Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name That Storm

Around here (SW Wales), you can always tell when it's going to/is blowing a hooley 'cos all the trawlers run in to safe haven:

MHPA.png

35 knot winds currently, gusting 40 knots.

I'm camping below Cadair Idris, it's been rough most people have left early with a lot of tents broken or blown away

At least I have no mobile signal there, so work can't contact me, don't seem to have missed much except the BBC going full
Woke over last night of the proms

View attachment 499143
As promised Tropical Storms Laura and Marco. A double whammy for Louisiana and neighbouring states. Marco will make landfall tomorrow morning while Laura saunters in on Wednesday.

With two storms so close together there is also a chance of a Fujiwhara effect. Sounds like fun. Read all about it;

We didn't get the Fujiwhara effect (Marco seems to have been a damp squib) but Laura has hit land in Louisiana as a Cat 4 hurricane.

Not going to be good for the locals with 30' storm surges and likely flash flooding from 18" of rain.

Fortunately it appears to be weakening as it moves inland.

As a Dave Allenist may their God go with them.

Addendum to above post.

Laura hit Louisiana as a Cat 4 but quickly degraded to Cat 2. The death toll appears to be 6 (at the moment) which is a light toll for a Cat 4. There was serious destruction, damage, power cuts etc.

The expected storm surge did not occur (another stroke of luck).

It is now rampaging across Arkansas having been downgraded to a Tropical Storm.

nana omar.png

Two new storms have formed in the Atlantic, Nana is heading for Central America while Omar is not expected to make landfall and should die in the mid-Atlantic next week.

teddy vicky.png

Things have been busy in the Atlantic of late. In fact so busy they've almost blown through the list of names for this season. Next up is Wilfred, the last on the 2020 list. Subsequent storm names will be from the Greek Alphabet; Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and so on.

This has only happened once before, in 2005, when they used six names from the Greek Alphabet.

Teddy is expected to swing north early on Sunday heading for New England and Canada. A forecast, sharp southward plunge of the jet stream over the Northeast U.S. this weekend could determine where Teddy ends up, either driving it north west towards Canada or allowing it curve northeast and possibly towards this parish.

Vicky is forecast to peter out by Friday, more or less in her current position.

View attachment 505086
Things have been busy in the Atlantic of late. In fact so busy they've almost blown through the list of names for this season. Next up is Wilfred, the last on the 2020 list. Subsequent storm names will be from the Greek Alphabet; Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and so on.

This has only happened once before, in 2005, when they used six names from the Greek Alphabet.

Teddy is expected to swing north early on Sunday heading for New England and Canada. A forecast, sharp southward plunge of the jet stream over the Northeast U.S. this weekend could determine where Teddy ends up, either driving it north west towards Canada or allowing it curve northeast and possibly towards this parish.

Vicky is forecast to peter out by Friday, more or less in her current position.

I see Teddy and Vicky.

What was the missing one. Ulysses? Are NOAA James Joyce fans? We need to know Herr SturmMeister.

I see Teddy and Vicky.

What was the missing one. Ulysses? Are NOAA James Joyce fans? We need to know Herr SturmMeister.
There's no Q, U, X, Y or Z name, which seems a pity. Hurricanes Ulysses and Xena would be great.

On that same subject our 2020/21 Storm Names are Aiden, Bella, Christoph, Darcy, Evert, Fleur, Gavin, Heulwen, Iain, Julia, Klaas, Lilah, Minne, Naia, Oscar, Phoebe, Ravi, Saidhbhín, Tobias, Veronica, Wilson.

There's no Q, U, X, Y or Z name, which seems a pity. Hurricanes Ulysses and Xena would be great.

On that same subject our 2020/21 Storm Names are Aiden, Bella, Christoph, Darcy, Evert, Fleur, Gavin, Heulwen, Iain, Julia, Klaas, Lilah, Minne, Naia, Oscar, Phoebe, Ravi, Saidhbhín, Tobias, Veronica, Wilson.
The meaning of the Welsh name ‘Heulwen’ is ‘Sun Blessed’.
Excellent name for a storm.

Saidhbhín means "god is gracious". Not if the sodding storm blows your house down or a tree falls on your car and offs you.

It would be a laugh if NOAA called the fourth storm Daniel as Trump would freak out at the news reports. "Storm (short e) Daniels effect has been severe"

Gazza

Are they just the Paddy names. I assume they aren't the Septic names as errr, ummm, siedhurrrbin would confuse a few weather bimbos.

Maybe not as much as Eyjafjallajökull though.

Gazza

Are they just the Paddy names. I assume they aren't the Septic names as errr, ummm, siedhurrrbin would confuse a few weather bimbos.

Maybe not as much as Eyjafjallajökull though.

The 2020/21 winter storm names have been agreed by Met Eireann, the Met Office and Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI). It gets confusing when we get affected by storms that have been named by the French, Spanish and Portuguese. Ex-Hurricanes that drift this way also retain their American names.

Saidhbhín means "god is gracious". Not if the sodding storm blows your house down or a tree falls on your car and offs you.

I had a grin when I saw Saidhbhín. Met Eireann always throws in a Gaelic tongue twister to wind up the English. Sadhbh (and alternative spellings Sadb, Saibh, Sadbh, Sadhb, Sive ) is a woman from Irish mythology. Despite using every consonant available, it's pronounced to rhyme with five (5). The ...ín (pronounced ..een) is a diminutive, so little Sadhbh. Put it all together and you get Sive..een. Not to be confused with sleveen - an underhanded, cunning barsteward.

wilfre beta.png

It's all go in the Atlantic. Sally and Vicky have died. Wilfred and Beta formed since yesterday. What happened Alpha, I wonder?

Edited to add that Alpha formed, and quickly died, yesterday off the coast of Portugal.

Current forecast track for Teddy.

Last edited:

Paulette (wind history chart above), the sneaky conniving bitch, was dead a few days ago but has now revived into a Tropical Storm south of the Azores and is heading for the Straits of Gibraltar.

Latest Threads