'Naked and Afraid' - Latest Reality Show

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Wordsmith, Aug 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Seems they're running a new reality TV show in the US. The premise is you take two strangers, strip then naked, give them a choice of one item to take with them (usually a knife or machete) and stick them into a jungle or other extreme environment for 21 days to see if they can survive.

Naked and Afraid : Discovery Channel

Episode 1:

Episode 2:

Episode 3:

Other episodes follow similar lines.

Could this be "Darwin Awards: the TV Show" in the making?

2. More Septic shite TV to avoid like the plague.
  3. The thing to remember is, this can't be too dangerous, otherwise it would not be able to afford the insurance that would be required. So, yes more (un) reality TV Shiite.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 'Naked and Afraid' - My first two weeks of basic.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Pah! Our very own Cheggars invented that format 13 years ago on "Naked Jungle"

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Was it only the blokes who were allowed a hat?
  7. All aboard the misogyny bus
  8. I've just downloaded the first one, purely so I could check out the snatch and had a quick skim through it. Shite, not a bad bod on the 25 year old bint but no tit or clunge shots at all. The network blurred them out. Cunts.
  9. Wordsmith

I would imagine the unpixilated version will arrive on Channel 5 in about 6 months time.

The series does have comedy value though:

The bloke does have a rather good case of sunburn. Bet that smarted.

10. This thread wasn't what I was expecting.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  11. Naked Chegggers - i'm still scared, aaaahhhhhhhhhh nooooooo!
  12. Wordsmith

I downloaded and watched the first episode - Costa Rican rain forest. What could have been a potentially interesting program had been sacrificed to the needs of dumbed down TV.

First off, the two people were borderline incompatible, which meant they didn't really work together. Next, they obviously were chosen to have enough survival knowledge not to die, but not enough to have a reasonably good chance of making their lives comfortable.

They started with a machete and a firelighter and had a stream to camp beside. They got a shelter up and a fire lit for the first night and that was about as far as they progressed. Despite having abundant materials they never really got a watertight shelter and despite having abundant firewood they were often cold at night.

A rain forest is an environment with a lot of edible things about, yet they caught one just snake and one tortoise in 3 weeks. They were never shown eating plants, grubs, etc. He lost 47 lb, she 26 in the three weeks.

They were never going to be able to do more than build a reasonable shelter, get warmth from the fire and scavenge more food, but I can't but help feel it would have been a better program if they had more survival skills and made a better fist of coping with their environment.

13. American TV? So not one nipple on show as that would cause the planet to wobble in its orbit and children to have nightmares for all eternity.

Sounds like a good concept but as someone above said, the insurance costs mean that the only "danger" would be in the editing.
  14. Wordsmith

I'm sure the Discovery Channel is going to make the unpixellated version available outside the US. It'll get higher viewing figures - which equals more profit...

I think there is an element of danger involved. They're putting people into environments where there is a fair amount of poisonous stuff about. Even if they have anti-toxins and medical experts on site, someone is going to get bitten sooner or later.

(I would bet that off-screen is a local survival expert advising on whether plants, etc are poisonous or not).

But the odds are that is someone does get bitten or eats something toxic, they'll get immediate medical treatment on site and rapid evacuation to hospital. So drama but not deaths...

15. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Hugh McManners did something rather better on UK telly years ago (minus the naked bit) - putting teams of, say, accountants up against firemen on an island and seeing how they coped.