• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Nails

I came across Mister Yang Youde, pyrotechnical Chinese farmer with mega balls after reading about Aki Ra in another thread.

While Aki Ra is very admirable in a squared-jawed, solemn kind of way, Yang Youde is just balls out funny. And gutsy. I don't know what it is about this scrawny little clod-hopping Chinese geek that cracks me up so much. :salut:

Any one know of any other real Nails characters who were funny, barmy, or just plain stylish about it?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hell anybody from that website, eg this Norwegian Chappie:

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/nansen.html

I especially like this quote:

....spent a winter living in the inhospitable climate of the extreme North, building a hut out of stone and eating walrus blubber and polar bears he personally clubbed to death with his boner....
Or a personal favorite of mine, who I have posted about before:

Col. Percy H. Fawcett

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Harrison_Fawcett

if ya can get your hands on the book "The Lost City of Z" I can most heartily recommend it.

its got to be Jack Churchill...

man went into battle armed with a samurai sword, a longbow and a claymore....

any man with the balls to do that is nails in my opinion

rampant said:

....spent a winter living in the inhospitable climate of the extreme North, building a hut out of stone and eating walrus blubber and polar bears he personally clubbed to death with his boner....
Never mind Nansen, what about Apsely Cherry-Garrard, the quietly thoughtful volunteer polar explorer who (just) survived an earlier trip on Scott's last expedition, to Cape Crozier in search of penguin eggs. The resulting book the Worst Journey in the World is a fascinating and terrifying read: particularly the bit where the tent blows away.

cupoftea said:
I came across Mister Yang Youde, pyrotechnical Chinese farmer with mega balls after reading about Aki Ra in another thread.

While Aki Ra is very admirable in a squared-jawed, solemn kind of way, Yang Youde is just balls out funny. And gutsy. I don't know what it is about this scrawny little clod-hopping Chinese geek that cracks me up so much. :salut:

Any one know of any other real Nails characters who were funny, barmy, or just plain stylish about it?
I don't know if you're aware, but the dwellings of people like Yang Xiansheng are colloquially known as 'nail houses' in China - because they refuse to be hammered down.

There's a photo of his home made nebelwerfer:

Jia you!

Turret_Monster said:
rampant said:

Never mind Nansen, what about Apsely Cherry-Garrard, the quietly thoughtful volunteer polar explorer who (just) survived an earlier trip on Scott's last expedition, to Cape Crozier in search of penguin eggs. The resulting book the Worst Journey in the World is a fascinating and terrifying read: particularly the bit where the tent blows away.
I have a copy of The Worst Journey in The World and must agree ... from memory ... it was so cold he lost teeth because they shattered when he was eating ... the candles formed wax hoods above the flame ... sleeping bags froze solid .... the members of the team were all surviving on different food regimes to develop knowledge for Scott's assault on the Pole ... they carried out the expedition in the Antarctic winter to arrive at the Penguin rookeries at the correct time ... no light ... no GPS ... no radio .... just dead reckoning navigation and a load of guts .

Edited to add .... Night time Temperatures below -70F .

Latest Threads