Mystery Family Photo

I’ve been thinking about the age. He looks very young and yet he’s a Corporal. That leads me to think he‘s probably 25 or thereabouts. Would that be a reasonable assumption for that time?

Oh, yes - very much so.

For every photo of a grizzled Pte, you'll trip over another of a fresh-faced Cpl or Sgt from that era.

We have a possible name, Sidney Tufnell, who would be the right age bracket but we’ve got no evidence of him joining the Army so far.

As you say, a cursory search has not turned up anything for that name.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Some theories ...

The buttons may not be black, just appear so in sharp contrast to the tropical uniform.
Odds are if he has the QSA Medal, he would perhaps have the KSA Medal as well. So I would guess that his medal is the Indian GSM. Which leads to my next point.
He may be part of a technical unit, Royal Engineers or Royal Artillery. Which may explain the small brass shoulder titles. Did regiments still wear numerical shoulder titles after the Cardwell Reforms of 1880s?

. . . Odds are if he has the QSA Medal, he would perhaps have the KSA Medal as well. So I would guess that his medal is the Indian GSM. Which leads to my next point. . . .

Not necessarily.

The criteria for the award of the KSA was a touch convoluted:

So much so that, if the 18 months service mark wasn't met but other criteria were, the KSA clasps were awarded but appeared on the QSA.

Good point.

I have put the three medals together.

View attachment 662687

To be honest I don't think that helps either of us!
I reckon that's Victoria:
Clipboard01.jpg

All we know for sure so far is the studio that took the photograph opened in 1905, so the photo must be after that.

Can someone who knows about the uniforms answer me this. The tunic has no pockets or belt loops so presumably is either a mess kit or ceromonial. The pith helmet has no cap badge or other markings.

Could he be a steward/orderly or batman?

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
The helmet is the 1902 pattern, so that also dates the photograph.
I believe the white uniform was a tropical walking out kit rather than anything ceremonial.

Another view of it ...
1652458081789.png

Nato12345

Old-Salt
All we know for sure so far is the studio that took the photograph opened in 1905, so the photo must be after that.

Can someone who knows about the uniforms answer me this. The tunic has no pockets or belt loops so presumably is either a mess kit or ceromonial. The pith helmet has no cap badge or other markings.

Could he be a steward/orderly or batman?

No, Batman is usually seen with Robin