NAAFI

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Bone question time. I can't find a definitive answer on interweb.

Is a retired NAAFI employee (Not interested in EFI although that might be part of this.) entitled to a veterans badge?

Posted in NAAFi because, it's, er, about NAAFI.

Cheers.

Is a retired NAAFI employee (Not interested in EFI although that might be part of this.) entitled to a veterans badge?
Awarded for services to ripping off uniformed (veteran) personnel?

Cheers.
I thought that the veterans badge was for Service personnel only. Not Civvy employees of a firm working for HM forces

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
NAAFI, is as noted a civilian contractor servicing the armed services so no not a veteran.
However, as I remember it, one of the NAAFI staff serving on HMS Rubber Duck during the summer spent down south, was awarded the Military Medal, for giving the Argies Air Force, ‘free’ 7.62. Shots from one of his optics. Also known as a GPMG. He may well have destroyed a Pucara?
So if a civvy can win the MM, then I suppose said NAFFI ‘Walt’ can wearing a Vetrans badge, providing he/she saw active service. Mind you some BAOR postings for them particularly where the Jocks were resident, would possibly pass as active service. Particularly in that commonly recurring event, where England trash the Jocks in the Calcutta Cup.

load_fin

War Hero
NAAFI, is as noted a civilian contractor servicing the armed services so no not a veteran.
However, as I remember it, one of the NAAFI staff serving on HMS Rubber Duck during the summer spent down south, was awarded the Military Medal, for giving the Argies Air Force, ‘free’ 7.62. Shots from one of his optics. Also known as a GPMG. He may well have destroyed a Pucara?
So if a civvy can win the MM, then I suppose said NAFFI ‘Walt’ can wearing a Vetrans badge, providing he/she saw active service. Mind you some BAOR postings for them particularly where the Jocks were resident, would possibly pass as active service. Particularly in that commonly recurring event, where England trash the Jocks in the Calcutta Cup.
I think that, as soon as the Captain realised that he had an ex-infantry chap in the NAAFI, he was quickly enlisted into the RN.
Avoids any problems if captured.

woger wabbit

War Hero
Sorry I do not believe that a civilian was awarded a military medal, a civil award for valuable service maybe, just maybe.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember that, but the bloke was a matelot before becoming an on-board NAAFI manager. I think he was shooting at a Skyhawk although I didn't know he got the MM for it. Can't comment on the rest of your post though...

woger wabbit

War Hero

Cheers.
Simple, no previous military service, no veterans pin

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Sorry I do not believe that a civilian was awarded a military medal, a civil award for valuable service maybe, just maybe.
Sorry Wodger, what you believe dosnt matter much in this case, a NAAFI contractor was awarded the MM for manning A GPMG. Back in the day, well before you were a twinkle in your dads eye, obviously. There was a weekly periodical about the Falklands war (I have the lot bound in the binder, up in my summerhouse) which recorded all sorts of FW events, and said NAAFI barman/shop worker (ex-forces as has been mentioned) was so honoured.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sorry Wodger, what you believe dosnt matter much in this case, a NAAFI contractor was awarded the MM for manning A GPMG. Back in the day, well before you were a twinkle in your dads eye, obviously. There was a weekly periodical about the Falklands war (I have the lot bound in the binder, up in my summerhouse) which recorded all sorts of FW events, and said NAAFI barman/shop worker (ex-forces as has been mentioned) was so honoured.
It was the DSM - see post above yours

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
So it was The DSM, a higher award than a MM.
The wiki article also refers to a Tommy Brown, another civvy NAAFI worker who was awarded the George Medal for saving cypher codes from a sinking UBoat. Another Civvy, although the GM is an award that civvies can win,

woger wabbit

War Hero
Previous military service was not mentioned in the original question/quote,so I was misled about the circumstances. You sir are not in a position to know when I was a twinkle in my dads eye. :mad:

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Previous military service was not mentioned in the original question/quote,so I was misled about the circumstances. You sir are not in a position to know when I was a twinkle in my dads eye. :mad:
Given the high percentile of wanna-bees, never served, LMF’s LMF’s who never made it past the recruiting office and walts, who regularly post on here. I think tinkles in your dads eye, is the least of your worries.

So it was The DSM, a higher award than a MM.
The wiki article also refers to a Tommy Brown, another civvy NAAFI worker who was awarded the George Medal for saving cypher codes from a sinking UBoat. Another Civvy, although the GM is an award that civvies can win,
DSM and MM were both level 3 awards, so the DSM isn't "higher" than the MM. They are equivalent awards but something has to come first in the list, so presumably the Naval awards, being the senior service, will come before Army awards.

Latest Threads