NAAFI Shopping for Veterans in Germany

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Dusty362, Jul 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All that faf and fucking bother for what exactly?

Nothing that you can't already buy in Real or your local Brit food shop.

Don't think I am going to bother somehow.

Just read through it once again and now I KNOW I am not.

Has it been specifically designed to fuck people about with the intent of making it such a pain that it will be used only by the terminally addicted?

2. Feck me! I can understand being nostalgic about time served but...for the fecking Naafi??!!

Is there a way I can re-live the experience of kicking seven bells out of the nearly empty automat machines in HMS Nelson. I really miss staggering in there, throwing loads of shrapnel into it and kicking off when it failed to dispense the lonely obscure brand chocolate wafer bar that had it's own LSGC 'cos no fucker wanted it and it was all that was left?

3. I like this bit
    After Shopping/Paying the Duty/Tax

If a Veteran has purchased goods of any amount, they must report to their local Zollamt (where they obtained their Pink Card) by the 5th working day of the following month to present all their receipts and their Pink Card. If no purchase has taken place there is no requirement to go to the Customs Office.

The local Stadt Customs Office will levy a flat rate of tax/duty for all items purchased. This is currently set (but is subject to change) at 17.5% for goods that cost less than the €50 per item. For purchases of single items with a sales price of €50 or more, the German Customs will apply a tax of rate of 19% plus an additional customs tariff for the item.

Well worth the bother everytime you buy anything other than goods for immediate consumption.

4. Whoever negotiated this needs their knickers wringing, what a load of old sh*t, and here's me thinking the NAAFI was looking to boost their sales, some hope me thinks. I'll stick with LIDL and ALDI I think.

5. Never shopped at the NAAFI even when I was in,far too expensive.

6. Especially not good when Asda have just set up a delivery service to BFG areas, which I assume anyone esle can use too.

7. So, let me see if I have understood this correctly:

You go through a load of faff to shop in the NAAFI and then you have to go to the customs house where you will be charged tax on what you have bought? This gives the impression that the items one can buy in the NAAFI are tax free.

In my experience, anything that could be bought in the NAAFI, was available in the civy German shops at a lower price, especially electrical goods.

As has been said by others, I didn't shop in the NAAFI when I was serving, why would they think I would want to now that I am out?

8. Jesus wept, the process of applying for the VVIP or whatever its fucking called!!! Good old Naafi, never changes!

This made me laugh, after eventually squeezing blood out of a stone/jumping through hoops and getting into the shop to buy a bottle of Heinz Ketchup you have do this....
    "If a Veteran has purchased goods of any amount, they must report to their local Zollamt (where they obtained their Pink Card) by the 5th working day of the following month to present all their receipts and their Pink Card. If no purchase has taken place there is no requirement to go to the Customs Office."

9. It's typical army/German bureaucracy; it's pretty standards stuff. You've got to get forms filled in in triplicate, then signed by Tom, Dick, and Harry; then they've got to be buried in a peat bog for four months before getting lost by the admin office.

What's new?

10. They've extended the peat bog burial by a month.

11. Correct, (although if you buy food for immediate consumption you don't have to bother with the tax bollocks).
    The NAAFI is tax-free but it isnt non-profit .

12. I have recently submitted a colourful letter to the Minister for Veterans. Let's see if he can be bothered to reply!

13. Sad git that I am, I have actually obtained the pink card (which isnt't pink). It was loads of bureaucratic naus and I am now asking myself why I bothered. No one really seems to have a clue exactly how it works and that includes C&I (who are almost as much use as disc brakes on a snail) and the German Zoll. The only "benefit" is that the card says it is for "the shops of the foreign armed forces" so that could mean the Natex which is not far away. Sadly the scheme arrived too late for the PX and Cloggy Shop here in JHQ.

14. Why do Veterans put themselves through all the shenanigans just to shop in the NAAFI?

Simply stand at the NAAFI door, "adopt" a soldier as he or she goes in,get what you want,take ages at the till as you bewilderedly stare at Euro notes and drop the coinage everywhere then mumble something about "bloody foreign shops,how am I meant to know what to do?"

Hey presto; you're every parent or elderly relative thats ever held everyone up in the fuckin place and the good thing for you is you'll never get asked for ID etc......