Mystery L1A1 as seen in The Wild Geese.

Not me. But the Bootie's comment was about the very short-barrelled version they'd created.
Would make sense for a carbine type version for ship work etc... but it would be pretty mental at full chat, as I imagine the normal one would be too.

As to the OPs original question - looks like a Frankengat made up of bits of stuff lying around pressed into service as a prop.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Would make sense for a carbine type version for ship work etc... but it would be pretty mental at full chat, as I imagine the normal one would be too.
I suppose the follow-on to that is does it need to be 7.62mm?

The better answer would be MP5, or M4 (CAR-15/Colt Commando back in the day) if you wanted a battle round.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We all know about the matchstick/firing pin mod - I haven't tried it and no-one I've met face to face with has either.

Anyone on here done it?
I’ve seen it done with blank.

mrboo

War Hero
From imdb
Snap 2020-06-19 at 18.00.28.png

Custom L1A1 Battle Carbine

Ex SAS member Tosh Donaldson played by Ian Yule used a weapon that was a chopped down L1A1 SLR that was converted to full auto fire with a special single dot reflex sight and flash hider (and 40 round 7.62x51mm magazines). The actor Ian Yule, was a former real life Mercenary in the Congo during the 1960s under the command of Major Mike Hoare. For many years, fans of the film assumed the weapon was a South African R1 Variant, but information directly from the actor reminds us that there was an arms embargo against South Africa during the 1970s (because of apartheid). This was a custom made L1A1 carbine that came from a UK Movie armory.

ugly

LE
Using a fixed firing pin means emptying the mag when the working parts went forward, not good. Using a compo matchstick to block a bit in the trigger mech however is a different story!

the FAL has a long stroke piston system which would require huge modification to operate with a shortened piston.
Assuming that the FAL gas piston is not significantly different from the SLR, then with a length of 29.5cm and an actual movement of a bit less than 2cm that's not exactly long stroke. But the piston is a bit longer than that of the varius AR15s, where a direct gas impingement is not preferred.
Long stroke would be the M1 Garand or other members/derivatives of the Garand family.
Having said that, I agree shortening the piston and still getting the weapon to work would be an interesting challenge. So much so that buying an existing shorty would be less pain and trouble.

Yule states it fired 7.62 blank and had a very high rate of fire.
Might have had the piston removed and cycled using gas vented directly against the face of the bolt. I know of a Galil/R4 modified in that manner for a movie. Massive flash and a fair bit of gas venting from the ejection port as it cycled.

No idea if the FAL will even cycle like that but if it's a short enough gas tube fully shut there might be enough force to move the carrier back, drop to unlock and complete the cycle.

4(T)

LE
Might have had the piston removed and cycled using gas vented directly against the face of the bolt. I know of a Galil/R4 modified in that manner for a movie. Massive flash and a fair bit of gas venting from the ejection port as it cycled.

No idea if the FAL will even cycle like that but if it's a short enough gas tube fully shut there might be enough force to move the carrier back, drop to unlock and complete the cycle.

I was wondering if it was even a full blowback conversion?

No gas parts, bolt locking lug ground off, barrel fitted with theatrical gas choke.

There is probably enough reciprocating mass to make it function as a closed bolt blow-back, given that they could tune both the bore choke and the ammo itself.

We all know about the matchstick/firing pin mod - I haven't tried it and no-one I've met face to face with has either.

Anyone on here done it?
The matchstick trick was demonstrated to us sprogs by an Armourer at RACTR (we had an 'enemy' patrol thus equipped). Very impressive. But not as impressive as his sudden removal from the establishment within 24 hours.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Using a fixed firing pin means emptying the mag when the working parts went forward, not good. Using a compo matchstick to block a bit in the trigger mech however is a different story!
So all the dinosaurs had to die just so you could fire THAT rifle on auto? Plus you let an innocent asteroid take the blame. B@stard.

We all know how this ends - someone finds the serial number, tracks it back to some perceived injustice inflicted on yet another group of completely innocent rioters/rebels/ cold-blooded murderers, and the whole thing becomes further proof of how evil the (racist) British Army are.

Anyone on here done it?
The R1 I was given was an semi/auto
From imdb
View attachment 483512

Custom L1A1 Battle Carbine

Ex SAS member Tosh Donaldson played by Ian Yule used a weapon that was a chopped down L1A1 SLR that was converted to full auto fire with a special single dot reflex sight and flash hider (and 40 round 7.62x51mm magazines). The actor Ian Yule, was a former real life Mercenary in the Congo during the 1960s under the command of Major Mike Hoare. For many years, fans of the film assumed the weapon was a South African R1 Variant, but information directly from the actor reminds us that there was an arms embargo against South Africa during the 1970s (because of apartheid). This was a custom made L1A1 carbine that came from a UK Movie armory.
The photo is a composite made up by a contributor to TFB.

The latter part of the statement makes no sense. The film was shot in the Transvaal therefore SADF weapons would be readily available. Furthermore the embargo would preclude the importation of weapons from the UK. Unless the end user certs. specified re-importation.

4(T)

LE
Furthermore the embargo would preclude the importation of weapons from the UK. Unless the end user certs. specified re-importation.

If these were all "de-activated" theatrical prop weapons from a UK film industry supplier, perhaps their movement wasn't restricted back then - especially if they were all going to be shipped back after filming?

If these were all "de-activated" theatrical prop weapons from a UK film industry supplier, perhaps their movement wasn't restricted back then - especially if they were all going to be shipped back after filming?
That's what I meant by the end user certificates specifying re-importation.

Anyone on here done it?
No but I have fired a FAL on full auto - bloody hard to keep down tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, possibly whilst on the throne

TamH70

MIA

giatttt

Old-Salt

Anyone on here done it?
Recruit battle camp somewhere near Aldershot in 1984, one of the DS applied the matchstick shim when playing enemy troops. Same size round/noise as the GPMG, but at the speed of a buzzsaw scary shit. Difficulty with the match stick was that it could wear and you lost trigger control, so what was left in the mag went down the barrel.

He and a couple of others had been in the Falklands and were kind enough to fill me on on their experiences on the wrong end of the Argentinian FN full auto experience.

Latest Threads