Name That Storm

UK storms are now named, and we've just had the joy of Abigail (Nigel and Steve among new storm names - BBC News). @LordVonHarley expressed his disappointment at the standard of names given and so suggestions are invited for something a little more interesting, creative and descriptive. So far we've had:

Storm Nigel? Really! No wonder we lost the empire with that level of imagination.
How about using a mighty "Thor storm" level for big one's that knock over trees and " Cock storms" for small ones that are only good for delaying trains in London?
Nanna storm, the sort that ruffles your hair as it passes...
Or that uncle storm that lifts up skirts.
Brickie storm: whistles while it works.
Sh!t storm: involves a very angry wife.
Over to you lot...

Tropical Storm Typhoo - usually happens in teacups ...

Hurricane Heinz - extremely windy conditions, without much precipitation ...

I've had great fun with teenager 2 this weekend given that her name is the same as the storm - every time it rains I get to prod her and tell her 'it's all your fault'. Childish but mildly amusing.

Bugsy storm all wind and water with a lot if shit at the end.

The public voted on the storm names. It was an entirely democratic process and complaining about the names insults the Constitution. Now stop your fúcking whining and batten down the hatches. Mind you who the hell came up with Gertrude for the love of God.

Met Éireann and the UK Met Office release list of winter storm names

20 October 2015

The National Meteorological Services of Ireland and the UK, Met Éireann and the Met Office, have teamed up in a joint initiative to bring greater public awareness of warnings for medium and high-impact windstorms affecting Ireland and/or the UK. Working together it is hoped that naming winter storms will help raise public awareness of severe weather and ensure greater public safety. A list of storm names has been agreed using names common to Ireland and the UK, carefully selected from amongst those submitted by the public. This common list will be used by both organisations.

This scheme is focussed on large-scale, cyclonic windstorms with potential for significant land-based wind impacts – often systems which develop rapidly and/or move quickly towards us; this means that all severe wind events giving rise to status Orange or status Red weather warnings will be named.

In the case of ex-tropical Storms or hurricanes, the original name allocated by the US National Hurricane Centre in Miami will continue to be used.

Names will be assigned based on the potential for a disruptive event following liaison between the Duty Forecasters in both Dublin and Exeter. This also means that occasionally there will be storms named which prove to have less impact or do not develop as expected.

Technically, in the Beaufort Scale, the term ‘Storm’ is reserved for wind events of mean speeds between 89 and 102 km/h. These are rare enough events overland in Ireland, occurring every couple of years or so on average; somewhat more frequently in the coastal waters around Ireland. However in the cases outlined here, names may be assigned at substantially lower thresholds.

Met Éireann would like to thank everyone who submitted suggestions. The agreed list for this Winter Season is as follows:

Abigail
Barney
Clodagh
Desmond
Eva
Frank
Gertrude
Henry
Imogen
Jake
Katie
Lawrence
Mary
Nigel
Orla
Phil
Rhonda
Steve
Tegan
Vernon
Wendy

So no-one suggested Quentin, Ursula, Xavier or Zelda?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
This is just a storm in a thread teacup.

And it was bad enough having to remember names like Dogger, Faroes, Bailey, Shannon, etc.

We haven't even had a good storm since I was a boy.

Why, I remember when....

I swore my oath to the Queen the day of the Great Storm of 1987*. We didn't need no poncy names back then!

*The Sgt at the ACIO was surprised I turned up as I lived 20 miles away, roads were blocked and there was no public transport running. Never underestimate the tenacity of a QA! ;)

I knew a Gertrude at school, she was in the year below very spotty, braces, had massive bristols, and had the hots for me. I spent a whole year avoiding her.
I bumped in to her 15 years later and she had turned into a drop dead gorgeous young lady.
This has nothing to do with storms, just the ramblings of an old man.....

I swore my oath to the Queen the day of the Great Storm of 1987*. We didn't need no poncy names back then!

*The Sgt at the ACIO was surprised I turned up as I lived 20 miles away, roads were blocked and there was no public transport running. Never underestimate the tenacity of a QA! ;)
I remember that storm well. It was on my birthday :)

I have a lump of wood hanging on the wall from a tree that got blown over in the storm.

My favourite name for a storm would be "the mothering-law" of all storms and called "Storm Joy" ironic really! But by fukc it would be saved for a real doozy! It would appear without warning, blow hard hot & cold, knock you off your feet, get between you and the Mrs and would leave death and destruction behind it!
Welcome to my life!

The Weather Channel in the States has this list of winter storms for 2015-16. They're not official or acknowledged by the NWS

Ajax
– From Greek mythology: a hero in Homer’s epic, Iliad, about the Trojan War known for his strength and courage.

Bella – The feminine form of the Latin word for beautiful. Also, coincidentally, Latin for wars. So bella bella means beautiful wars.

Cara (CAH-ruh) – From Latin, meaning beloved.

Delphi (DEL-fahy) – An ancient Greek city best known as the home of the oracle and the sanctuary of Apollo in Greek mythology.

Echo – From Greek mythology: Echo was a nymph given a speech impediment so she could only repeat what she heard.

Ferus (FAIR-us) – From Latin meaning wild or untamed.

Goliath – From the Hebrew name Golyat. Best known as Goliath of Gath in the biblical story of David and Goliath.

Hera – From Greek mythology: The perpetually jealous sister and wife of Zeus and the goddess of women and marriage.

Ilias (IL-ee-as)– Derived from the Greek name, Elias, which derives from the Hebrew name, Elijjah.

Jonas – From the Latin spelling, Ionas, of the name Jonah.

Kayla (KAY-la rhymes with say-la) – Short form of Katherine. Associated with the Greek word, katharos, meaning pure.

Lexi (LEX–ee) – Short for Alexander or Alexandra. From the Greek name, Aléxandros, meaning defender/protector of men.

Mars – From ancient Roman mythology: the god of war.

Nacio (NAH-see-oh) – Short for Ignacio, derived from the Ancient Roman name, Ignatius, related to the Latin word, ignīre, meaning to set on fire.

Olympia: An ancient Greek city. The site of the ancient athletic competitions which became known as the Olympic Games.

Petros (PEH-tros) – From Greek meaning stone. Evolved to be spelled Peter.

Quo – Latin word which generally translates in which or similar.

Regis (REE-jis) – The possessive form of the Latin word for king.

Selene (Seh-LEEN) – From Greek mythology. The goddess of the moon.

Troy – Best known as the site of the Trojan War described in the Homer’s ancient Greek epic, the Iliad.

Ursula (ERR-sel-uh) – Character name from William Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, from Latin meaning little bear.

Vexo – From Latin meaning I annoy or harass.

Waylon (WAY-lun) – Derived from Wieland from German mythology: a craftsman in metal of the highest skill.

Xenos (ZEE-nos) – Greek word meaning stranger or alien.

Yolo (yo-lo) – An acronym for you only live once. The modern version of the Latin phrase, carpe diem, which is usually translated seize the day.

Zandor (zan-door) – Derived from Alexander. From the Greek name, Aléxandros, meaning defender/protector of men.

Typhoon 'Oisin' - starts out as a localised bout of high pressure, veers off into the horizon but gathers strength after joining with another weather front and returns. Can cause some localised damage but fails to be too disruptive. It is quickly forgotten.

Copying the states yet again..........:-|

What happened to stiff upper lipped "its going to be slightly stormy out tonight"......?