Name that Missile

Poppycock

War Hero
I'll start: can anyone ID this missile?

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 02.33.53.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 02.34.08.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 02.34.27.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 02.35.06.png

There's a Twitter thread here which seems informative. That said, if that's an Mi-17, the missile looks large for a man-portable ATGM. Edit - so I can't answer the question. It is interesting.

Last edited:
There's a Twitter thread here which seems informative. That said, if that's an Mi-17, the missile looks large for a man-portable ATGM. Edit - so I can't answer the question. It is interesting.

Here is the geolocation your twwet mention by this guy...

Poppycock

War Hero

Cheers - very relevant

This is the most interesting tweet in that thread for me, a satellite image of the base suggesting the missile could have been fired from the far side of the neighbouring gully:

Last edited:
1616529839875.png

Coming down? Or is that a trick of perspective?
I wondered that. Comparing the apparent size of the missile to the target, it looks (taking a punt) approx 2.5m in length and with a large diameter. The tweeter says Fagot but that missile is (Wiki says) approx 1m in length and 120mm in diameter. It doesn't seem to fit, unless there's some distortion caused by how the footage was filmed?

Poppycock

War Hero
Oh give over would you - they're no where near big enough to sheer a helicopter fuselage off

This was my first speculation - as yet not disproved
siege arrow.jpg

It’s a bit big for the screen. Can you make it smaller?
They are supposed to make themselves smaller, or at least scatter themselves in to small pieces over a wide area when close to their target. . The fact this one didn't only adds weight to my giant arrow theory.

Oh give over would you - they're no where near big enough to sheer a helicopter fuselage off

This was my first speculation - as yet not disproved
View attachment 559669

They are supposed to make themselves smaller, or at least scatter themselves in to small pieces over a wide area when close to their target. . The fact this one didn't only adds weight to my giant arrow theory.
Afghanistan? Here's a photo of the crew in action. Handsome devils considering the local gene pool, don't you think?
1616531685983.png

The thing is that the technology and components out there and anyone with some techno-nous could make something good enough to do the job. There was a report some years ago here that a US Plod helicopter had been targeted by one of the large amateur rockets, it missed.

KnightsofRowallan

LE
Book Reviewer
The thing is that the technology and components out there and anyone with some techno-nous could make something good enough to do the job. There was a report some years ago here that a US Plod helicopter had been targeted by one of the large amateur rockets, it missed.

IIRC, didn't PIRA have a go at making their own IR-SAM back in the 90s.
If what I was told to be believed they were on the right path to a viable weapon.

IIRC, didn't PIRA have a go at making their own IR-SAM back in the 90s.
If what I was told to be believed they were on the right path to a viable weapon.

Yes, saw pics of it and it was all over the telly for a week too. It was pretty crude really from what I remember.

Nowadays the hardware for model rocketry could easily be used for offensive projectiles. It depends how much of a blunt object you would want to make, whether you want to make it guided, or more autonomous. You could have a simple missile that is point and shoot with no guidance, except maybe a widget made from and arduino, or raspberry pi connected to an ultrasonic distance measuring widget set to go bang at a pre-set distance from a target. Or, throw in some reasonable R/C gear to guide it onto target, or if you have a really clever techy person then there are thermal modules out there which could be used as the seekers in heat seeking missiles. It is all doable, cheaper and simpler than the stuff sold to govts., just depends on who is working for the bad guys.

Latest Threads