Nanotech technology for the battlefield

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PartTimePongo, Aug 17, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3154203.stm

Get's my vote. Nice to see the Boffins working on lightening the load, as opposed to giving us even more to carry...

More here, including video

http://www.bbcworld.com/content/template_clickonline.asp?pageid=666&co_pageid=2

Now, if they could just work on a cantilever system for the bergan.. :D

2. Great nvg the size of contact lenses :( might as well sign over my house deeds to the qm for all the kit i will lose .
    Nano tech is all very well believe it when i see it .But if the gear gets lighter you just get more of it :D check out the gear loads of previous wars it comes down to between 50 -80 pounds always

3. Can anyone remember the DERA / QinetiQ "Future Soldier" kit that was the subject of a BBC documentary a few years back? It had a helmet mounted monocle vision system for GPS, rifle sight etc, but unfortunately field trials showed the batteries and computers filling all of the pouches in a set of webbing......

Maybe a cheaper way of reducing the weight of the hi-tech kit would be to let Nokia or Siemens have a go!

4. That was also before QinetiQ / Amey went the way of the pear, i mean, plastic tanks? Amey had to cut half of there staff, bunch of useless jockeys they are.

5. I believe the Plastic Tank is still alive and well. Saw an article about it in a trade journal earlier this year.

6. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I remember reading an article last year about a system being developed that gave you the ability to run at 12 mph with full kit for up to 8 hours at a time. It basically provided each of your muscle groups an additional motorised piston and fitted around you like an exoskeleton...

7. If God had meant us to run anywhere, he wouldn't have invented 16 AA Bde.

Er, sorry. Can I take that back? :oops: