N Korean nuclear strike could cause chaos in US

It's a bit hard to make changes without direct engagement, I wonder if there are any Japanese left to release? I can't think they will have been treated well and probably been the recipient of war crimes, not something Kim will want hanging over him.

Still, a massive roller coaster from the apparent brink of war (although pretty unilateral that it wouldn't have happened) to open talks. I am suspicious but hopeful.

Before 12 mile zones were established it would have all been there'
No it wouldn't and they've never tried to claim it.

They don't even call it the South China Sea, that's our name. To them, it's the Southern Sea.

UN Security Council Resolutions on North Korea
Looks like it’s a stage towards UNSCR 1718. It would be nice to think a unanimous Resolution will be complied with. I believe the tests suspension has been ongoing since the Winter Olympics and the test site is believed unworkable since the collapse.

Sanctions and proper implementation on the face of it appear to be working. A halt on two, four to go:

Resolution 1718:

Demands North Korea refrain from further nuclear or missile tests.

Demands North Korea return to the NPT.

Decides North Korea shall suspend all ballistic missile activities.

Decides North Korea shall abandon its nuclear program in a “complete, verifiable, and irreversible” manner.

Decides North Korea shall abandon all WMD activities.

Calls upon North Korea to return to the Six-Party Talks.

So if what Kim says he has all the tests he needs to go into 'production' which is quite possible with what he has said, imagine the talks between Trump and Kim when Kim tells him....

Surely it's a scenario the US are discussing?

Coming on the back of Pompeo's 'secret' meeting with Un over Easter weekend.
I wonder what the US offered him as an incentive to deal.
It must have been a very interesting and motivating package.
North Korea reportedly assured Pompeo that release of 3 detainees could be joined with upcoming summit
North Korea announces end to missile testing as Trump cites 'big progress'

'Denuclearisation' is something that has always been on the US's agenda for the 'other country' but even if it's done under the eyes of US personel the trump card always remains (if and when needed) that 'the DPRK had a secret stash somewhere hidden under a rock somewhere'.
We've heard the same many times recently... The other country disarmed completely but must have kept some back so are now using it on militias bought and funded by the world police.
US don't trust DPRK and vice versa.

Why did Un have a 'secret' RV with China a couple of days before meeting Pompeo?
Why Kim Jong-un’s China visit matters
Obviously 'secret' is in inverted commas because they were anything but as we have available hyperlinks.
If North Korea Talks Are Not Fruitful, ‘I Will Respectfully Leave,’ Trump Says

Coming on the back of Pompeo's 'secret' meeting with Un over Easter weekend.
I wonder what the US offered him as an incentive to deal.
It must have been a very interesting and motivating package.
North Korea reportedly assured Pompeo that release of 3 detainees could be joined with upcoming summit
North Korea announces end to missile testing as Trump cites 'big progress'

'Denuclearisation' is something that has always been on the US's agenda for the 'other country' but even if it's done under the eyes of US personel the trump card always remains (if and when needed) that 'the DPRK had a secret stash somewhere hidden under a rock somewhere'.
We've heard the same many times recently... The other country disarmed completely but must have kept some back so are now using it on militias bought and funded by the world police.
US don't trust DPRK and vice versa.

Why did Un have a 'secret' RV with China a couple of days before meeting Pompeo?
Why Kim Jong-un’s China visit matters
Obviously 'secret' is in inverted commas because they were anything but as we have available hyperlinks.
If North Korea Talks Are Not Fruitful, ‘I Will Respectfully Leave,’ Trump Says
All the headlines point to “Tubby III says he’s doing what he has been doing and is now complying with a couple of the multiple Resolutions”.

Information Warfare at its best. Tell them you’re doing something you have been doing and they’ll lap it up.

Work's both ways.
Xi and his many advisors would have had lots of advice for Un.
Both parties would have been well aware of Pompeo's imminent arrival a day or two later.

Even with the talks with Un coming up Donald Trump still appears to be acting in a very John Wayne and undiplomatic manner.

'The Pentagon announced it would invest an extra $200m in the Lockheed Martin's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system previously criticised by North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
Lockheed Martin's CEO Marilynn Hewson supported the decision, telling CNBC: "It’s an air defence system that is very much needed in that region of the world and other regions of the world.
"We are confident that’s exactly what the US needs."

The announcement about the extra funds comes after President Trump revealed CIA Director Mike Pompeo had met with Kim to lay the groundwork for a possible meeting between the two leaders.

But despite Mr Trump welcoming the meeting as progress, Mr Pompeo warned the US may have to "move past diplomacy" to put an end to Kim's World War 3 threats.
Mr Pompeo said that he "did not favour regime change" in North Korea, where the dictator is known to have "continued to develop nuclear weapons since Trump took office" however, he made it clear he "did not rule out military action".

During a meeting with a Senate committee, one senator asked if there was "any circumstance" where "a ground invasion of North Korea would be necessary in order to rid that country of its nuclear weapons programme".
Mr Pompeo replied: "I suppose I could hypothesise such situations so I’ll answer your question as could I imagine one? Yes, yes senator, I could.
"I mean, I suppose it's possible that we would get to the condition … where Kim Jong-un was directly threatening and we had information about his activities.

World War 3 WARNING: US weapons system that scares Kim receives $200m extra funds

If this is the US's attitude to DPRK you can bet your house that any talks (even if they do actually happen) will be very unproductive.
If the US were actually serious about bilateral talks with DPRK they really would have done this after the talks not before.

Lucky there's no internet on the planet where any Chinese or N Koreans could pick up on this story.
Otherwise the cat might be well and truly out of the bag just as things were looking up.

Work's both ways.
Xi and his many advisors would have had lots of advice for Un.
Both parties would have been well aware of Pompeo's imminent arrival a day or two later.
Yep, same as the visit to Moscow in February by the delegation. All sorts of briefs by all sorts of people to say “You’re doing what you’ve been doing and planning to do”

From the same people that gave Soetoro the Nobel Peace Prize just before he put 30k new blokes into Ganners,orchestrated the Libya fiasco and used UAVs for hits in Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen, I bring you...........

Trump's Nobel Peace Prize(?) for services to peace by defusing DPRK?

Maybe they're getting a bit too far ahead of themselves but after Obama's Peace Prize and Blair's ME Peace Envoy job anything is possible these days.
North Korea - a chance for Trump to become one of history's 'great men'?

Even with the talks with Un coming up Donald Trump still appears to be acting in a very John Wayne and undiplomatic manner.

'The Pentagon announced it would invest an extra $200m in the Lockheed Martin's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system previously criticised by North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
Lockheed Martin's CEO Marilynn Hewson supported the decision, telling CNBC: "It’s an air defence system that is very much needed in that region of the world and other regions of the world.
"We are confident that’s exactly what the US needs."

The announcement about the extra funds comes after President Trump revealed CIA Director Mike Pompeo had met with Kim to lay the groundwork for a possible meeting between the two leaders.

But despite Mr Trump welcoming the meeting as progress, Mr Pompeo warned the US may have to "move past diplomacy" to put an end to Kim's World War 3 threats.
Mr Pompeo said that he "did not favour regime change" in North Korea, where the dictator is known to have "continued to develop nuclear weapons since Trump took office" however, he made it clear he "did not rule out military action".

During a meeting with a Senate committee, one senator asked if there was "any circumstance" where "a ground invasion of North Korea would be necessary in order to rid that country of its nuclear weapons programme".
Mr Pompeo replied: "I suppose I could hypothesise such situations so I’ll answer your question as could I imagine one? Yes, yes senator, I could.
"I mean, I suppose it's possible that we would get to the condition … where Kim Jong-un was directly threatening and we had information about his activities.

World War 3 WARNING: US weapons system that scares Kim receives $200m extra funds

If this is the US's attitude to DPRK you can bet your house that any talks (even if they do actually happen) will be very unproductive.
If the US were actually serious about bilateral talks with DPRK they really would have done this after the talks not before.

Lucky there's no internet on the planet where any Chinese or N Koreans could pick up on this story.
Otherwise the cat might be well and truly out of the bag just as things were looking up.
But surely the big boys (and girls) know the Internet and media spin, none of it really matters if the US and Kim are both playing the same game.

Pompeo tells Kim you will hear bellicose but we are committed, it doesn't matter to Kim because then North hear what he says and China are singing from the same hymn sheet.

Don't be suprised that after a 'deal' the US softens it duties on China, but in a way that America still has a win.

Or the impression of a win sold by the western media.

PRC/DPRK are also playing the same game.
I'd be amazed if any talks actually happen.

I am sure the Daily Beast has access to the top military advisors.

None the less, the vacuum on the details of the strike provides Willy waving stories on both sides. I hope the US release RQ-180 footage or whatever they had in the air over the targets.

Let's just say that all is not what it seems, there were assets up there that didn't drop ordnance but could have, so they were doing something.

Game changer.
Russia: U.S. strikes remove moral hurdles for S-300 missiles for...
Escalation is in the wind for the next time.
Never put a plane where you can put a missile.
Dead planes equal dead pilots and the genpop gets queasy when blokes start coming back in bits and pieces.
Russian Missiles Alarm Israel, Stoking Risk of Next Syria Crisis

Didn't take the superpower that is Australia to wade in on the supposed future talks between DPRK and US, did it?
They do nothing unless the US tells them first.
Like a ventriloquists dummy.
Bishop warns North Korea can't be trusted over vow to halt missile tests

As I said, I'd be very surprised if Trump goes, he may send another minion- time will tell.

Game changer.
Russia: U.S. strikes remove moral hurdles for S-300 missiles for...
Escalation is in the wind for the next time.
Never put a plane where you can put a missile.
Dead planes equal dead pilots and the genpop gets queasy when blokes start coming back in bits and pieces.
Russian Missiles Alarm Israel, Stoking Risk of Next Syria Crisis

Didn't take the superpower that is Australia to wade in on the supposed future talks between DPRK and US, did it?
They do nothing unless the US tells them first.
Like a ventriloquists dummy.
Bishop warns North Korea can't be trusted over vow to halt missile tests

As I said, I'd be very surprised if Trump goes, he may send another minion- time will tell.
DPRK, try to keep on track.

Is he promising something he’s not already doing?

In the South China sea?
The clue is probably in the name somewhere.
Before 12 mile zones were established it would have all been there's.
Apart from the obvious about naming conventions that others have pointed out, may I draw your attention to:

Territorial waters - Wikipedia

and in particular this paragraph:

"From the eighteenth century until the mid twentieth century, the territorial waters of the British Empire, the United States, France and many other nations were three nautical miles (5.6 km) wide. Originally, this was the length of a cannon shot, hence the portion of an ocean that a sovereign state could defend from shore. However, Iceland claimed two nautical miles (3.7 km), Norway and Sweden claimed four nautical miles (7.4 km), and Spain claimed 6 nautical miles (11 km; 6.9 mi) during this period. During incidents such as nuclear weapons testing and fisheries disputes some nations arbitrarily extended their maritime claims to as much as fifty or even two hundred nautical miles. Since the late 20th century the "12 mile limit" has become almost universally accepted. The United Kingdom extended its territorial waters from three to twelve nautical miles (22 km) in 1987. "

To summarise, "Before 12 mile zones were established, only the first 3 miles would have all been there's".

I await your acknowledgement of your fuckwittery.

But since they did and the talks are going ahead anyway, it would seem that a major ball busting must have taken place...or... the NK's have now read all the premptive strike plans they hacked from the South, and realised how close to vaporisation they came.

Interesting times indeed.

Tedium, misinformation and muddying the waters...but then that is his job.
Do pray tell when NK has treated any talks seriously before? They have a long history of broken promises. Talks to them are simply a way on trying to get concessions for nothing and buying time. Hence the warning that if they aren’t serious the US underTrump is not going to play their game.

Shouldn’t think the Chinese are too thrilled about this next door.
North Korea is risking another Chernobyl disaster, warns nuclear physicist

They unfortunately seem to have enough trouble with busses.
Tourism HORROR as dozens of Chinese 'dead' following MAJOR North Korea bus crash

Last edited: