Name That Storm

Kirkz

LE
Reading that list I thought it was the cast of Allo Allo.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Apparently, a mature oak tree can absorb 50 gallons of water per day. Yet we chop them down; madness.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I seem to recall from my O-level Biology (Transpiration) that on a hot, sunny, windy day a mature oak can transpire (sweat, if you like) a thousand gallons of water out. Like you say, madness.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Using J-button, I find the question of Beavers being reintroduced being discussed here of all places. It's back in the news today. Sorry the link is the Express. I got it on local radio.

If you want to support beavers, click here.

Edit: SAFE FOR WORK!

Last edited:

Arfur is still wandering up the east coast of the US. It doesn't appear that he'll be heading this way though.

Edited to add that according to the Irish Weather Forecast this evening a little Baby Arfur will break away and head towards this Parish, arriving Thursday night.

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Arfur is still wandering up the east coast of the US. It doesn't appear that he'll be heading this way though.
Obviously avoiding any contact with Covid-19.

Looks like the sub-continent is in for a pounding; reported elsewhere as the 'strongest storm ever'. At least it will give the streets sewers a flush.

'A strong cyclone was moving toward India and Bangladesh on Tuesday as authorities tried to evacuate millions of people while maintaining social distancing.

'Cyclone Amphan is expected to make landfall on Wednesday afternoon, and forecasters warned of extensive damage from high winds, heavy rainfall, tidal waves and some flooding in crowded cities like Kolkata. The cyclone had winds of 220-230 kilometres per hour and is forecast to weaken before landfall around India’s West Bengal state and Bangladesh.

'It is the second super cyclone on record that has formed over the Bay of Bengal, said Mrutyunjay Mohapatra, India’s meteorological chief. The first of that classification was the devastating 1999 cyclone in Odisha state that left nearly 10,000 people dead. “This type of cyclone can be disastrous. … It is completely unsafe,” Mohapatra said.'

The Son of Arthur will be doing a fly by tonight and tomorrow. Gales forecast on Atlantic coasts with strong winds inland accompanied by heavy rain at times.

Edited to add this pic of Baby Arthur yesterday. He's so cute. Píssed rain in Tipperary last night from about 8 pm and very windy at times. It's still a bit breezy outside and a lot cooler than the last few days.

Last edited:

Tropical Storm Bertha and the Hurricane season doesn't start until Monday. 2012 was the last year that saw two TSs in May.

Apparently we have a large trough with a deep core developing over western Europe today. A trough is an elongated region of relatively low pressure according to Wikipedia and most troughs bring clouds, showers, and a wind shift. That's been happening here since Wednesday. The temps dropped like a stone from the mid-20s to the mid teens and we had some light rain on Wednesday night and last night, about 1.5mm in total.

According to Severe Weather Europe the relatively small surface low forming over the North Sea today could see severe winds along eastern Scotland and northeast England. Locally extremely severe winds possible over the Scottish Highlands. The Low will be gradually moving south and weakening until Saturday.

Into next week the trough will create a channel towards the Arctic resulting in a colder air mass into western Europe first and into central and southwestern Europe this weekend. Next week will be cooler over the western half and warmer over the eastern half of Europe, bringing southerly winds over central Europe. This normally means storms on a daily basis. The Alps and surrounding areas may see 300 mm to 500 mm of rainfall over the next week.

Meanwhile across the Atlantic Tropical Storm Cristobal was named earlier in the week. Cris was born in the Gulf of Campeche on Monday and has been loitering over southern Mexico as a Tropical Depression since. This weekend he is expected to head north, skipping merrily over Trump's Wall to make landfall in Louisiana on Sunday evening. This particular Wetback will be heading north for Canada across the American Mid West next week. Tropical Storms making landfall in the US in June are rare and this will be the fourth on record with the last in 1986. Lots of rain forecast from east Texas to Florida.

Cristobal is the third named storm this year. On average the third storm is named on 13th August so it seems 2020 will be a busy Hurricane season.

As I understand it there has so far been little rain in Norway the past week or two but that is about to change and with potentially serious consequences. There is a yellow risk of landslides in many areas. The devastating landslide on Wednesday, at Alta in Norway, which swept away 8 houses and a dog, seems to have resulted from Spring snow melt.

Spring snow melt is an annual thing but Norway had a long winter with more snow than usual. Half of this snow has not yet melted so there is significant flood risk already and danger of further landslides across the country. Unfortunately substantial amounts of rain are forecast for Saturday and Sunday.

In Alta There isn't much to go before the road is lost.

I found a Norwegian article about the landslide, by Elise Holda, on the NRK site.

Fortsatt fare for flom og jordskred: – Bare kvitt halvparten av snøen

Google translation follows:

Continued danger of flooding and landslides: - Only get rid of half the snow
There is still a lot of snowmelt before the danger of flooding and landslides can be reduced in large parts of the country. Now the experts hope for as little rainfall as possible to avoid the most dramatic situations.

1591355698825.png

Today there is still landslide danger at yellow level for large parts of northern Norway and southern Norway. Persistent snowmelt has led to several landslide events in recent days, especially in Finnmark and Troms. Here from the landslide in Alta which brought with it eight buildings.

- It is important to emphasize that there is a lot of snow left in the mountains. We only got rid of about half in this country. In parts of central Norway and the whole of northern Norway we have more than half left, says Bjørn Sønju-Moltzau in NVE.

He is a hydrologist and flood alert in NVE, and has busy days at the moment.

On Wednesday afternoon there was a large landslide at Kråkneset in Alta. Eight buildings were swept on the sea. This weekend there was also a big snow and landslide in Lyngen. The road was blocked off by the avalanche just in front of the Poll Mountain tunnel.

The next few days there is a danger of several such landslides and floods in large parts of the country.

The spring that finally came after a long winter, especially in northern Norway, led to an abrupt transition from low to high temperatures. This combined with the extremely snowy winter means that there is a lot of snowmelt, which leads to high water saturation in the ground.

All this increases the chance of more landslides and floods in the time to come.

- There is definitely reason to straighten your back and keep a close watch. The danger is not over, Sønju-Moltzau tells NRK.

There is more in the article, which goes in to some detail about hydrology and weather. It seems if it wasn't for warm weather conditions around Pentacost the situation could have been even worse. I assume they mean that there would have been even more than half the snow remaining and so the Spring floods could have been much more intense.

Below is a video showing the aftermath of some of the landslide, then the person taking the video starts to run as he feels the ground moving. He escapes in time to film the remaining destruction.

1591353614404.png

Houses swept away in powerful landslide in Norway

Last edited:

Tropical Storm Gonzalo is expected to become a Hurricane today, the first of the season.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I notice Bermuda on that map of Gonzalo (it often gets left out).

I went there a few years ago for a summer holiday/wedding. Flew into the bad weather from an incoming hurricane that had bolloxed lots of America. All the other attendees were late as they shut the airport down just after our (somewhat bumpy) plane landed.

I was delighted as I always wanted to see a hurricane close up. My friends perhaps less so.

Luckily for them, but not for me, it was downgraded to a tropical storm before it hit the island. Still pretty impressive though.

I snapped a few pics. Sadly they don't capture the raw power of the storm.

storm 2.JPG

Storm.JPG

The winds were 90mph gusting upwards. Those chairs came in pretty sharpish (apart from the ones that went airborne).

The hotel gave you these poncho things. Because obviously, being a bloke, you just have to go outdoors in a hurricane.
storm 3.jpg

There are some photos of me and that bloke leaning into the wind at about a 45degree angle but they are probably with the ex-missus.

The storm and the Goslings rum were the best bits of the holiday.

Last edited:
Some phenomenal meteorology there Gary.

You predicted Gonzalo with 100% accuracy on the 27th May.

Outstanding.
I noticed that previous maps are automatically updating to the latest one. I didn't think that should or could happen.

Latest Threads