Name Change

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by tebagagap, Apr 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi,

    My parents split up when i was a nipper and my mum changed our surname by deed poll to her new blokes about 17 years ago.

    Have just found out my natural father has passed on and i am the last person in the blood line. I am thinking of revertying back to my original surname, kinda sentimental but its something im feeling strongly about.

    I still have my original Birth Certificate and Deed Poll, what would i need to do to change my name? could i just ignore the deed poll and apply for new docs with my birth certificate and a covering letter?

    Any help greatly appreciated.

  2. Quite straightforward I believe, I think it's £40 and a new deed poll. (price may have gone up a bit) at your local Council Registry.
  3. This link may be of help ,
    Other wise seek legal advise
    You could also consider having a double barrel surname and use the two surnames
  4. Just a small thing to think about.

    Your step-father. If he has been doing a good job raising you, then this issue should be handled carefully, after all, although your intentions are clear to us on here, they could be construed as a bit insulting to him.

    However, if as you say it means carrying on the blood line a careful broaching of the subject may gain his support.

    I too am in the same situation. In my case I started to use my real family name as an additional middle name.

    Another option is to hyphenate both names.

    Good luck
  5. Thanks all, plenty to think about.

  6. You can use any name you want as long as it is not for illegal purposes. As you have your birth certificate you can just revert to you registered name without the need of a deed poll (as far as I am aware). MP is right though something you need to think about very carefully :)