• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Nails - And Bloody Well Done

British soldier who saved life of pizza delivery driver being considered for bravery award
By Sean Rayment, Defence Correspondent
Last Updated: 8:13AM GMT 15 Mar 2009

Sapper Marc Fitzpatrick, 21, was one of five members of 38 Engineer Regiment who were ambushed while waiting for the pizza delivery.

As the gunmen sprayed the area with automatic weapons fire, Spr Fitzpatrick dived into one of the pizza delivery cars and pulled the driver down into the footwell. He almost certainly saved the life of the Polish driver.

Spr Fitzpatrick was shot in the chest, wrist and suffered shrapnel wounds to his skull. He has since undergone a nine hour operation during which surgeons reconstructed his damaged wrist.

Spr Fitzpatrick has also received treatment for a punctured lung.

One of the two pizza delivery men caught up in the ambush revealed last week that he was saved by one of the soldiers who dived upon him. It is understood that soldier was Spr Patrick Azimkar who died.

Spr Fitzpatrick's bravery has not been revealed until now.

A military source said: "Spr Fitzpatrick displayed remarkable courage. His actions saved the life of the delivery driver who was frozen with fear. But while saving the life of the civilian he almost lost his own.

"He is a very brave man and his bravery will be officially acknowledged."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...river-being-considered-for-bravery-award.html

PartTimePongo said:
British soldier who saved life of pizza delivery driver being considered for bravery award

. . . . ."He is a very brave man and his bravery will be officially acknowledged."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...river-being-considered-for-bravery-award.html
I should damn well hope so. Good man!

And, hopefully (regrettably posthumously) for Spr Patrick Azimkar, R.I.P..

Edited to emphasise:

PartTimePongo said:

. . . One of the two pizza delivery men caught up in the ambush revealed last week that he was saved by one of the soldiers who dived upon him. It is understood that soldier was Spr Patrick Azimkar who died."

I'm afraid I'm a broken record on this one. As much as I'd like to switch my thoughts onto a very well deserved back slapping for the bravery of the lad I am still very bitter that these murdering B@stards are still out and about.

I do hope that when they are caught they give PSNI a reason to put them in a grave.

Well done to the lad and heres wishing him a speedy recovery.

smartascarrots said:
'In the highest tradition of the British Army' couldn't be more fitting.

Is it too much to hope we'll now hear less of the baby-murdering spiel from certain quarters?[/quote]

Way too much carrots!! :( Unfortunately we're dealing with people who won't let actuality get in the way of a good poster tagline! :twisted:

As for the Sapper concerned .... Hie thee to the Palace forthwith! And I trust you'll not be having to buy your own beer for a long time!

FrankIG said:
As for the Sapper concerned .... Hie thee to the Palace forthwith! And I trust you'll not be having to buy your own beer for a long time!
Or Piwo, if he ever gets East of the Oder (or to Peterborough, whichever is easier for him) :D

Well done to the lad, and to the Sapper who sadly died. It is actions like these that truely seperate teh Brave from the Untermensch of the IRA.

I wonder if the Pole was on the first train out of NI?

Latest Threads