• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Mystery plane

Not sure if anybody can help or advise. Every week, bang on time I get a jet (seems to be a small Lear / Hawker style) circle over my neighbourhood (I'm not paranoid, it's not just over my house!), exactly same flight pattern, over and over and over again in circles for around an hour or so. Few months ago it was in a different pattern, at speed (or so it seemed) in straight lines and then turning back on itself and repeating again and again. The recent low cirlce pattern I thought may belong to the Police watching the area but it's a nice area, no motorways and why keep coming back to the same spot I thought it could be some mapping / image company taking a survey, but again the same spot and also at night.
Just curious as to what it is up to and it is getting annoying every Sunday night as I'm about to get my head down...the thing is low and noisy - it is a suburb / residential area just north of Portsmouth, surely it's against some sort of law / ruling. The only thing I think it could be is an MOD project; DSTL do have some sort of radar / comms set up near by.

Any pointers? Where can I found out more??

Cheers

edited for mong spelling

[tinfoil hat]
Aah, you've discovered one of the secret american planes that are spraying us with mindcontrol drugs while we're asleep :sleepy: ; it's all a global conspiracy you see. Watch out for the black helicopters now, they'll be watching you......through your TV! 8O :wink:
[/tinfoil hat]

polar69 said:
radar calibration flight ? Navigation training ?
Almost certainly ... radar or ILS [instrument landing system]. Either case [but especially the latter] will require no other aircraft between the Cal Flt and the emitter, which at a busy airport may mean doing night runs.

Do you have an airport or mil airfield in your area? The location [almost certainly an extension of the main runway centreline, probably out to 10-15 nm] will give you a clue.

I would guess it is something to do with the Type 45 Destroyer mast on top of Portsdown Hill. It is huge! Near it are normal size masts from a Type 42 and they look really small. The 45s are the new class of destroyer costing about £1billion each, and will be the most advanced anti aircraft and missile system in the world. The trial unit is on top of the hill.

Just a guess, as I don't really know. We are moving near there soon, so I will look out for the aircraft...and maybe buy some tinfoil just in case!

Lanky, you are on the same wavelength (no pun intended), that site on the hill (dstl?) is the one I meant and the most likely reason... The masts are a giveaway!

You are probably seeing the FRA jet out of Bournemouth Airport. FRA do a lot of target towing, drone stuff as well as bolting on radar type stuff onto wings of their Jetstream jets.

pompey said:
Lanky, you are on the same wavelength (no pun intended), that site on the hill (dstl?) is the one I meant and the most likely reason... The masts are a giveaway!
They are just huge, I can't wait to see a 45 tied up alongside a 42!

But back to the trials one on the hill, it should be called "The Angel of the South!"

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
pompey said:
Not sure if anybody can help or advise. Every week, bang on time I get a jet (seems to be a small Lear / Hawker style) circle over my neighbourhood (I'm not paranoid, it's not just over my house!), exactly same flight pattern, over and over and over again in circles for around an hour or so. Few months ago it was in a different pattern, at speed (or so it seemed) in straight lines and then turning back on itself and repeating agaon and again. The recent low cirlce pattern I thought may belong to the Police watching the area but it's a nice area, no motorways and why keep coming nack to the same spot I thought it could be some mapping / image company taking a survey, but again the same spot and also at night.
Just curious as to what it is up to and it is getting annoying every Sunday night as I'm about to get my head down...the thing is low and noisy - it is a suburb / residential area just north of Portsmouth, surely it's against some sort of law / ruling. The only thing I think it could be is an MOD project; DSTL do have some sort of radar / comms set up near by.

Cheers
Fella, 'tis the FRADU aircraft, they have a series of regular sorties over Pompey harbour and the LBTS

A2_Matelot said:
pompey said:
Not sure if anybody can help or advise. Every week, bang on time I get a jet (seems to be a small Lear / Hawker style) circle over my neighbourhood (I'm not paranoid, it's not just over my house!), exactly same flight pattern, over and over and over again in circles for around an hour or so. Few months ago it was in a different pattern, at speed (or so it seemed) in straight lines and then turning back on itself and repeating agaon and again. The recent low cirlce pattern I thought may belong to the Police watching the area but it's a nice area, no motorways and why keep coming nack to the same spot I thought it could be some mapping / image company taking a survey, but again the same spot and also at night.

Cheers
Fella, 'tis the FRADU aircraft, they have a series of regular sorties over Pompey harbour and the LBTS
Cheers Matelot.... [takes off tinfoil hat and comes out of garden shed]

pompey said:
it is a suburb / residential area just north of Portsmouth, surely it's against some sort of law / ruling. The only thing I think it could be is an MOD project; DSTL do have some sort of radar / comms set up near by.

edited for mong spelling
if it is over the Havent / Clanfield area then I could tell you who it is very easily but then I'd have to kill you

happybonzo said:
pompey said:
it is a suburb / residential area just north of Portsmouth, surely it's against some sort of law / ruling. The only thing I think it could be is an MOD project; DSTL do have some sort of radar / comms set up near by.

edited for mong spelling
if it is over the Havent / Clanfield area then I could tell you who it is very easily but then I'd have to kill you
That would be the 'Auhtorities' keeping any eye on the Leigh Parkers, can't have them getting out!!!

Latest Threads