Name That Storm

The big storm a few years back wiped out the whole uk supply of fence panels. Iirc they had to charter a special ships worth from Latvia to bring more in.
It was about the time that Insurers removed fence panels from cover.
Yeah, got fed up of replacing fence panels and built a wall around the back yard a couple of years ago.

Storm Gareth is it? Well, at least I've got a name for the big bastard wind that is currently making me seasick with the way it's swaying my building right now. Gusting way past fifty-odd miles per hour according to Accuweather's online page.
50mph gusts are making your building sway?

Do you live in a teepee?

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Got a fence panel down in the back garden, going to be at least Friday afternoon before the winds drop and I'll be able to get it in place again.
That will really mess with my OCD.
I'll bet the roofers and fencing industry are rubbing their hands with glee!
We used to have to replace at least one panel every time there was a big storm. Now we use little grippy things that stop the bottom of the panel pulling away from the concrete bottom section. No replacements since putting them in.

Only useful if you have a concrete lower panel with birchlap-style wooden panel on top, but it has saved us a lot in replacement panels over the years.

We used to have to replace at least one panel every time there was a big storm. Now we use little grippy things that stop the bottom of the panel pulling away from the concrete bottom section. No replacements since putting them in.

Only useful if you have a concrete lower panel with birchlap-style wooden panel on top, but it has saved us a lot in replacement panels over the years.
Thanks, they are ideal for me :)
Any idea what they are called or of you can get them online? I replaced three panels last year (I had just moved in a few months before) and if it can save my new panels so much the better.
The older panels are pretty much doomed though so I'll wait for them to fail and replace as and when.

Ignore that, just noticed your pic actually goes to the ebay page when clicked!

50mph gusts are making your building sway?

Do you live in a teepee?
Nope. High flat with steel girder construction. And I'm fourteen floors up. The building is designed to sway in high winds rather than stay sturdy as a rock against the elements and hence collapse. When the wind reaches about seventy, that's when things get really interesting in the Chinese sense of the word.

Today's storm in southern Norway. I think it's the same one that brought a bit of a blow and a drop of rain to the UK yesterday.

Edited to add another view

Last edited:

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks, they are ideal for me :)
Any idea what they are called or of you can get them online? I replaced three panels last year (I had just moved in a few months before) and if it can save my new panels so much the better.
The older panels are pretty much doomed though so I'll wait for them to fail and replace as and when.
As an update and spur to anyone thinking of buying these things, we still haven't had to replace a panel since fitting the grips. Even the storm the other night failed to budge them.