• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

NAAFI (the shop) A dliberate scam or just bad management?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Every time I go into the NAAFI I get hacked off at the rip off prices. Everything (except booze and perfume) is more expensive than UK prices and more expensive than prices in local shops. Newspapers, magazines and books (a link with home) are at least 50% as much again as UK prices. Booze is tax free here in Cyprus and is cheaper than the UK, but you can actually find the same stuff being sold commercially for the same prices or cheaper locally.

In contrast to NAAFI are our international partners military shops. The US PX/BX and commisariats. Of course they are a bigger country and a bigger military, but the Dutch and Norwegian Armies have a far better system than ours.

The NAAFI could be a morale and retention factor, instead its just another p@ss off factor.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Agreed. Here's just one example of the NAAFI rip-off (because you've already mentioned newspapers/magazines) -

Coffee.

They tell us that coffee is Tax-Free (and rationed!!), but it is well over a Euro cheaper in Markthoff for exactly the same stuff. How does that work then?

Flyingrockdj

War Hero
In cyprus I have noticed magazines supplied from a cypriot firm , cost uk 78 p, priced by Hellenic at 1.35, fair import cost etc, with a sticker over the hellenic price stuck on by NAAFI at 2.25! what a mark up with no excuse, In fact this morning half of them are priced in the same way

bunch of pikeys

Coffee is still rationed due to the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) in Germany. Mrs Geek wouldn't shop at NAAFI. She said they were a bunch of pikeys too!

B

Biscuits_AB

They had posters up in the BFG NAAFIs claiming that they were cheaper than the local german supermarkets. Complete tosh. We only went to the NAAFi for the typically Brit things such as brown sauce and so on. The rest of our shopping was done in the Marktkauf. There's no way I would pay NAAFI prices particulalrly for the near the sell by date Tesco gear they flog.

What amuses me is when they put the price of fags up after the budget. Err, isn't the Chancellor
increasing the TAX on tobacco?

To be honest, you don't mind paying a bit extra just for the friendly helpful cheery service. (Really!!!)
I mean, noone forces the miserable tawts to work there. You'd think they were all taken out and shot after their shift.
I've never encountered 'service' like it. Fcuk off and work somewhere you like you cnuts, and stop ruining every fcukers day

Flyingrockdj said:
In cyprus I have noticed magazines supplied from a cypriot firm , cost uk 78 p, priced by Hellenic at 1.35, fair import cost etc, with a sticker over the hellenic price stuck on by NAAFI at 2.25! what a mark up with no excuse, In fact this morning half of them are priced in the same way

bunch of pikeys
Couldn't agree more.

In my corner of BFG the WRVS manages to under-cut the (Non profit making) NAAFI on newspapers and magazines. A few months ago I went into the NAAFI & picked up a copy of FHM. The surly brat on the till didn't know how much to charge (Obviously) so called over the duty manager. "Oh, just double it" (UK price) he says. When I queried this I was told that this was NAAFI policy. Dubious, I told him to poke it.

The same NAAFI shop also routinely sets out dented tins of food which I know for a fact are never supposed to leave the manufacturer except via staff sales at vastly reduced prices. My old man worked for one of them until his retirement in the early 90s and staff prices then were typically 1p per tin. Doesn't stop NAAFI charging premium prices though.

Makes me quite nostalgic - every tea-time in our house was a tinned - food lottery! :lol: 5 and 7.. 57!

Steiner

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I must say that I generally find the staff in the NAAFIs here in Cyprus to be very good below manageemnt level. The manageemnt don't seem to have a clue. Its also odd that NAAFI with 4 main shops and 3 little shops and a few badly run bars has an HQ in Cyprus to rival the size of HQ BFC.

I asked them if they could stock Nix Wax (which is the recomended cleaning product for the issue Magnums) and Non-bio powder (which is recomended for cleaning uniforms and is less iritating on the skin). After I expalined what these product are they told me there was no demand.

They put those stupid signs up saying cheaper than the local Cyprus supermarket. I don't know what defines local but Chris Cash and Carry, Orpahanides and Ermes in Limmasol are all cheaper than NAAFI.

99c in NAAFI shop for bottle of coke, right next door in the NAAFI cafe you can pick up an identical bottle of coke for €1.10. WTF???

Questioned superviser and got the typical answer "errrr dunno love".

Fcukin magic.

Anyone one here from NAFFI care to answer??? Would make an interesting read!!!!

the only good thing to come out of a NAAFI [apart from the essence blonde who used to serve tea and stickies in Bovington Camp circa 1962] was their own brand meat pies in the '70's........put sweeney todd's pie making partner to shame 8O

Heres a good one.

Naafi MAX - 10 free range eggs (Dutch) €2.99

The same eggs - Penny Markt - €1.39

Any comment from our NAAFI apologist, sorry managers?

As for providing a service for the troops, when I was in NI in 79, I didnt see much of the NAAFi in the sticks - the only supplies came from some Iranian greaseburger shops (except at RAF Aldergrove - typically plush with real mugs and cutlery)

Just compare our NAAFi to the stuff the Yanks have !!

What about EFI? Service to the troops deployed on Ops? My arrse! Better service from the local Baswari who 'borrows' kit from the US PX. Better returns policy as well!
Recently had a visit from DCDS (Pers) and he was shoving NAAFi/EFI down our throats due to the fact that we get a Forces rebate. I would rather see the boys get a good service than a tiny portion of their cash back.

Whilst Serving with 1RTR in Hildesheim back around 1990, I was asked to go to a NAAFI meeting as a representative for the Single Soldiers. Present were the CO, the NAAFI managers for the PADS NAAFI and the Singlies NAAFI, some wives, and a PAD Full Screw.

The first thing they went through was the minutes from the previous meeting. Everything that the NAAFi Staff were supposed to action or rectify hadn't been carried out for various reasons, although 1 reason used more than most was 'We looked into that after the meeting and decided it wasn't in our interest to carry out that task'.

The meeting went on for about 2 hours.

My contribution was to ask why the Single Soldiers NAAFI were charging more than the PADS NAAFI for exactly the same item. The reason was due to transportation costs. The 2 shops were (if I remember correctly) about 400m apart.

The meeting ended with the CO asking everyone for any comments about anything that had taken place, everyone was mouthing the usual 'No, no, everything is ok', etc.

I Stood up and said to the CO 'Sir, I found this meeting to be a waste of time and effort. The meeting started with the NAAFI failing to have carried out any of the items mentioned from the previous meeting.
The NAAFi excuse for charging singlie more than pads due to the extra transportation costs is ludicrous.T
he NAAFi Managers have sat there for a meeting directly involving them, and their business and we are finishing without a single instance where they have agreed to change the way they operate to improve the service they supposedly offer'.

I wasn't invited back to subsequent meetings.

NAAFi=

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
NAAFI poor performance is another good reason for an Armed Forces Federation. These problems have been compalined about for years and nothing is ever done. The CoC knows and does not care, or does not know, either way they are not acting in the interestof the Armed Forces community.

Ithought the best move by NAAFI/EFI was selling softi jackets in Iraq in august - just what you need, like you dont get issued one anyway. Another little dooser was a shelf full of radox bath salts in the big naffi shop in Shaiba-cant move for baths in Iraq!

sniper9 said:
i bet you lot shout at the tele like old people too.
Of course we shout at the telly, doesn't everyone?

Remember the phrase 'Ticking like a cheap NAAFI watch'. Is there such a thing as a cheap NAAFI watch?

I remember the time in Sennelager with 39 Regt RA, the NAAFI takings were apparently stolen. The NAAFI manageress had all the takings on here desk and left her office with the door open. Came back a bit later and the takings were gone.

Now this was the afternoon when everyone was bombursting out of camp to go on Christmas Leave. The Orderly Officer was 176 Bty Tiffy, a man known as either Malfunction (his first name was Mal) or Tiffy Underpants ('cos he was full of sh!t).

Malfunction called the RMP's, who immediately locked down the camp 2 hours after the money went allegedly missing. By this time over 1/2 the camp was away already, but still....

Anyway, we were told by the OO that noone would be going on leave, or leaving the camp until the money was returned. As you can imagine everyone greeted this news in a calm and rational manner.

After an hour or so, and with no return of the money, Malfunction allowed us to go on our way to vainly try and catch our ferries/ flights etc. First though, we had to have our bags/ vehicles searched by the RMP's. My vehicle was full of kit, I was going straight from leave onto my SMC at Bordon. You can imagine my pleasure as the RMP CPL lobbed my Bulled Boots out my boot and onto the verge.

And you can imagine the scenes of quiet indignation as we were getting our kit searched, several hours late for our ferries etc to watch the fcuking NAAFI manageress sail straight past the queues of people and out of the camp. Without being searched.

The money was never found. It was widely believed to be an inside job, although 57Bty were part of 39 at the time ;)

Earlier I said NAAFI=. To this I would like to add:
The RMP CPL who fecked my best boots=jumped up
176Bty Tiffy Malfunction=Useless

Latest Threads