Myanmar, is it just too complex for some to understand?

Not everyone likes Muslims or their beliefs. Some express their feeling a bit more robustly than others.

Actually it would seem some Muslims don’t like other Muslims, and then it gets really messy.

China proposed three-phase plan for Rohingya issue
Looks like China is stepping up to the plate with a three phase plan apparently supported by both Bangladesh and Myanmar. Ceasefire, bilateral dialogue and then seek a long term solution:
A ceasefire should be followed by bilateral dialogue to find a workable solution, the ministry website reported late on Sunday. The third and final phase should be to work toward a long-term solution.

Wang said a ceasefire was basically in place already, and the key now was to prevent a flare-up. He hoped the two sides could soon sign and implement an agreement already reached on repatriation.

The international community and the United Nations Security Council should give encouragement and support to both countries “to create the necessary conditions and a good environment”, it quoted Wang as saying at a joint press conference with Aung San Suu Kyi, Myanmar’s de facto leader.

Rohingya rhetoric seems to being ramped up on BBC new bulletins. Thanks to some of the learned members who have contributed to this thread its clearly a two sided story while that's very much missing on the news. Is this some sort of run up to a Christmas single to be release by somebody? The UN is playing the genocide card and a papal visit was supposed to call for peace to all. At least somebody had the sense to tell his Popeness to tone down the language.

It's a sh!thole comparable with e.g. "Democratic" Republic of Congo; Federal Rupublic of Nigeria and a dozen other banana republics.

Rich in natural wealth, screwed over by corruption including a terminally corrupt military.

Close thread.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nah, don't do that.....Burma gets little enough attention over here as it is.

I hope there's a JCB rep in Yangon sometime soon. I expect they cover Burma from somewhere much more friendly, like Bangkok.

We ship shedloads of the damn things to everywhere else in the Far East, why not Burma?

British machinery firm JCB has taken legal action against three unnamed Far Eastern manufacturers for product copying and patent infringements.

The action was taken when the Bauma show began last week and the company successfully applied for court orders in Germany resulting in preliminary injunctions being served against manufacturers who were exhibiting the infringing machines at the show

As a result, the machines had to be either removed from the show and impounded or concealed from view.

Tim Burnhope, JCB's Group Managing Director of Product Development and Commercial Operations, said: "JCB will not tolerate blatant copying of its machines or infringement of internationally-recognised patents and in every instance will act quickly and decisively to stamp out such unfair practices.

And any self-respecting drone survey company could make a healthy living .

It's a sh!thole comparable with e.g. "Democratic" Republic of Congo; Federal Rupublic of Nigeria and a dozen other banana republics.
Banana Republics are a US invention. Initially, Bananas were a cheap food source for local workers south of the border building the railways of US railroad engineer, Henry Meiggs. United Fruit Company took over the plantations and they spread through central America with bribery, regime change, and the USMC to ensure profitable returns for the company, if not the host nation.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Indeed - which is where Bob Dole's family got their money :)

We get a lot of Myanmar citizens here in Chieng Mai where I live.
The have a reputation as good, hard, honest workers and all that I have met come across as decent folk.
Many are 'Refugees' of one sort or another from the Excesses of the Myanmar Government.
I know people who's families where 'Wiped' out by the military and from what I am told, the recruitment system is like that of Guatemala of my Belize days, the recruiters turn up and any likely lads they fancy are conscripted on the spot, no choice and your in until invalided out or killed in combat.
Many are Christian their ancestors having been converted by mainly US missionaries back in the 19 Century.
Rough old country Myanmar, massive corruption everything and one has it's price and Ang San is like her father a Politician, read Bill Slim's comments on him.
Until a proper civilian government is in power it will remain a backwater, dominated by China who invest and take as they want.

john

We get a lot of Myanmar citizens here in Chieng Mai where I live.
The have a reputation as good, hard, honest workers and all that I have met come across as decent folk.
Many are 'Refugees' of one sort or another from the Excesses of the Myanmar Government.
I know people who's families where 'Wiped' out by the military and from what I am told, the recruitment system is like that of Guatemala of my Belize days, the recruiters turn up and any likely lads they fancy are conscripted on the spot, no choice and your in until invalided out or killed in combat.
Many are Christian their ancestors having been converted by mainly US missionaries back in the 19 Century.
Rough old country Myanmar, massive corruption everything and one has it's price and Ang San is like her father a Politician, read Bill Slim's comments on him.
Until a proper civilian government is in power it will remain a backwater, dominated by China who invest and take as they want.

john
The Myanmar folk are common throughout western Thailand I think John. There is a place near us whose official name (Pala U) is not even Thai. A place we eat at regularly has a Myanmarese waiter and waitress who are (I think) Mon. My (Thai) wife openly admits that they are better workers than Thais.