NAO Refusing to Sign Off on Treasury Accounts?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brick, Jul 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has already been posted but I tried using the search feature and nothing turned up.

So from what the article says I'm guessing that the Treasury are trying to write up Northern Rock in such as way that they can keep it off the books whilst the NAO are saying that they have to put it down as a liability since the Government have guaranteed it, no doubt smashing a number of Brown's financial rules. It really does just beggar belief. And these are the people we entrust to run the government and the nation's economy?
  2. AND propelling Britain past Egypt and Hungary to the highest level of government debt in the world.

With over a thousand billion quid on the old corporate Barclaycard, you and I will be paying record levels of tax well after Cyclops retires to a string of lucrative directorships.
  3. You reckon anybody in the business world would employ him for his skills, knowledge and experience? I doubt it, unless as a Trainee........ :D
  4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Not forgetting of course all the PFI, civ and mil, that are off balance sheet
  5. I have lost count of the number of times I have said this on the Board
    Let Labour run the economy and all you have to do is just wait and they'll screw it.
    Tax and spend is basic Labour thinking.
  6. Tax and Spend, Borrow and Spend, Sell and Spend, Spend, Spend, Spend...

and get no tangible benefit for it.
  7. Yes Grey
    I agree, Brown will never be able to say he got value for money for all the Taxes he blew.
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Don't worry chaps - this Wednesday is when the accounts for the Labliar Party have to be signed off - if all goes as planned, they close the b@stards down and bankrupt Broon . . . . personally!

Of course, I'd expect some very hurried law changes between now and Wednesday to stop that happening. Yet another abuse of the laws of the land that apply to everyone BUT MPs and political parties.
  9. I could be wrong but isn't the NAO or the EU enfrcing some sort of accounting rules change in the near future that will force them all to be counted? I could have sworn I read something about it possibly happening a few months back.

Unfortunately I believe one or more of the unions have stepped in to guarentee the debt, thus keeping the Labour Party technically solvent. Which means not only do they get to keep trundling forwards to electoral oblivion but the unions effectively have their gonads in a vice for the next two years. Look forward to seeing all sorts of new demands being made soon.
  10. Brown is to blame. 'Captain' Darling is simply the guy who was too slow to say no to replacing 'Stalin' as Chancellor.

Brown is to blame, together with the third rate idiot Bliar, for the appalling state of this nation's finances.

Both should be impeached for irresponsibilty and for engaging in an illegal war.
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Brick, I think under new EU laws all the hidden PFI have to be brought onto the balance sheet. You'll be able to see how really fcuked you all are then ;) I've got the Bumper book of government waste at home and according to it, when they checked, for each household your in hock for 24,000 pounds by this bunch of chancers. Nice to know you still have to pay of the price of a family car once we get shot of this lot. No doubt that will rise a few quid by then too. New Labour, same sh1t!
  12. Nearly correct (but only because of the delays implmented by NuLiars):

13. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

That'll be more than the average UK salary I think...
  14. But the sheep and the client state will vote them again.

And how many people who now distance themselves were taken in by the Blair Third Way in the beginning..
  15. We're in more or less the same mess as in 1979. Cyclops is just better at lying than Jim Callaghan was - and Dave lacks the balls of Thatcher.

Regarding the prospect of Cyclops, Kieth Vaz, Harriet Harman, Dennis Skinner and the rest of the NEC being made personally bankrupt, I've revised my position.

I've now got no doubt that the unions will bail Labour out. They're more afraid of a Tory government than Cyclops is. However, I'm sure they'll extract their pound of flesh - every ounce of it. As I write this, I can see Gordon on his knees in front of the brothers at the TUC.

"Mr Courage" has already bent over and grabbed his ankles for his own back bench MPs to get the 42 day legislation passed. Lifting sanctions on Cuba and dishing out half a million quid each for redundant miners are reportedly coming to a Parliament near you before the next election.

What'll he be promising the TUC? Time off work whenever you feel like it it is on the cards already. Quadrupling the 'Union Modernisation Fund' to 40 million quid with a 50/50 split betweent the unions and the Labour party would seem to be the obvious solution.

Worryingly, there is some evidence that he's reached breaking point and is considering what's been referred to as a 'scorched earth' economic policy in the run up to the election.

Trouble is, it's you and I who'll be getting burned while Messrs Brown and Blair retire to an ex-pat tax haven to write their memoirs.