NAAFI/EFI POGS

NAAFI/EFI Canteens in Iraq & now Afghanistan issue POGS (Small Change Tokens) I am told. Does anyone have any info on them? and what the designs are??

Mike_2817 said:
NAAFI/EFI Canteens in Iraq & now Afghanistan issue POGS (Small Change Tokens) I am told. Does anyone have any info on them? and what the designs are??

Yes! I was just wondering that too...

Crappy bits of cardboard instead of coins. Loads going round and some were fetching a good price in ebay recently.

strima said:
Crappy bits of cardboard instead of coins. Loads going round and some were fetching a good price in ebay recently.
Really, I have a load from when i was on Telic, might get em sold although knowing my luck the other half will have "tidied" them somewhere never to be seen again.

Well so far we know POGS are 'crappy bits of cardboard' but not what the images look like!

Pogs were popular in the 90's as a game as well as for swoping as in 'trading cards' and have been used by NAAFI/EFI and the US AAFES shops since Iraq

What is there real purpose? is it to cut down on small change or what?

How many differant designs are there?

Mike_2817 said:
What is there real purpose? is it to cut down on small change or what?
When Iraq kicked off, there was very little spare change in theatre (it cost money to move money and obviously notes are cheaper to move than coins) People where getting abit arsey having round up to the nearest dollar everytime they wanted a can of coke. I think it was the yanks who introduced the pogs first as an answer to the problem.
Knowing the EFI/NAAFI they are probably making money out of it because people will change real money (notes) for cardboard being knocked out by some chogie. Then these bits of cardboard get lost/put in the wash/taken back to the UK.

Man up wet pants, the Naafi has been fecking everyone out of their small change for years

Only good for swapping out with the LECs

Back on R&R at the moment and my bloody wallet and Cbt Jkt pockets are full of them. Yes, they are in use and a pain in the arse. You never end up using them and the Tp just end up putting them in a tin where at the end of tour we are going to go to the EFI and exchange them. But Ebaying them maybe better. :D

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
There are at least 3 types that I can recall - EFI, AAFES (PX) and even Pizza Hut seem to have their own!

I'm sure that some poor sad people will collect them - after all, they are only a sort of colourful 'coin', so why not?

If I get bored at the weekend I'll scan a few in - I've got a load in a shoebox from HERRICK, and possibly some TELIC ones as well.

and all of a sudden I regret giving the box of pogs to my 3 yr old to destroy.....

Had loads of holo ones and lots of the desperate dan ones, which seem to be fetching waaay over face value

Mike_2817 said:
Found a site this morning which shows them!

http://www.efipogs.com/

More than I imagined, so possibly are aimed at collectors.
Wow, even I found that site tedious and I've been classed as a geek several times.

How about a competition to design new POGS for the EFI? Maybe page 3 birds, or famous medal winners of the Corps?

Reminds me of the Tennants cans with women on them. Totally pointless but great all the same.

Uber geek site: http://www.cannyscot.com/

OldSnowy said:
I'm sure that some poor sad people will collect them - after all, they are only a sort of colourful 'coin', so why not?
Well, I'm one of those poor sad people. A Scandinavian but also a member of a British organisation which studies all mediums of exchange, which these pogs are too. They're not as cool as the British Forces' own banknotes were a few decades ago, but still. The pogs are one of the very few official barter money in this century.

By reading what people write, they are cheesy, but I can't really say as I haven't actualy seen one. I've got coins and notes from some godforsaken burrows but none of the pogs. And I don't want to buy them from ebay from someone who has been closest to a uniformed Briton when watching Trooping the Colour from telly.

If someone would like to make a modest deal on a couple of pogs, please drop a note. I can promise that the pogs would end up under glass where people can stare them in exhibits and ask "have these actualy been used somewhere?" and also get (if preferred) name on the an exhib guide's list of people I want to thank.

The choggi wallah in LKG used to swap his POGs with me for real money. So what? I could still spend them in the EFI, he got real money for use out in Lash and my laundry was delivered to my bedspace the same morning. Up to 48h turn around or rooting through 1000 white bags looking for a flash of tag or bottle top? I don't think so!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CH512O RLC 130
The-Lord-Flasheart The Intelligence Cell 33
Mighty_doh_nut The NAAFI Bar 497