Name That Storm

Another one. This is all getting a bit silly.

The UK and Irish Met services have a list of winter storm names. So far this winter there have been three such storms, Ali, Bronagh and Callum.

France Spain and Portugal have their own storm names. Etienne is on their list. As far as I can tell the rainfall in SW England will be associated with Etienne while the wind warning in Scotland will be Deirdre.

To add to the confusion when an ex-Hurricane hits these parts that storm retains the Hurricane name assigned it by the Septics.

So far the British Isles have had Storms Helene, Ali, Bronagh, Callum, Leslie, Adrian, Beatriz, Etienne and possibly Deirdre.
I thought storm Deirdre hit in early November?

Will Deirdre finally arrive this weekend? Met Eireann have used her name in a Warning, so we're looking good.

Status Orange - Wind warning for Ireland
A developing depression (Storm Deirdre) will track northeast over Ireland during Saturday afternoon and evening and will bring wet and windy weather to all areas.
West or northwest winds will reach mean speeds of 65km/h with gusts of 100km/h generally, with disruptive and damaging gusts to 130km/h likely for a few hours in western and southern counties in the late afternoon and transferring eastwards during the evening.
Issued: Friday 14 December 2018 22:00
Updated: Friday 14 December 2018 22:00
Valid from Saturday 15 December 2018 15:00 to Saturday 15 December 2018 23:59

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Ireland
Heavy rain during Saturday will lead to accumulations of 30 to 50mm with some mountainous areas exceeding these limits.
Issued: Friday 14 December 2018 10:00
Updated: Friday 14 December 2018 10:00
Valid from Saturday 15 December 2018 00:01 to Saturday 15 December 2018 23:59

A pair of zebras’ ar#eholes, the technical term for deep lows with steep pressure gradients. The lines (isobars) connect points of equal atmospheric pressure. The closer they are, the steeper the pressure gradient and the stronger the wind.

Air flows from high to low as wind and this is then twisted by the spin of the earth (Correolis Force) which is why winds blow pretty much anti-clockwise around low pressure systems in the Northern Hemisphere.

Generally secondary lows present stronger winds and it’s the secondary off South West Ireland that’ll be causing the current blow. See chart below:

6898F6C4-E7B3-44A4-AD45-9BC71F6F51CD.jpeg

Here at Milford Haven we're at gusts of 55-60mph and waves at 2/3m-God knows what it's like out past St Anne's Head (mouth of the Haven).

We've even got a bit of a chop going on in the marina, which is kinda odd. Still, I can see the boat from the dining room window and it is:

a. Still there.

b. The right way up.

so it's all good.

Pretty gash here in Wiltshire. Cold rain, blustery and miserable all round. I’m sat indoors, with the wood burner on, watching NZ versus Sri Lanka cricket highlights. Weather looks lovely in Wellington, NZ! =-)