NAAFI

Hmmm, never thought about this. Canteen managers and assistants on warships have action station positions...normally first aid or fire fighting if I remember rightly. I’m well out of date now though. Dunno where that stands them wrt medals though.

@northern-matelot @alfred_the_great ??

Hmmm, never thought about this. Canteen managers and assistants on warships have action station positions...normally first aid or fire fighting if I remember rightly. I’m well out of date now though. Dunno where that stands them wrt medals though.

On ship NAAFI are still sickbay assistants during action stations and the like, but AFAIK they’re also Sponsored reserves. You’re talking about John Leake DSM by the way, the medal issued to him as a member of NAAFI during the Falklands war.

While en route, active service was declared and Leake signed on to the Royal Navy on a temporary basis, becoming a petty officer in the Royal Navy, but continuing in his previous role as Canteen Manager. Being a member of the Navy allowed him to be covered by the protections of the Geneva Convention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I/c med HQ. Should maintain an accurate and complete medical damage control picture to allow the MO/MA to correctly prioritise first aid.

NAAFI, is as noted a civilian contractor servicing the armed services so no not a veteran.
However, as I remember it, one of the NAAFI staff serving on HMS Rubber Duck during the summer spent down south, was awarded the Military Medal, for giving the Argies Air Force, ‘free’ 7.62. Shots from one of his optics. Also known as a GPMG. He may well have destroyed a Pucara?
So if a civvy can win the MM, then I suppose said NAFFI ‘Walt’ can wearing a Vetrans badge, providing he/she saw active service. Mind you some BAOR postings for them particularly where the Jocks were resident, would possibly pass as active service. Particularly in that commonly recurring event, where England trash the Jocks in the Calcutta Cup.
Would he have been NAAFI at this point? I always thought that on Ops NAAFI became EFI, and EFI were badged RAOC (for Army anyway).

NAAFI personnel serving aboard ship are part of the Naval Canteen Service (NCS), wear naval uniform and have action stations, but remain ordinary civilians. NAAFI personnel can also join the Expeditionary Force Institutes (EFI), which provides NAAFI facilities in war zones. EFI personnel are members of the Territorial Army serving on special engagements, bear ranks and wear uniform. NCS personnel can similarly volunteer to join the Royal Navy when it goes on active service. Petty Officer John Leake, NCS canteen manager in HMS Ardent, was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal (DSM) in the 1982 Falklands War for his courage while manning a machine gun.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Liking the medal awards to NAAFI civvies in wartime. But what about Joe Smoe, NAAFI manager working in several establishments in BAOR during peacetime.

Veteran badge or not?

Liking the medal awards to NAAFI civvies in wartime. But what about Joe Smoe, NAAFI manager working in several establishments in BAOR during peacetime.

Veteran badge or not?
You mean union card-carrying Joe Smoe, not in uniform so not crashing out for exercises, TACEVALs et al; being paid his wages and working 9-5, with overtime if he chose to work it? Poke off.

DSM he signed on with RN on the way south.
Follow the link supplied by @Rab_C , it's an informative read. Sadly lost a battle with cancer in 2000 and medals auctioned.

Admiral Sandy Woodward, the commander of the British Naval Force during the Falklands War, wrote about Leake in his memoirs. He said "I was sure there would be many stories of heroism to come out of it, but of them all, I remain most impressed by the conduct of John Leake who manned the machine gun in Ardent. He was not really in the Navy, but, as we say, we are all of one company, the Captain and the NAAFI man. And we all go together."

Petty Officer Leake originally joined HMS Ardent as a civilian NAAFI Canteen Manager. On the declaration of Active Service he volunteered to enrol as a Petty Officer on 15th May 1982. On 21st May 1982 HMS Ardent came under heavy attack by Argentine aircraft. Using his previous Army training, Petty Officer Leake was stationed as a machine gunner. Throughout the air attacks he remained cool and calm even though the ship was being hit by bombs and cannon fire. He fired large quantities of accurate tracer at the attackers and inflicted damage on a Skyhawk. His courage, steadfastness and total disregard for his own safety undoubtedly saved the ship from many further attacks and was an inspiration to all those in the vicinity.
John Leake's DSM Medal Citation, London Gazette, 8 October 1982[3]

Veteran badge or not?
Says here it for those who served in the Armed forces (although widows and kids may apply).

So people shouldnt be able to get one officially if they werent serving. However I doubt anyone cares if anyone wants to pretend they are a veteran.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

[bone question alert]

Are the above mentioned catering staff, presumably civvies you are referring to, regularly employed on RN vessels? Would they remain on the "books" in times of active deployment?

Awarded for services to ripping off uniformed (veteran) personnel?
And services to maths. Charging 3 times plus the price of the advertised price od said item

Last edited:
Bone question time. I can't find a definitive answer on interweb.

Is a retired NAAFI employee (Not interested in EFI although that might be part of this.) entitled to a veterans badge?

Posted in NAAFi because, it's, er, about NAAFI.

Cheers.
Highly unlikely.
In BAOR I remember that they would mostly be heading for the Zeebrugge ferry if USSR looked like they were actually going to do it.
Same went for the PSA ( though I was told that their families would be shifted asp but the twats who had been living a lovely duty free lifestyle were in for a nasty shock , come WW3 )

[bone question alert]

Are the above mentioned catering staff, presumably civvies you are referring to, regularly employed on RN vessels? Would they remain on the "books" in times of active deployment?
They are essentially seaborne naafi staff. I never served on a ship with a female one though. The canteen assistant would normally be messed in junior rates mess and manager ‘canman’ in either petty officer or chiefs mess. The Chinese laundrymen mainly slept in the ‘dhoby shack’- under the huuge ironing board.
I think a Chinese laundryman died during Falklands - abandoned ship but strapped his moneybags to himself first...he sank!

Rab_C

War Hero
[bone question alert]

Yes there are laundrymen and NAAFI on major warships. Officially they would be offered the opportunity to be landed in time of war but during the Falklands most (maybe all) decided to remain onboard.

You mean union card-carrying Joe Smoe, not in uniform so not crashing out for exercises, TACEVALs et al; being paid his wages and working 9-5, with overtime if he chose to work it? Poke off.
You’ve just described the AGC.

Latest Threads