Nanking December1937

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bollock-chops, May 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone have any links to authenticate what actually did happen?

2. The best book I have read on this is 'The Rape of Nanking' by Iris Chang - it is well worth a read . Some of the photographs should convince any doubters.

3. The Good German of Nanking is also worth reading. A visit to the memorial is a must if you are ever in the area. I think that the massacre holds the record for the most people killed in the shortest period of time.

4. Agreed. I had my doubts about her dispassion as a historian, but there was no doubting her commitment to keeping these things in the public eye. A sad loss.

There was a film about the massacre released in Hong Kong in 1995 called 'Black Sun' (黑太陽) which I seem to recall used her earlier research. Not exactly something to watch with the missus, though. Try sticking that or 南京大屠杀 into Youtube and see if it's been uploaded.

5. A recent film was released about this which was pretty moving, especially when a Japanese soldier casually grabs a child and throws them out of the window! I didn't really even know about the event till I'd seen it. It is a shame really that people know very little about what happened in the far east.

6. City of Life and Death DVD

Nanjing, China 1937. Japanese forces invade this once-capital of the Republic of China on December 9th. Throughout the following six weeks, soldiers raped thousands of women and annihilated hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians with mass executions; crowds mown down by firing squads, and victims digging their own graves. Few events carry the ugly and sickening connotations of what has become known as the Rape of Nanking . Director Lu Chuan tells the horrifying story through several figures, including a conscience-stricken Japanese soldier and John Rabe, a Nazi businessman who would ultimately save thousands of Chinese civilians lives.

7. That looks more like the tail end of the Civil War, late 40s rather than 30s. The captions make mention of President Li Tsung-Jen (who incidentally proved it was possible for Chinese armies to defeat Japanese ones after all), yet he didn't become President of the Republic until 1947 or thereabouts.

8. did you check out the other films on the link

9. Most of them, yes. I'm still working my way through.

But since the one you linked directly to wasn't related to the events under discussion in this thread, I thought to point this out to avoid a misleading impression of who was fighting who at the time. The Communists were nowhere near Nanjing at the time of the 1937 massacre.

10. Nanking / Nanjing Massacre Memorial
    Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Interesting blog by some students who visited when it was newly opened.
    Writing through Race, Class and Gender » Nanking Massacre Museum
    and
    Nanjing Massacre
    official chinese massacre website in english
    Nanjing Massacre

Also some info on John Rabe
    John Rabe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Good Man of Nanking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and his house now a museum
    John Rabe House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. Thankyou for all the links, I have a lot of reading to do, thanks again.

12. Just to add an additional book putting Nanking into a WWII context is John Toland 's,
    Rising Sun - The Decline & Fall of the Japanese Empire 1936-1945

Rising Sun (Military Classics): Amazon.co.uk: John Toland: Books

"Perhaps his most important work, for which he won the Pulitzer Prize in 1971, is The Rising Sun. Based on original and extensive interviews with high Japanese officials who survived the war, the book chronicles Imperial Japan from the military rebellion of February 1936 to the end of World War II. The book won the Pulitzer because it was the first book in English to tell the history of the war in the Pacific from the Japanese point of view, rather than from an American perspective."

This 900 page doorstopper is a cracking and enlightening read, that only deals with Nanking in a few pages, but gives you an entirely different insight into how the Japanese perceived their righteous war and campaigns, akin to Shirer's masterful, Rise & Fall of the Third Reich.
    I recall one grotesque snapshot by Toller describing a competition covered daily in the Japanese press between two officers tallying up how many chinese heads they had lopped off - it was well over one hundred each.
    Nanking was a 'big thing' when it happened and was covered in lurid detail by the world's press and movie news reels.
    Laurence Rees's BBC doc, Horror in the East makes very useful if disturbing viewing.
    Horror in the East DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Edward Herrmann, Samuel West, Alan Lygo, Laurence Rees, Martina Balazova: DVD

The Chinese needless-to-say are putting their particular 'spin' on this part of their history with Japan, mind you with a great deal of justification - just omitting what Mao & his fellows were up to as well.