Name the book.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by BryanTheMegalodon, Aug 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Few weeks ago I picked up a book by an author the name of whom I cannot remember for the life of me. It was set in NI, I believe in the 80s and involved a fictitious unit, the Airborne Assualt Commandos, written from the viewpoint of a newly commissioned subby. I got to the point where their Adjt was killed in a mortar attack and the CO was demanding a gun-carriage funeral down the Falls. I put it down, went to sort some shit out and someone pinched it. Anyone out there know the title and author as would really like to finish what was quite an engrossing read?

2. Alan Judd A Breed of Heroes
    Amazon have plenty for sale

3. Sure it wasn't Tropper's autobiography?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Read it again last week, good book, fun to read and available on Kindle. The CO is in itself a great pen picture of what a tour in those days did to people.

5. On a similar trend, anyone remember this one also set in NI, soldier meets girl, girl gets knocked up, gets tarred and feathered, soldier dies. Must have been written pre-1980.

Orangey cover, may have been a Penguin?

6. The Feathermen?

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1

8. Nope, read it around 1979-80.

9. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

You know what, i have been wondering what that programme was for ages! thanks fior that, unlikely to be able to track it down to watch again though.
    Just looked at the wikipedia page for the book, there is a sequel called legacy.

10. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

It's on iBooks as well

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. Ok, lets play name that book.

Theres this catapiller right?
    And the problem is that he doesn't seem to have eaten in a while.....

• Like Like x 1
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I always thought he was from Eastern Europe?

There was at least one clip on Youtube.
    The whole thing must be out there somewhere.

13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

What about the one about the insomniac bear? Spends the night trying to get his head down, eventually falls asleep as the sun comes up, only for Zero Alpha to bring him a brew?