Mystery L1A1 as seen in The Wild Geese.

The Australian SASR used cut down L1A1's in Vietnam and was called the Beast, they used L1A2 magazines and safety sear. I have also seen versions with a 40mm M203

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
As discussed with @stoatman here:

Your own fault for marrying a "sturdy" woman with a low centre of gravity... :cool:

I'm surprised with your view on the AK, I have fired them a fair amount over the years, and can't honestly say I had a control problem with any variant set on "A" (lots of other problems though!).

Firing standing unsupported (IMHO the likeliest situation for wanting to spray the Queen's enemies with HOT LEAD) I found FNs just naturally leapt about to the point that anything much further than social distancing would be deaf but unperforated, including with an L1A1 I once doctored (filing a chunk off the safety catch and cutting a notch in the thumb lever to allow it to rotate far enough round - you do stupid things when you're young and have tools). Bracing in the prone was manageable, but more a party trick than an act of war.

G3s are tonk, action like a combine harvester.
...my experience of firing FN/ L1A1 on rooty toot was that they were not easily controllable to say the least - he disagreed. But the FN is not the only toy in the box and there are other large calibre rifles which are eminently controllable on automatic.

Full auto is for ammo wasting foreigners not the steely eyed marksmen of the empire.

They didn't switch to full auto at Rourke's Drift you know.
(Appropriately) A bit of a delayed flash to bang here but this quote seems to cover it: Unfortunately by a Frenchman but via Sharpe to soften the blow :)

Richard Sharpe:
No wonder Harris reads Voltaire. Listen: Dieu ne pas pour le gros battalions, mais pour sequi teront le meilleur.
Teresa:
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but of the best shots.
Richard Sharpe:
Not bad for a Frog, eh?

Teresa:
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but of the best shots.

Richard Sharpe:
Not bad for a Frog, eh?

Latest Threads