Mystery L1A1 as seen in The Wild Geese.

Recruit battle camp somewhere near Aldershot in 1984, one of the DS applied the matchstick shim when playing enemy troops. Same size round/noise as the GPMG, but at the speed of a buzzsaw scary shit. Difficulty with the match stick was that it could wear and you lost trigger control, so what was left in the mag went down the barrel.

He and a couple of others had been in the Falklands and were kind enough to fill me on on their experiences on the wrong end of the Argentinian FN full auto experience.
I'm pretty sure I heard that when 'They' played the part of OPFOR on certain exercises they would use adapted LMG mags and the auto trick. That said, I came across a load of 'Them' on exercise near Longmoor and they were all using Chinese (I Know because they told me) Type 56 so presumably it would be easier to draw these rather than bugger about with adapted L1A1s.

FI in 1983, The Int section had quite a few weapons , left behind. One was a cut down FN no gas parts and the barrel was just cut to about 5 inches.

When firing all you saw was a kin huge flash and the weapon jumped to the vertical.

We all know about the matchstick/firing pin mod - I haven't tried it and no-one I've met face to face with has either.

Anyone on here done it?
I saw a C1 ( a Candian FAL variant) fired on full-auto at the end of a range day to dispose of excess ammo. (I'd tell you how long ago but I fear it would make me cry.)

I saw a C1 ( a Candian FAL variant) fired on full-auto at the end of a range day to dispose of excess ammo. (I'd tell you how long ago but I fear it would make me cry.)
Must admit that on the Reg shooting team in 22 Sigs in 84/85. End of the training day with a few , well hundred ( well maybe a few more) rounds we used to just dispose of all of it as it was easier returning to camp with no live.

Last shoot of the day was a free for all, SLR and LMG just shooting the shite out of the range. One time as guests on a German Army range we destroyed the stairs up to the butts, wxxxers , all of us but it was fun.

An R1 in the Namibian bush. The fact that my shirt is hooked up to reveal the S+W is a bit embarrassing as I suspect it was for the photo..
I'd been out in the Fukawe for some time, before anyone mentions my barnet.

r1.jpg

An R1 in the Namibian bush. The fact that my shirt is hooked up to reveal the S+W is a bit embarrassing as I suspect it was for the photo..
I'd been out in the Fukawe for some time, before anyone mentions my barnet.

View attachment 483577
Are you sure? Flash hider looks Brit. May have been changed from the standard R1 grenade launcher type.

Never saw the lower/SLR type in SA.

Are you sure? Flash hider looks Brit. May have been changed from the standard R1 grenade launcher type.

Never saw the lower/SLR type in SA.
It was described as an R1 and the selector had S F and A. IIRC to select auto you had to push it 270 degrees.

Might have been Rhodie, although they also used the larger flash hider in the main. Depending who you spoke to, they may not even know it as an FAL. Anything with that shape is an R1 to them, as the Vzor 58 or the Type 56 would be called an AK. Selector would be specific on order, built to what is requested by the customer. Brit SLRs built under licence were deemed not to require the A (Dutchies called it the 'Afrikaans' button - they roll their Rs a lot) setting.

Think I only ever used full auto once on the range. Ammo is too heavy to waste if you've carried it for a week and are expecting trouble.

4(T)

LE
Might have been Rhodie, although they also used the larger flash hider in the main. Depending who you spoke to, they may not even know it as an FAL. Anything with that shape is an R1 to them, as the Vzor 58 or the Type 56 would be called an AK. Selector would be specific on order, built to what is requested by the customer. Brit SLRs built under licence were deemed not to require the A (Dutchies called it the 'Afrikaans' button - they roll their Rs a lot) setting.

Think I only ever used full auto once on the range. Ammo is too heavy to waste if you've carried it for a week and are expecting trouble.

Bigeye's rifle has an FN-style bayonet lug, so I'm guessing its a Belgian-built rifle. Possibly its one of the batches imported into SA before the R1 programme got going. Some of FN's factory options had a slim line flash hider that resembled the L1A1 version.

Possibly. Although the patrol guys knew what they were on about. Interestingly the section I was attached to had an ex-Koevoet and ex-SWAPO insurgents as members.
There was also an ex-RLI bloke on another patrol we came across. Quite a mixture.

The armoury had a load of weapons that had been taken from poachers including a couple of SKS and a Skorpion (which presumably had come over the border at some point) the Skorpion was used but in the main the guys were issued with the R4. I was the section Lion scarer so I had the R1!

Bigeye's rifle has an FN-style bayonet lug, so I'm guessing its a Belgian-built rifle. Possibly its one of the batches imported into SA before the R1 programme got going. Some of FN's factory options had a slim line flash hider that resembled the L1A1 version.
It may may have arrived in Namibia via Angola as many of the weapons in the armoury were captured from poachers.

Chef

LE
I've just looked up Ian Yule and this came up which may be of interest:

I've just looked up Ian Yule and this came up which may be of interest:

He's certainly had a colourful past. No mention of Para reg or others there though. Good luck to him.

Latest Threads