Nad'Ali: a Stabilisation Adviser writes........

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Goatman, Jun 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Having just read Toby Harnden's 'Dead Men Risen' which focusses closely on the Welsh Guards deployment in the Nad'Ali area, I was intrigued to read a little about what it's like there now-ish. PB Shazad is in a village called Cha-e Anjir, though I'm pretty sure 3 Para have now returned .

Source

.......not all civvies in Afghanistan live in the 'luxurious' glamour of Camp Bastion...... :party:

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

from May....3 Para have handed over....
    ....... moving on.....

3. CAT

CAT

''Moving on further into the village we visited another mosque where people were friendly and chatty. A small corner shop keeper asked if we could help repair the mosque which was used as a school and which needed its roof fixing.''
    Haha. Afghans don't love building yourself life, they love Muhammad. ''Give me money, give me money and works for me.''

4. This is a really good thread. Please keep it coming, especially the photos.

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

awww....never be able to fit my bonedome now....here y'go....

Be interesting to hear from other Arrsers who have done the PRT/STABAD role whether in AFG or previously on TELIC.......frustrations/highs and lows?

.......good luck Tim...keep it coming....

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

bit of collateral from another source:

SOURCE

Given that pictures tell a thousand words, I came across a good Gallery of images from the recent Op OMID HAFT which involved RM Commandos and 1 RIFLES here

DII users can't access the MOD imagery on FLICKR <sigh> so I've loaded a couple of the excellent shots up to the Arrse Gallery. Bear with me....

All pictures below are by Royal Navy's PO (Phot) Hamish Burke

[​IMG]
    Images of A Company, 1 Rifles taking part in Operation OMID HAFT.

Hundreds of Afghan soldiers, supported by British and coalition forces have taken part in a major operation in Central Helmand to clear out insurgents from one of their last remaining strongholds.
    [​IMG]
    Operation OMID HAFT has been planned and executed by the Afghan National Army (ANA) partnered by International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

[​IMG]
    1 Rifles work on building defensive positions and grueling task of filling 100s of sandbags used in gun positions + filling up holes in compound wall improving security

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ops isn't all about fixed bayonets ;-) ..... experienced patrol medic ....

[​IMG]
    Images of A Company, 1 Rifles Conducting a Helicopter Assault Force (HAF) Operation into the town of Alikosi in Helmand province where they were to take over a local compound in the Taliban strong hold and set up and Operational Check Point (CP ZARAWAR). From Here the guys will patrol out at the same time as building up defences for their position and improving living conditions they will integrate with locals provide security and force the Insurgency out of the area.

7. Thanks for sharing all that info and the lics- much appreciated. My son is out there at the moment.

8. Outstanding. Heartfelt thanks to all the lads out there and to you for giving us a look in!

9. Preparing for incoming here, but there is a rather good blog from a RAF techie type who was on a stabilisation team with 2 PARA, I think.

I'll try to look it up but it was a very interesting read.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Cripes peeps - the credit should go to the STABAD who is at the sharp end, Tm Gurney (pictured) ....but famx anyway :)
    [​IMG]

Warning - his boyhood hero was Colin Bell and he wants Old Trafford turned into a car park......

I'll try and scoop up a few more dits and repost - but to reiterate the link is here LINKY

Doofus - tell yr boy to keep his bonce down and his Kirk Douglas cleft chin up :)

Goats

11. Goatman, there are some really great photos here, imho, esp the matelot. The Media Ops people are getting better and better. Hats off...

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...here y'go....bit dated now but from the STABAD ( Hamish Wilson ) who was working with the USMC when they took over from the Brits in Musa Qalah:

Hamish takes the long view:

13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

42 Cdo replaced the Paras in Nad'Ali area in May. Their CO gives an update on the Herrick FaceBook site - worth a listen:

LINKY

(Not for you though DII-guy....back of the queue !)

14. Nice link, you can see some of my handywork in the background haha

Was on H13 and everytime we went into PB shahzad it was a stag list or a shit job list that had my name all over it :)