N.Irish catholic... with a dilemma!!!!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Ned_Kelly, Jun 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey ppl i've just come across this site FINALLY as i cant find anything else on the internet worthwhile even registering with..

seems to be ALOT of guys here who are ex or current servicemen... with a wealth of experience :)

Im in a dilemma.. I've always wanted to join the army and recently i got the ball rolling by visiting the local ACIO.. who were more than happy to accomadate me with plenty of information on regiments jobs etc.. and a BARB arranged soon...

My dilemma is im a catholic from a nationlist area.. some of my friends dont have a problem with me joining up but theres others that i wud'nt even dream of telling cus they would label me a traitor.. yes these people are stuck in the past but thats just the way it is over here.. i dont want to join up and then never be able to return home.. hoping to join the Royal Irish Regiment.. is there any irish troops that can give me advice and share there experiences of how people from home have reacted to there decision...

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

No direct experience myslef, but from reading a book by Tim Collins, there were numerous soldiers in the bn in the same boat. For the most part, i believe they simply didnt tell anyone, and took care not to appear in the press. When deployed on Ops in N Ireland, they wore balaclava masks or something along those lines.

3. "The Real IRA had to admit it, they had seriously underestimated the effect of the ceasefire on their intelligence capability..."

4. I'm not from Northern Ireland and I'm not a Catholic so hopefully someone in your position will give you chapter and verse on what they do but, unless someone can give you a good reason otherwise, don't tell them you are going into the Army. I do some building work, mostly groundwork and there are all sorts of youngsters looking for a job. I think you're best bet would be to say you have got a job somewhere in the UK and let them believe that. It's sad that you might have to make up a story about what you do for the folks back home but that might have to be how it is going to be. I served back in the seventies and did 3 tours in Northern Ireland. The peace process has been around for a while now but some people just won't change with the times and I think that probably goes for both sides of the fence. I haven't been back to the North since I was there in the seventies but I hear on the grapevine that there is still a lot of emnity and belligerence in some quarters. It's entirely possible that you will have to really beef up your own personal security if you join. I hope I'm wrong and someone will say no, it's not like that now but to be macabre about it, you are a long time dead so you have to be really careful. Good luck.

5. I have a similar problem - I'm from the South, but have similar fears, particularly for my family. When I raised this issue with R IRISH they assured me it is a common fear, and the Regiment have procedures to protect you, such as providing you with a non military address where you friends can write to you, and advice on cover stories etc.

On a more general note, don't overestimate people's curiosity about what you are doing. Tell them you are labouring in the UK, or some job that requires you to keep fit, and that will be enough. People are nosy, but once they get a story they will leave it at that, they will rarely ask for details, or remember them if they get them.

6. ye m8 what you've said is definetly right... its a BIG decision for me.. and i really dont want to rush ahead... it bugs me.. if you dont stay on in school and go to university ur stuck with a life off working on building sites and getting ripped off ... im sick off it...

7. My regiment (RDG) takes recruits from both sides of the border and has always had quite a few RCs from NI. In my experience they were generally allowed leave back home, but this was area & situation dependant. I used to go down and stay with a few of them on leave and vice vera.

It was an eye-opener to see how many from their community were aware of what they did for a living and didn't give a sh1t! At the same time there was always one or two sullen bast ards from my mates' peer group who were 'involved' and would give you daggers in the bar. In the best traditions of those organisations, they were too fcuking yellow to do anything there and then.

To be fair there were very few from the red areas of Belfast/Londonderry though, the majority coming from the Fermanagh area due to our regiment's link with Enniskillen. I've been out three years so the situation may have changed.

CW
    Quis Separabit
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

8. Ye bud... its very irritating... my family is also my biggest concern.. da guys from da RIR also said that to me that the security off there members is paramount... however ppl will always be curious and ask questions bugs me wud they be saying that if Al-Queda bombed an irish airport nope.. they all forget that the al-queda are at war wit ALL western countrys :(
    and also theres not much on offer over here for any lad the IDF has closed its doors to the young men of dis country wot do they expect..
    Are you going to go for it do you think?

9. The Army will offer you a great future if you decide that's what you want to do and there are thousands of Irishmen who currently benefit from from being a part of it both from North and South of the border. e.g. Wager has already posted on this thread. I remember having a colleague in 1RGJ who served on the last tour I did in the New Lodge who was from Belfast although he was a protestant. Go for it, enjoy yourself and have a great time but, get your personal security together and make sure you keep your guard up at all times when you are back home. It sounds like you will get a lot of advice from the Army. Listen to it and always, always practise what they tell you. Good luck again.

10. As the biggest bigoted Pope loathing,Catholic hateing anti religious bastard zealot on this site, my advice is join the RIR their a great bunch of blokes and they have a F**k off big dog called Bryan

11. Thanks lads for the advice ;)

has helped put me at ease about my decision still alot off thinking to do though :)

But hopefully i make the right decision

12. jeez tropper dat waz a mouthful lol.... So if i just ask for the big dog Bryan wen i get there everything will be 100% gud stuff u have just sealed my decision... Byran will sort it out ;) lol

13. Bryan is still quite high on my shite list since he tried to shag my GSD Bitch in FT George cant post the photos on this thread

14. i'm a Catholic born and bred in Dublin and have had nothing but great banter with the lads being an Irishman in the British Army.

i spent 6 years in Northern Ireland (most of that pre-ceasefire) and being Irish was only ever a problem with scumbags outside the Army whislt the soldiers in the Army respected me for joining given the extra security pressures that come with joining 'the Brits'.

as some of the lads above have said - get yourself a decent cover story and don't tell anyone and you will be sorted and can still come home to family and friends on leave.

you will make new life long friends in the Army anyhow so don't worry too much fella and go for it.

all the best bud!

15. [​IMG]

I rather like the "Fcukin' woodentop cnut" look that Brian Boru is giving the Irish Guards wolfhound, who appears to be asking "What did you just say tae me?"

I also like this...

[​IMG]

...captioned "Brian Boru VII with his companion, Lucky." The implication that the mascot of the R IRISH has a same-sex "partner" could keep the NAAFI picket in business for months!