Mystery L1A1 as seen in The Wild Geese.

I Posted a shot of a weapon that appeared in the film on the a different thread - my brief research on the subject as not cleared up it's true nature .

According to various data bases the weapon came from a UK film armoury. The actor seen using the cut down weapon is Ian Yule. Ian's Wiki page advises that he has served with the Royal Artillery, Para Regt and SAS. He had also worked with Mike Hoare and had presumably got the gig on Wild Geese through him. Hoare was the official technical adviser on the film.

The weapon in question hsa been the subject of much online discussion, with suggestions that it was a 'made up' by the UK Film Armoury that supplied the film. However, in a letter to the Firearm Blog in 2010 Ian Yule himself, suggests that he 'was asked to assess the weapon’s performance from a certain source'. However he also confirms that the barrel was an adapted version to allow the weapon to 'cycle' but without a BFA or choke. The weapons used for firing on set usually have an adapter that screws in under the flash hider. This would suggest that the cut down weapon supplied was not an actual firearm.

So, does/dd this thing exist as an experimental weapon?

**Paging the Site's Firearms Gurus

slr.jpg

Single point sight and L4 mag?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought they used FNs in the film?

I thought they used FNs in the film?
There's a mix of many FAL rifles in the film. Apparently the Mercenaries use a mix of FAL 50.00 and LA1A1 models. both semi auto and full automatic.

This has come up a couple of times, and no satisfactory answer beyond information provided by Ian Yule seems to have emerged.

There was a thread about Wild Geese about five (maybe more) years back, in which Mr Yule's service record was questioned, not in a 'he's a walt' sort of way, but a 'this is really tricky to piece together' fashion. As I recall, the question was whether he'd served with 'Them', or whether his travels had seen him as a member of the Rhodesian SAS.

His first known acting role was in 1959, but he took a rather more robust approach to being a 'resting' actor than some and went off working with Mike Hoare...

Ian Yule returned to the UK from SA in 2015, almost destitute; my former next-door neighbour was one of the South African Legion bods who helped him get back here.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I Posted a shot of a weapon that appeared in the film on the a different thread - my brief research on the subject as not cleared up it's true nature .

According to various data bases the weapon came from a UK film armoury. The actor seen using the cut down weapon is Ian Yule. Ian's Wiki page advises that he has served with the Royal Artillery, Para Regt and SAS. He had also worked with Mike Hoare and had presumably got the gig on Wild Geese through him. Hoare was the official technical adviser on the film.

The weapon in question hsa been the subject of much online discussion, with suggestions that it was a 'made up' by the UK Film Armoury that supplied the film. However, in a letter to the Firearm Blog in 2010 Ian Yule himself, suggests that he 'was asked to assess the weapon’s performance from a certain source'. However he also confirms that the barrel was an adapted version to allow the weapon to 'cycle' but without a BFA or choke. The weapons used for firing on set usually have an adapter that screws in under the flash hider. This would suggest that the cut down weapon supplied was not an actual firearm.

**Paging the Site's Firearms Gurus

View attachment 483484

Single point sight and L4 mag?
There were a number of Australian modifications used in Vietnam. See link below. I've also talked to an RM armourer who was asked to modify an SLR as seen in the picture. Described as ' f*cking uncontrollable' on full auto.

There were a number of Australian modifications used in Vietnam. See link below. I've also talked to an RM armourer who was asked to modify an SLR as seen in the picture. Described as ' f*cking uncontrollable' on full auto.

I had an R1 in Namibia which I rarely fired as it was mainly for show. When I did have a go on fully automatic I took apart a termite hill about 10 metres behind what I was actually aiming at. Luckily the Namib APU blokes thought I was aiming at the termites.

4(T)

LE

I doubt it. There are some fairly hefty tomes on British L1A1s (eg Collector Grade Publications - Bookshelf #4 - Gun Books - FAL Rifle, Black Rifle M16 ) and they do not mention any experimental models. Nor, AFAIK, is there such a prototype in either the Warminster (DInf) or Leeds (ex Pattern Room) collections.

Common unofficial military and civvie mods were a shortened barrel and/or forward pistol grips (Aus & Rhodesia), and bits of Para FAL bodged onto L1A1s to make "Para L1A1".

However, I don't think anyone attempted to shorten the actual gas system - as indicated in the Wild Geese photo. Although a similar chop job does appear in an Aus Viet Nam photo, its not clear if that is a functioning weapon - the FAL has a long stroke piston system which would require huge modification to operate with a shortened piston.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I had an R1 in Namibia which I rarely fired as it was mainly for show. When I did have a go on fully automatic I took apart a termite hill about 10 metres behind what I was actually aiming at. Luckily the Namib APU blokes thought I was aiming at the termites.
I think realistically the only ones worth using on full auto at any further than very short range were the LMG versions with the heavier barrel and bipod.

This has come up a couple of times, and no satisfactory answer beyond information provided by Ian Yule seems to have emerged.

There was a thread about Wild Geese about five (maybe more) years back, in which Mr Yule's service record was questioned, not in a 'he's a walt' sort of way, but a 'this is really tricky to piece together' fashion. As I recall, the question was whether he'd served with 'Them', or whether his travels had seen him as a member of the Rhodesian SAS.

His first known acting role was in 1959, but he took a rather more robust approach to being a 'resting' actor than some and went off working with Mike Hoare...

Ian Yule returned to the UK from SA in 2015, almost destitute; my former next-door neighbour was one of the South African Legion bods who helped him get back here.
His beret shape is more RCT/RA style is it not? Presumably it would be easy to check on his connection with Hereford etc. Not that I care about his past: my interest is in the adapted weapon seen in the film. The answer would be to track down to the Armourers that worked on the film. Unfortunately IMDb don't list them.

It was made for the film from a real L1A1 but didn't actually work or had no gas parts is what I heard.
Yule states it fired 7.62 blank and had a very high rate of fire.

His beret shape is more RCT/RA style is it not? Presumably it would be easy to check on his connection with Hereford etc. Not that I care about his past: my interest is in the adapted weapon seen in the film. The answer would be to track down to the Armourers that worked on the film. Unfortunately IMDb don't list them.
He was RHA at some point in his career.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Could also be Signals or tanks on that basis.

Latest Threads