Mystery L1A1 as seen in The Wild Geese.

Slime

LE
I see that the M14 has been mentioned.
I remember watching some programmes that showed the M14 in action, and even the hands of expienced users it proved almost completely non lethal.

I‘m not sure if it was down to accuracy or lack of kinetic energy from the round, but it just didn’t kill any opposing forces.

If you fancy watching the programmes they might be on Youtube. search for ‘The A team’.

TamH70

MIA
I remember watching some programmes that showed the M14 in action, and even the hands of expienced users it proved almost completely non lethal.

I‘m not sure if it was down to accuracy or lack of kinetic energy from the round, but it just didn’t kill any opposing forces.

If you fancy watching the programmes they might be on Youtube. search for ‘The A team’.
Mmm. Funny but not accurate. Not the M14, but the Mini-14. It was basically Jim Sullivan and Bill Ruger's "let's turn this oversized and over-heavy turd into something useable in .223 Remington" Hail Mary pass. And it worked. Spectacularly so.

NSP

LE
Never heard of the M-14 being used by the Australian Army during the time of the Vietnam War.
Or our cient rep was a Septic...

It was a regular approved local mod in the 70’s as the IWS became available
That explains a lot as it was also fitted with the IWS. Thank you.

What? It fires exactly the same round as the Mighty SLR and GPMG...

Slime

LE
What? It fires exactly the same round as the Mighty SLR and GPMG...
True, but check out the crack commando squad using it.........no one dies. ;)

Of course, maybe they weren’t a proper A team as they only had 4 members.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
We all know about the matchstick/firing pin mod - I haven't tried it and no-one I've met face to face with has either.

Anyone on here done it?
I've been in company, on a few occasions, where a shortage of linked blank meant we'd create "GPMG(SLR)" for exercises: twenty rounds of blank in one burst when you make ready. Not done or fired it myself, but been there when it was used to trigger the ambush.

Not frequent or endorsed, and if the PSI looking after us had known about it he'd have made sure that only the worst dogs in the armoury were subjected to that treatment (That Rifle was definitely feeling its age by 1990)

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
A carbine length L1A1 in .280" ?

Half a dozen Arrsers are now reaching for the defibrillator .
Even I'm feeling a great disturbance in the Force... now if it's in .280 can we have it selective-fire?

ugly

LE

They used the Ruger AC556, guess what calibre that was?

Awol

LE

They didn’t use the M14, they used this puppy (whatever it is).

43832D44-702E-456D-9185-1DABD0D7F53B.jpeg

Edit.... thanks @ugly.

TamH70

MIA
They didn’t use the M14, they used this puppy (whatever it is).

View attachment 484350
FFS! Does anyone read this thread? :)

It's the Mini-14, more specifically the folding stock version with extra tarty stainless steel bits bolted on. Though it may not have been select-fire. Bursts of automatic fire were simulated in post-production using audio from live firing on a range. According to IMFDB, the real gun geeks of the entertainment world, it wasn't the AC556.

More here:

ugly

LE
Tarted upto look like it

Couldn't find them.

Slime

LE
FFS! Does anyone read this thread? :)

It's the Mini-14, more specifically the folding stock version with extra tarty stainless steel bits bolted on. Though it may not have been select-fire. Bursts of automatic fire were simulated in post-production using audio from live firing on a range. According to IMFDB, the real gun geeks of the entertainment world, it wasn't the AC556.

More here:

No, it seems people aren’t reading it properly.
I mentioned a fiction programme and it got treated as though I was talking about real life ;)

Tarted upto look like it
Random stupid trivia: the flash suppressor actually contains the BFA restriction on those, and they're semiauto mini-14's. They added full auto sound effects, but you can see the actors pulling the triggers repeatedly and the muzzle flashes are not full auto.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Random stupid trivia: the flash suppressor actually contains the BFA restriction on those, and they're semiauto mini-14's. They added full auto sound effects, but you can see the actors pulling the triggers repeatedly and the muzzle flashes are not full auto.
I feel lied to. There's just nothing sacred any more.

Latest Threads