N.Korea proposed to destroy all its missiles if...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jun 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. N.Korea proposed to destroy all its medium-range and long-range missiles if USA would establish diplomatic relations with it.

Just have heard about it on Russian TV but failed to find this info on BBC. Have you heard about the proposition?

2. Nothing on BBC.

It sounds implausible.

The only way North Korea would give up their nukes would be if Japan gave Kim Jong Il a life-size Godzilla.

3. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

KGB Res, I know that you like to get a rise out of people on the site, and in doing so you provoke some very interesting threads but do you really propose that anyone trusts a nation run by a dead bloke and his hairy palmed son?

I wouldn't trust North Korea to hand over a water pistol as we all know that will have a catapult as well.

4. Sounds like bull excreta to me:

Batsh1t crazy Stalinist dictator says he'll hand over nukes if people would just talk to him. He's so velly ronery, you know. (couldn't resist)

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

N Korea? Yep, the problems there could be solved by China at a stroke - if they wanted to. It suits the chinks to have a batshit crazy on their border, to make them look reasonable :)

6. Nothing on The North Korean news agency about it. There was this though. Sounds like the place was rocking:

Art Performance of Agricultural Workers Held
    Onchon , June 17 (KCNA) -- An art performance was given by the Art Squad of the Central Committee of the Union of Agricultural Workers of Korea at the Mayong Co-op Farm in Onchon County, South Phyongan Province on June 17 on the occasion of the 41st anniversary of leader Kim Jong Il's start of work at the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea. It began with an ode and song "Song Devoted to Comrade Kim Jong Il". Put on the stage were colorful numbers such as male vocal solo and Pangchang "Korea, I Will Glorify Thee", an immortal famous work of Kim Jong Il, dialogic poem "Great Proclamation" and male chorus "Long Live the Workers' Party of Korea".
    Male vocal solo and singing to the accompaniment of Oungum "The Blue Sky over My Country", mixed quintet of serial songs "Golden Ears of Rice Sway on Either Side of the Road Leading to the Frontline", a female vocal solo "Three Thousand-Ri of Taehongdan" and other numbers impressively deal with the resolution of the unionists and agricultural workers to bring a rich harvest to the land which has been defended and cultivated by Kim Jong Il while making ceaseless long journeys for Songun leadership. It was closed with a poem and chorus "We Will Hold Our General in Higher Esteem" and song "We Will Defend the Headquarters of the Revolution with Our Lives".

7. I saw some twät on CNN promoting his new film about life inside North Korea - given that the place is usually locked down to foreign journos but they let him in, you can guess his politics - and what the portrayal of NK in the film is.

They've been encouraged to blame the US for everything, including the electricity & food shortages. They have speakers in their houses which they can turn down but not off pumping in propaganda 24 hrs a day (1984 style), which he didn't protray as a problem or an intrusion. He even said (with a smirk) that the US started the Korean War (I always understood that NK artillery opened fire 1st, and then followed a UN resolution which saw the US & a heap of other countries intervene, but revisionists never let the truth get in the way of their agenda). CNUT!

8. Hi friends!

1. I strongly dislike (softly speaking) N.Korean communist regime.
    2. I don't trust this madman little dictator Kim.
    3. All N.Korean propositions are rather ruses than serious attempts to establish peace.

But...

what about freedom of information? Such an important proposition should be in mainstream mass-meadia immediately. Where is information about this on BBC (I suppose the best news-source in the world)?

As to Russian TV then

http://www.1tv.ru/

I think that BBC wait for official American reaction. But have Britons right to know about the proposition before the reaction?

9. Quote:
    The leader OF PDRK - PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF KOREA Kim Jong Il promises to liquidate all North Korean ballistic missiles of medium and short distance if Washington will officially establish with Pyongyang diplomatic relations.

I'll bet he had his fingers crossed when he said it though.

10. http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=1051496

11. Cunning. Almost certainly no serious verification procedure will be agreed and hence the evil imperialist USA will be to blame for the collapse of this great initiative. But they only want to attack NK to get hold of its vast reserves of...err...starving people??

12. Let's ask ourselves, is there any difference between N.Korea and Vietnam? Both countries have communist regimes, both were at war with USA.

So why in one case diplomatic relations were restored in 1995 (20 years after the end of Vietnamese war). And now prime minister of Vietnam is in USA on official visit.

By contrast more than half century passed after Krean war. There are no diplomatic relations. Why? It is absolutely unclear.

As to the proposition then it is political game of course. But Americans can make very unexpected replay it they would say:

OK. Let's establish diplomatic relations without any conditions. You promised to destroy all missiles. OK. We will look at this to see how serious are you.

In these conditions first test of N.Kerean missiles would be enough cause to break diplomatic relations and Americans anyway would be in present situation but with important propagandistic benefits. If N.Koreans would not test missiles for a long enough period then it would be a great thing.

So our American friends were given an excellent chance to be winners in political game. Would they use this opportunity?

13. Things have come to a sorry state when the North Korean propaganda machine outmanoeuvres the US. Of course there is no chance at all that NK will disarm, but that's not the point.

If the US does anything less than take this offer seriously then in the eyes of a lot of the world they will be seen as picking a fight, but simultaneously being too weak to start one. With some of the the forces that used to be in South Korea now committed to Iraq there's no way the US can kick off and if NK attacks it will probably take indiscriminate bombing and maybe even nukes to stop them.

Now of course no-one in the US will care - but that's the point. The countries the US would wish to support them in their actions will continue to decline. Of course no-one in the US seems to be bothered about being alone from the amount of gung-ho rhetoric that flies around any time they get criticised. But ask yourself, whose interests are served by continued US isolation from what used to be neutral or alliesd states ?

14. Tilbake quoted:

Wasn't that an old ABBA hit?

KGB-resident wondered:

Serg, the Viets arn't really commies when it comes to $coffee$...

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/02/04/vietnam/

I've always contended if ya cut off our coffee and come like a thief in the night...

This is something Prime Minister Phan Van Khai and our billy boy
    must be having tea over...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/aplocal_story.asp?category=6420&slug=Vietnam%20Protest

It's the devil's own work ya know

think about it:

[​IMG]

8O

15. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Their is a fundamental difference between N Korea and Vietnam.

The Vietnamese were a marxist/leninist government based on the overthrow of wht they saw as imperialist (originally French) aggression.

The N Korean Government are as mad as a bag of weasels with their collective scrotums dipped in chilli sauce.

Quite simple really.....

MiB, who is applying to the LSE as lecturer in social economics.