Mystery Beast eating geese in the River Lea

The Scum reporting is crap again Linky but it appears that something is snaffling the geese on the Lea, personally it is either a catfish or eastern Europeans snorkelling.

Of the options, my money's on Tom Daley.

Johnny Foreigner will be doing it...free food...

Rodney2q

I have seen birds taken off the Lea when I used to Pike fish it years and years ago..nothing new at all.

A 20 pound Pike will take a duck without issue, a 30 could have a go at a goose (how does the sun know the goose weighed 16lb?)

There are Wels catfish in the Lea, with UK record being over 100 pounds from a water in Essex, and they have been caught in the Thames, so its not impossible for it to be a Wels...but a fucking crocodile...get real!!!

Having fallen into the Lea at Cheshunt as a sprog, i can confirm the geese are not being eaten, they are dissolving from the chemical soup it has now become.

I to have spent many an hour fishing the Lea in years gone by. Even back then i was convinced that there was a crocopotomus lurking in the dark murky waters.

I aggree with 2/51 - as a predator fisherman I can confirm that a 30lb pike could easily demolish a goose, they are not afraid of 90kg human beigs as my left arm will testify!

I have seen ducks disapear under the water 20 yards in front of me with barely a ripple.

MB

I can see a 30lb pike taking a small gosling, but a fully grown Canada Goose? I think that will be more in the region of a 60+ Wels to be honest. The rest is a load of crap, crocs and pythons\anacondas couldn't survive in our climate and although there are plenty of crayfish I haven't seen any terrapins in the Lea.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Count the number of boroughs between China Basin and Ware with a high proportion of Eastern European gastarbeiten, then subdivide by the number of days left till Christmas Eve (when for a large chunl of MittelEuropa , roast goose is the dish of choice, unless they can get a nice carp) ...yawn....

T

trowel

I can see a 30lb pike taking a small gosling, but a fully grown Canada Goose? I think that will be more in the region of a 60+ Wels to be honest. The rest is a load of crap, crocs and pythons\anacondas couldn't survive in our climate and although there are plenty of crayfish I haven't seen any terrapins in the Lea.
Used to live close to the Lea and I know fishermen who claim to have seen terrapins the size of dustbin lids. As for the geese, Goatman has hit the nail on the head . The East Europeans have been stealing geese for several years now.

Used to live close to the Lea and I know fishermen who claim to have seen terrapins the size of dustbin lids. As for the geese, Goatman has hit the nail on the head . The East Europeans have been stealing geese for several years now.
I regularly go for a walk along the Lea with Mrs D57 and the grandson - I've seen a small terrapin at Waltham Abbey and a larger one at Dobbs Weir which was about the size of a small plate. My money would be the Ostvolk - if it ain't nailed down they'll nick it - I work for BT and copper cable theft is fast becoming a big problem.

i can confirm the geese are not being eaten, they are dissolving from the chemical soup it has now become.
Think you right there. The Lee past Tottenham is dead, with the shit that is pumped into the river. Mind you my money is on a Mutant Crayfish (Orconectes Virilis) which now has been found in the river.

Dave