Nancy Wake - RIP

Discussion in 'Australia' started by beagleboy, Aug 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached Files:

2. A life lived to the full. A very very brave and intelligent woman. RIP.

3. Truly a heroine whose courage and initiative in France did a lot when the locals needed heads' knocking.
    Like you, beagleboy, I had the honour of first meeting her - when she was having a problem with an electronic swipe card at a black door in Knightsbridge,
    and was having no joy with the entryphone despite a number of epithets that would make a trooper blush.
    Finally the club secretary hastened down to open up after she threatened to blow the bloody door in - he said later that he was never quite sure if she was joking.
    A remarkable Lady whose life has been told a number of times, but was not always the easiest person to get on with in her latter years.
    Prince Charles did his best for her with St.Ermin's Hotel where he picked up her tab.
    It would be good if her medals were finally reacquired [yet again] for display in Canberra.
    May she now rest in peace.

4. Yes, I remember when she gave a former PM a very hard time over veterans entitlements and recognition. I think that was about the same time as she left Australia to live in the UK for the last time.

5. I'm pretty sure it was Nancy who marched out in disgust from the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of the Liberation of Paris, exclaiming in a loud voice and what about the British? Mitterand had not mentioned them once during the whole evening. As she strode down the steps beside us my father said that's The White Mouse, isn't she magnificent!

6. What a woman! RIP White Mouse

7. A truly impressive back story. What disappoints me is that (unless I blinked and missed it) there wasn't any mention of her demise on the weekend news.
    RIP Madam, it is time for you to put you feet up and enjoy those daily Gin and Tonics!!

8. It is a privilage to read some personal accounts here - thanks for sharing them.

Rest in Peace Ma'am - we will remember.