Name That Storm

JCC

War Hero
I occasionally hear that a lot of the flooding is due to a reduction in the dredging of the rivers, and the concreting over of the natural floodplains. Did weather like this occur previously? If it did was there widespread flooding? Has any dredging been re-started? Have the Somerset Levels been flooded this year ? Are they now dredged?

Or like the idea of controlled burns of forest and bush in Az is that an "incorrect" question?

Or like the idea of controlled burns of forest and bush in Az is that an "incorrect" question?
Google is your pal regarding UK adverse weather disasters.
Endless information available with a simple mouse-click.

JCC

War Hero
@Ecosse thanks for the feedback but I often find that Arrse inhabitants have information, viewpoints and opinions that are not publicised; not confidential but unwelcome. For instance I can't find much on whether dredging has restarted on the Levels and, if so, what impact this years weather has been but I bet someone here lives there.

But this "Google" thing may help you say - toptip there and many thanks.

My pleasure Sir.
This might be a recent enough snippet, but I know what you mean.

@Ecosse thanks for the feedback but I often find that Arrse inhabitants have information, viewpoints and opinions that are not publicised; not confidential but unwelcome. For instance I can't find much on whether dredging has restarted on the Levels and, if so, what impact this years weather has been but I bet someone here lives there.

But this "Google" thing may help you say - toptip there and many thanks.
The BBC article you linked to is fairly detailed. It's a bit more complex than yea or nay on dredging apparently. Even if you do dredge the volume can overcome it.

JCC

War Hero
The BBC article you linked to is fairly detailed. It's a bit more complex than yea or nay on dredging apparently. Even if you do dredge the volume can overcome it.
Can't argue with that but I wonder in those recent examples when the poor sods were sitting up all night to see if the floods overtopped the defences a bit of dredging may have helped? Not a magic bullet but....

Blizzard conditions on the Heads of the Valleys an hour ago. Literally couldn't see the road. 2 miles later burst into brilliant sunshine and blue skies.

White dog poo is a rarity these days.

Sunny here in Northern Britain but a bit of a cold wind
I last saw white dog poo when I was a child in York, an Italian POW was drawing on a wall with it to explain to a friend, (it was a long time ago)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I occasionally hear that a lot of the flooding is due to a reduction in the dredging of the rivers, and the concreting over of the natural floodplains. Did weather like this occur previously? If it did was there widespread flooding? Has any dredging been re-started? Have the Somerset Levels been flooded this year ? Are they now dredged?

Dredging in the Somerset levels was stopped because eco experts claimed it was depriving voles of homes.

Then a few years of flooding deprived people of their homes and voles of their lives.

Dredging has now resumed and there has been minimal flooding this winter.

Who'd have thought it?

These Eco mentalists get on my tits, they'll go to any lengths to protect the lesser spotted furtling gurgle plant, yet moan like fuck when everything floods because of heavy rain.
Whats more important, a plant that can be dug up and relocated thus saving it, or peoples homes and livelihoods at risk of flooding.
Get building big feck off run off channels, much like they have in the USA, When we have events of flooding like we are having at the moment the water can be diverted along these flood channels and away from people's homes and businesses.

Build houses on flood plains, wonder why houses built on flood plains get flooded.

OK, build flood defences for houses built on flood plains that flood. All the water that used to 'let off steam' on the flood plains now does exactly the same further downstream.

Rinse (SWIDT) and repeat.

They're on about introducing Beavers into the upper reaches of Rivers in Mid Wales. The beavers building their lodges act as natural dams, slowing the flow of water downstream.

Eco mentalists are happy, homeowners are happy as the risk of flooding is reduced and its nature being given a little helping hand.

They're on about introducing Beavers into the upper reaches of Rivers in Mid Wales. The beavers building their lodges act as natural dams, slowing the flow of water downstream.

Eco mentalists are happy, homeowners are happy as the risk of flooding is reduced and its nature being given a little helping hand.
Yeah, but then when the beavers run riot, we'll need wolves. Once the wolves kick in and there's no cats left, see who moans then.

Yeah, but then when the beavers run riot, we'll need wolves. Once the wolves kick in and there's no cats left, see who moans then.
That's the thing, they won't.
They coppice the trees, this strengthens the bankside root systems of those trees firming up the banks.

They breed but are relatively slow at it and only if they have the environment to support a litter.

That's the thing, they won't.
They coppice the trees, this strengthens the bankside root systems of those trees firming up the banks.

They breed but are relatively slow at it and only if they have the environment to support a litter.
You sure? What if they're chav beavers? They breed like rats.