Mystery rank WW2

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by brettarider, Feb 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just came off the blower to my dad tonight he was at the funeral of an old boy Dave cambell who popped his cloggs at the age of 93. Anyway He was mobilised in 39 and de-mobbed in 46 was a gunner for the duration but was very proud of his rank and kept his pay book to show it as he reckoned he was the only one to hold it within the army at the time. The only thing I can think of is master gunner any other theories? The euolgy at the service didnt mention what it was.

2. Without sight of the paybook we are rather at a loss ....

3. I know, Grasping at straws but wondering if theres/was some obscure drop short rank a bit like conductor in the RLC.

4. Master Gunner is an appointment of Warrant Officer in the British Army's Royal Artillery. Master Gunners are experts in the technical aspects of gunnery. They fill advisory rather than command posts. The appointment is split into two classes: Master Gunners 2nd and 1st Class are Warrant Officers Class 1. The appointment of Master Gunner should not be confused with that of Master Gunner, St. James's Park, who is the ceremonial head of the Royal Regiment of Artillery?

Master Gunner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. was it MG? having to guess as there's no mention of it and no picture!

6. Interesting Bushmills but do you think someone with 6yrs yrs service would have got the St James park gig? I'd assume thaat would be an old and bold posting.

7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Courtesy of Wikipaedia

Master Gunners of St James' Park c1900 - Date:

General Sir Collingwood Dickson VC GCB 1891-1904

Field Marshal The Earl Roberts VC KG KP GCB OM GCSI GCIE 1904-1914

General Sir Robert Biddulph GCB GCMG 1914-1918

Major General Francis William Ward CB 1918-1919

General Sir Edward Francis Chapman KCB 1919-1926

General The Lord Horne GCB KCMG 1926-1929

Field Marshal The Lord Milne GCB GCMG DSO 1929-1946

Field Marshal The Viscount Alanbrooke KG GCB OM GCVO DSO 1946-1956

General Sir Cameron Nicholson GCB KBE DSO MC 1956-1960

General Sir Robert Mansergh GCB KBE MC 1960-1970

Field Marshal Sir Geoffrey Baker GCB CMG CBE MC 1970-1976

General Sir Harry Tuzo GCB OBE MC 1977-1983

General Sir Thomas Morony KCB OBE 1983-1988

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB 1988-1996

Field Marshal The Lord Vincent GBE KCB DSO 1996-2000

General Sir Alexander Harley KBE CB 2001-2008

General Sir Timothy Granville-Chapman GBE KCB ADC Gen 2008

As you can see, it's not really an "Old and Bold" posting in the normally accepted meaning of the term.

8. Might he have been one of the last WOIIIs?

Most were commisioned to Lt during the war but some held on and retired in rank.

I wouldn't have thought that many WOIIIs would have been left in by 1945 and I believe the last one left in 1948 at which point the rank was mothballed and left us with just Class IIs and Is.

Master Gunner can be a Warrant Officer rank in the RA IIRC.

9. Are we sure that this chap was Army? I wonder if he was a commissioned RM Gunner?

Ranks, Badges and Pay in the Royal Navy in World War 2

Royal Marine Gunner

Commissioned Royal Marine Gunner

Lieutenant

Captain

10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

11. I've no idea of the answer but I'll hazard a guess.

Prior to WW2, there were a number of Gunner (as in private soldier) ranks until they were rationalised into the single rank of Gunner.
    Driver was the most common besides Gunner, but there were others.

One of the war/military graves in our local cemetery belongs to a Royal Field Artillery soldier in the rank of Signaller.
    Probably one of the rarest of the ranks (as opposed to appointment) was Shoeing Smith.

(one of them on the searchable CWGC register is a W.Pate, RFA)

Now of course, unusual as they were, none of them were unique.

But I'm wondering if by chance one of them might have been continued, say for instance, when the Mounted Band were dismounted at the beginning of the war, someone might have stayed with a Shoeing Smith rank or similar, for some reason.

Apart from that guess, I've no idea.

12. Cheers for the replies I'd imagine WO3 is the most likely candidate. As a sise note my dads grandfather was a Dvr in the RFA.

13. Perhaps he was just a Gnr, the RA had loads of them?

14. was a WO3 not a TSM?