Mystery of the Primes may describe a Quantum Chaos system in Nature

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Aug 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've always thought there was some underlying mathematical pattern to describe events in nature, whether it be the genetic stripes of the zebra or the swirling water of a whirlpool. Even though these shapes are complex they still have a recognisable pattern.

And now I've just been watching a Chaos Theory course by TTC which touches on another possible mystery.

Every school kid having to take GCSE Maths has come across Prime Numbers, those tricky numbers which can only be divided by one and themselves, like 2, 3 and 5. But we'll get off the maths part because I suck at maths and prefer to speak about patterns in layman's terms.

Now these Prime numbers go off into infinity, but as they fly off into oblivion they also form a pattern because as the numbers get larger the Primes get rarer and appear less often, this can be shown in the graph below:

Now herein comes the weird part. This graph was originally discovered by Gauss and the Gauss part indicates the slightly curved straight line, but it was then improved with greater accuracy by Riemann in the mid 1800s to show the stepped line. This improvement was called the Riemann hypothesis and was a guess based on a wave pattern called The Music of the Primes.

Riemann hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why is it called music? Because music is also made of waves, sound waves. No-one's been able to prove Riemann's hypothesis and it's regarded as one of the greatest problems in all of maths.

But what does all this have to do with patterns in nature?

Quantum systems have energy levels corresponding to waves vibrating at certain frequencies. The Music of the Primes is also encoded in a set of frequencies - the zeroes of the Riemann data function.

The frequencies of the Riemann waves look uncannily like the frequencies of a quantum chaotic system.

It seems there might be a chaotic quantum system which no-one has discovered yet which has a counterpart as the prime number frequencies. There could be a matching pattern between the Primes and a quantum pattern in nature!

Chaos, atoms and Prime Numbers, is there a connection?

Answers from people who are better than me at maths, I finally got a C at my second go at GCSE so that'll be everyone.

TLDR - a graph which shows the frequency of atoms vibrating looks just like the graph showing the frequency of Prime Numbers.

2. Good luck with this one....
  3. It's a lot easier to understand if you just say that God did it, because he could.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. That's why he made adders.

I'll get me coat...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The only ones I can think of are the letter "s " and their joint appearance on this thread ... then again I am well into my third glass of Merlot and the brain is nicely befuddled .
  6. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

He's a witch, burn him!!!
  7. Isn't there a sizeable cash prize for finding new prime numbers? If there's a pattern surely it's a piece of piss? Interesting anyway.
  8. Simply confirms what I've long suspected [yawn]..........

9. It's funny, I was just thinking this the other day.
  10. My brain hurts.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Electrons fill the various shells around nuclei in even numbers, is that something to do with it?

Or is it to do with the valid combinations of protons and neutrons in the nucleus itself (I think that's a bit more complicated)

Anyway thanks.
  12. For sure.
  13. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Not until he starts advocating the metric system, he isn't.
  14. What-All one of the electrons in the Universe?
    One-electron universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia