Mystery of the Primes may describe a Quantum Chaos system in Nature

I've always thought there was some underlying mathematical pattern to describe events in nature, whether it be the genetic stripes of the zebra or the swirling water of a whirlpool. Even though these shapes are complex they still have a recognisable pattern.

And now I've just been watching a Chaos Theory course by TTC which touches on another possible mystery.

Every school kid having to take GCSE Maths has come across Prime Numbers, those tricky numbers which can only be divided by one and themselves, like 2, 3 and 5. But we'll get off the maths part because I suck at maths and prefer to speak about patterns in layman's terms.

Now these Prime numbers go off into infinity, but as they fly off into oblivion they also form a pattern because as the numbers get larger the Primes get rarer and appear less often, this can be shown in the graph below:

Now herein comes the weird part. This graph was originally discovered by Gauss and the Gauss part indicates the slightly curved straight line, but it was then improved with greater accuracy by Riemann in the mid 1800s to show the stepped line. This improvement was called the Riemann hypothesis and was a guess based on a wave pattern called The Music of the Primes.

Riemann hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why is it called music? Because music is also made of waves, sound waves. No-one's been able to prove Riemann's hypothesis and it's regarded as one of the greatest problems in all of maths.

But what does all this have to do with patterns in nature?

Quantum systems have energy levels corresponding to waves vibrating at certain frequencies. The Music of the Primes is also encoded in a set of frequencies - the zeroes of the Riemann data function.

The frequencies of the Riemann waves look uncannily like the frequencies of a quantum chaotic system.

It seems there might be a chaotic quantum system which no-one has discovered yet which has a counterpart as the prime number frequencies. There could be a matching pattern between the Primes and a quantum pattern in nature!

Chaos, atoms and Prime Numbers, is there a connection?

Answers from people who are better than me at maths, I finally got a C at my second go at GCSE so that'll be everyone.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TLDR - a graph which shows the frequency of atoms vibrating looks just like the graph showing the frequency of Prime Numbers.

DC

I've always thought there was some underlying mathematical pattern ....

The only ones I can think of are the letter "s " and their joint appearance on this thread ... then again I am well into my third glass of Merlot and the brain is nicely befuddled .

I've always thought there was some underlying mathematical pattern to describe events in nature, whether it be the genetic stripes of the zebra or the swirling water of a whirlpool. Even though these shapes are complex they still have a recognisable pattern.

And now I've just been watching a Chaos Theory course by TTC which touches on another possible mystery.

Every school kid having to take GCSE Maths has come across Prime Numbers, those tricky numbers which can only be divided by one and themselves, like 2, 3 and 5. But we'll get off the maths part because I suck at maths and prefer to speak about patterns in layman's terms.

Now these Prime numbers go off into infinity, but as they fly off into oblivion they also form a pattern because as the numbers get larger the Primes get rarer and appear less often, this can be shown in the graph below:

Now herein comes the weird part. This graph was originally discovered by Gauss and the Gauss part indicates the slightly curved straight line, but it was then improved with greater accuracy by Riemann in the mid 1800s to show the stepped line. This improvement was called the Riemann hypothesis and was a guess based on a wave pattern called The Music of the Primes.

Why is it called music? Because music is also made of waves, sound waves. No-one's been able to prove Riemann's hypothesis and it's regarded as one of the greatest problems in all of maths.

Quantum systems have energy levels corresponding to waves vibrating at certain frequencies. The Music of the Primes is also encoded in a set of frequencies - the zeroes of the Riemann data function.

The frequencies of the Riemann waves look uncannily like the frequencies of a quantum chaotic system.

It seems there might be a chaotic quantum system which no-one has discovered yet which has a counterpart as the prime number frequencies. There could be a matching pattern between the Primes and a quantum pattern in nature!

Answers from people who are better than me at maths, I finally got a C at my second go at GCSE so that'll be everyone.

TLDR - a graph which shows the frequency of atoms vibrating looks just like the graph showing the frequency of Prime Numbers. DC
Simply confirms what I've long suspected [yawn]..........

tac

Electrons fill the various shells around nuclei in even numbers, is that something to do with it?

Or is it to do with the valid combinations of protons and neutrons in the nucleus itself (I think that's a bit more complicated)

Anyway thanks.

TLDR - a graph which shows the frequency of atoms vibrating looks just like the graph showing the frequency of Prime Numbers.

DC
For sure.

Yeah...I mentioned that in one of the AYR debates last year...amazing.

It also seems likely that matter is sustained by frequencies in harmony...there is really nothing solid in existence...:?

I think you also said something about there being only one photon, but in many places at once. Seeing that photons have no mass and are subject to wave particle duality/tending to infinity perhaps it might be a valid theory.

I see Feynman & Wheeler came up with the electron one.

As a by-product of this same view, I received a telephone call one day at the graduate college at Princeton from Professor Wheeler, in which he said, "Feynman, I know why all electrons have the same charge and the same mass" "Why?" "Because, they are all the same electron!" And, then he explained on the telephone, "suppose that the world lines which we were ordinarily considering before in time and space—instead of only going up in time were a tremendous knot, and then, when we cut through the knot, by the plane corresponding to a fixed time, we would see many, many world lines and that would represent many electrons, except for one thing. If in one section this is an ordinary electron world line, in the section in which it reversed itself and is coming back from the future we have the wrong sign to the proper time—to the proper four velocities—and that's equivalent to changing the sign of the charge, and, therefore, that part of a path would act like a positron." "But, Professor", I said, "there aren't as many positrons as electrons." "Well, maybe they are hidden in the protons or something", he said.
—Feynman, Richard, Nobel Lecture December 11, 1965

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe

It's beyond my understanding, but interesting stuff to try and ponder.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_line - world lines as I hadn't heard of them until now.

Higgs_bosun

On ROPS
On ROPs
I think you also said something about there being only one photon, but in many places at once. Seeing that photons have no mass and are subject to wave particle duality/tending to infinity perhaps it might be a valid theory.

I see Feynman & Wheeler came up with the electron one.

One-electron universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's beyond my understanding, but interesting stuff to try and ponder.

*World line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - world lines as I hadn't heard of them until now.

Along with a theory that nothing actually moves, it's just the Mexican wave of stuff popping in and out of existence along paths of potential through space/time...an illusion. Your next shag is already in progress, it has just not emerged yet...no future and no past :omfg: