Mystery L1A1 as seen in The Wild Geese.

I've just looked up Ian Yule and this came up which may be of interest:

Someone else mentioned in that link who is now farming goats in Jordan, if it's the same person.

For the avoidance of any doubt, the FN FAL system uses a short stroke gas piston:

It is hence very easy to cut the gas piston down. DS Arms even do an 8" barrelled version:

That guy's flinch is so epical he's missing pretty large targets low at pretty close range :D

Australians in Vietnam used "tailored" versions of their SLRs instead of the best the US has to offer. Which would you choose?
1592840565192.png

ugly

LE
Australians in Vietnam used "tailored" versions of their SLRs instead of the best the US has to offer. Which would you choose?
View attachment 484161
M1? What about the M14?

Who writes this tosh?

" Frustrated troops began leaving their M-16s at home "

American troops in Vietnam commuted to work every day apparently.

No wonder they lost.

We all know about the matchstick/firing pin mod - I haven't tried it and no-one I've met face to face with has either.

Anyone on here done it?
Yup - about 400yds away from where I am now on SPTA but a lifetime away in oh, about 1977....

Under the expert tutelage of a London Jocks NCO it made responding to an ambush quite fruity along with the L4 magazines we all seemed to have acquired!

View attachment 484161
"Instead of"? Aussies used a mixture of L1A1's and M16's in Vietnam, just like the Hooligans did in various conflicts and for similar reasons :)

Slime

LE
M1? What about the M14?

Who writes this tosh?
There were units still armed with M1's when the M16 came into service. Much of the USN still had Garands in both .30 and 7.62NATO and the USMC Fleet Marine Force had some units still with M1 until 1962

The US Berlin Brigade had the Garand while USSF were using the M16 in South Vietnam in 61

There were units still armed with M1's when the M16 came into service. Much of the USN still had Garands in both .30 and 7.62NATO and the USMC Fleet Marine Force had some units still with M1 until 1962

The US Berlin Brigade had the Garand while USSF were using the M16 in South Vietnam in 61
And weren't the National Guard still using Garands and BAR's in to the seventies before going straight to M16's, bypassing the M14?

NSP

LE
Apropos, one of our [American] client reps back in 2007 out in Indonesia was a Vietnam veteran (seemed gen' - right age, right attitude, right historical references, apparently. A quiet, inoffensive, white-haired old fella, all told). He said he did his time out there during the switch-over of rifles for the infantry. Said that the M-16 was nice and light but jammed "if ya looked at it funny." When it all got a bit close-in he said he yearned to still have his M-14.

It seems that when you smack your enemy across the skull with the blunt end of an M-14 it is your enemies head that breaks, not your rifle butt.

Last edited:

ugly

LE

This we already knew and was part of the nail in the M14’s early coffin however the article was about Vietnam

Bad Smell

Clanker
It seems that when you smack your enemy across the skull with the blunt end of an M-14 it is your enemies head that breaks, not your rifle butt.
Never heard of the M-14 being used by the Australian Army during the time of the Vietnam War.

There were a number of Australian modifications used in Vietnam. See link below. I've also talked to an RM armourer who was asked to modify an SLR as seen in the picture. Described as ' f*cking uncontrollable' on full auto.

I worked alongside a Long Service guy in Aldergrove back in the 90s. He had some very interesting photos on his office wall including one of him in bandit country (70s/80s?) with a modified L1A1 similar (pistol grip attached to stock) to the one shown in this article.

I Posted a shot of a weapon that appeared in the film on the a different thread - my brief research on the subject as not cleared up it's true nature .

According to various data bases the weapon came from a UK film armoury. The actor seen using the cut down weapon is Ian Yule. Ian's Wiki page advises that he has served with the Royal Artillery, Para Regt and SAS. He had also worked with Mike Hoare and had presumably got the gig on Wild Geese through him. Hoare was the official technical adviser on the film.

The weapon in question hsa been the subject of much online discussion, with suggestions that it was a 'made up' by the UK Film Armoury that supplied the film. However, in a letter to the Firearm Blog in 2010 Ian Yule himself, suggests that he 'was asked to assess the weapon’s performance from a certain source'. However he also confirms that the barrel was an adapted version to allow the weapon to 'cycle' but without a BFA or choke. The weapons used for firing on set usually have an adapter that screws in under the flash hider. This would suggest that the cut down weapon supplied was not an actual firearm.

So, does/dd this thing exist as an experimental weapon?

**Paging the Site's Firearms Gurus

View attachment 483484

Single point sight and L4 mag?
looks a bit like a Sig

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I worked alongside a Long Service guy in Aldergrove back in the 90s. He had some very interesting photos on his office wall including one of him in bandit country (70s/80s?) with a modified L1A1 similar (pistol grip attached to stock) to the one shown in this article.
That wasn't an uncommon mod.

ugly

LE
It was a regular approved local mod in the 70’s as the IWS became available

Latest Threads