• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

'Naked and Afraid' - Latest Reality Show

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Seems they're running a new reality TV show in the US. The premise is you take two strangers, strip then naked, give them a choice of one item to take with them (usually a knife or machete) and stick them into a jungle or other extreme environment for 21 days to see if they can survive.

Naked and Afraid : Discovery Channel

Episode 1:

Two naked survivalists, Shane Lewis and Kim Shelton, are challenged to survive for 21 days in the Costa Rican jungle. While in the lush rainforest, Shane and Kim endure every challenge imaginable, including torrential downpours, illness, a shelter fire, and a deadly encounter with the venomous snake that put the show's producer in a life-threatening situation.
Episode 2:

Dropped off in the remote and brutally hot African location of Tanzania, two survivalists take on the "endless plains" of the Serengeti to survive for 21 days. They must overcome the challenges of the tough terrain and the dangerous predator-filled environment as they encounter the circle of life right before their eyes. Between navigating the thorny landscape barefoot, suffering from lack of fire, sleep, food, water, and encountering a frightening threat from a pack of hungry hyenas, EJ Snyder and Kellie Nightlinger embark on what will prove to be a very challenging and gruesome 21 days.
Episode 3:

Survivalists Jonathan Klay and Alison Teal are marooned on a Maldivian island for 21 days. The surfer girl and the former Marine clash when sunstroke and starvation threaten their survival as they try to get through 21 days naked and afraid.
Other episodes follow similar lines.

Could this be "Darwin Awards: the TV Show" in the making?

Wordsmith

The thing to remember is, this can't be too dangerous, otherwise it would not be able to afford the insurance that would be required. So, yes more (un) reality TV Shiite.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I've just downloaded the first one, purely so I could check out the snatch and had a quick skim through it. Shite, not a bad bod on the 25 year old bint but no tit or clunge shots at all. The network blurred them out. Cunts.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I've just downloaded the first one, purely so I could check out the snatch and had a quick skim through it. Shite, not a bad bod on the 25 year old bint but no tit or clunge shots at all. The network blurred them out. Cunts.
I would imagine the unpixilated version will arrive on Channel 5 in about 6 months time.

The series does have comedy value though:

naked_and_afraid3.jpg

The bloke does have a rather good case of sunburn. Bet that smarted.

Wordsmith

G

goatrutar

This thread wasn't what I was expecting.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I downloaded and watched the first episode - Costa Rican rain forest. What could have been a potentially interesting program had been sacrificed to the needs of dumbed down TV.

First off, the two people were borderline incompatible, which meant they didn't really work together. Next, they obviously were chosen to have enough survival knowledge not to die, but not enough to have a reasonably good chance of making their lives comfortable.

They started with a machete and a firelighter and had a stream to camp beside. They got a shelter up and a fire lit for the first night and that was about as far as they progressed. Despite having abundant materials they never really got a watertight shelter and despite having abundant firewood they were often cold at night.

A rain forest is an environment with a lot of edible things about, yet they caught one just snake and one tortoise in 3 weeks. They were never shown eating plants, grubs, etc. He lost 47 lb, she 26 in the three weeks.

They were never going to be able to do more than build a reasonable shelter, get warmth from the fire and scavenge more food, but I can't but help feel it would have been a better program if they had more survival skills and made a better fist of coping with their environment.

Wordsmith

American TV? So not one nipple on show as that would cause the planet to wobble in its orbit and children to have nightmares for all eternity.

Sounds like a good concept but as someone above said, the insurance costs mean that the only "danger" would be in the editing.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
American TV? So not one nipple on show as that would cause the planet to wobble in its orbit and children to have nightmares for all eternity.

Sounds like a good concept but as someone above said, the insurance costs mean that the only "danger" would be in the editing.
I'm sure the Discovery Channel is going to make the unpixellated version available outside the US. It'll get higher viewing figures - which equals more profit...

I think there is an element of danger involved. They're putting people into environments where there is a fair amount of poisonous stuff about. Even if they have anti-toxins and medical experts on site, someone is going to get bitten sooner or later.

(I would bet that off-screen is a local survival expert advising on whether plants, etc are poisonous or not).

But the odds are that is someone does get bitten or eats something toxic, they'll get immediate medical treatment on site and rapid evacuation to hospital. So drama but not deaths...

Wordsmith

Hugh McManners did something rather better on UK telly years ago (minus the naked bit) - putting teams of, say, accountants up against firemen on an island and seeing how they coped.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Going back even further, I think one of the BBC news programs (Nationwide?) gave one of their presenters basic survival training, then put him on a Scottish island for four weeks with a camera to make a diary about how he fared. This would be 25 odd years ago.

I think he lasted three weeks then was pulled off suffering from minor malnutrition and the onset of exposure.

Wordsmith

Going back even further, I think one of the BBC news programs (Nationwide?) gave one of their presenters basic survival training, then put him on a Scottish island for four weeks with a camera to make a diary about how he fared. This would be 25 odd years ago.

I think he lasted three weeks then was pulled off suffering from minor malnutrition and the onset of exposure.

Wordsmith
There was a program where some bloke went to live in the Canadian wilderness for 3 months.
Spent his time mincing about trying to catch fish, shitting himself over bear attacks and crying over missing his family.
He lost about 4 stone in weight and lasted 4 weeks before giving up!

wikipedia.Alone_in_the_Wild

Latest Threads