ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Myanmar, is it just too complex for some to understand?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Slime, Sep 13, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I haven't read all the thread so apologies if this point has been made but it's a bit embarrassing for the lefties as Nobel Peace Prize winner and human rights activist Aung San Suu Kyi is in charge of the ethnic cleansing. They're probably hoping it will all go away if they say nothing.

2. You need two sides to have a fight you know.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. But only one to start it...

• Like Like x 2
  4. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

I seem to remember having read only one quote where Aung San Suu Kyi was supposed to have said there is not really a problem and it was the fault of others.

Does that mean she is not really in charge, or is that the usual response of the left wing brigade when confronted with problems.

• Like Like x 1
  5. She's probably in charge but not in control. That doesn't excuse her failure to speak out on the issue. Whatever her status,she is Head of State and gets to carry the can.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Perhaps we can give them firm guidance on the sucessful integration of muslims into none muslim societies. It's been a good few hours now since the last attack here after all.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Burma/Myanmar has always been a confusing place.

The Lady's much revered father, Bogyoke Aung San, went to Japan during the Occupation of Burma for military training. He was landed back in Burma by Japanese submarine in 1945.

His Burmese Nationalists only came over to the side of the former colonial power ( that'll be us then) late 45.

Meanwhile a good number of the non-Burman ethnic groups dotted around the periphery of Burma's central plain,notably the Shan and Karen, but also the Kachins and Nagaland stayed loyal to Britain and fought the Imperial Japanese Army.

Their reward post 1945 was to be marginalised by Aung San Suu Kyi's father and subsequently attacked and warred upon ceaselessly by his successors , especially after General Ne Win's military coup of 1962.

Suu Kyi is a bird in a gilded cage...the Army still run anything that matters and can turn a profit.

To my utter lack of surprise, I have heard absolutely nothing on the BBC coverage about the Shan,Karen or Kachin minorities.

Guess why? They ain't followers of the Religion of Peace...the Karen in particular being Christian / animists .

Thailand still hosts 140,000 Karen refugees from the generals in Myanmar.
    Karen Refugees - where are they and why are they refugees?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. She needs to be publicly reminded that "The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing" and then have her Nobel prize immediately revoked.

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

This dit explains a bit about the complexities of Arakan (Rakhine) state.

Arakanese

As most Arrsers will appreciate,the whole thing is a tad more tangled than it might present.

10. Agree - but at the risk of being accused of splitting hairs, Nagaland is/was in India, albeit on the border with Burma. But they did remain loyal to Britain.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Indeed....the story of Naga resistance to the Japanese and their involvement with V Force is well worth a read.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Leaders criticise Suu Kyi over Rohingya

The BBC guy on yesterday's news item (Jonathan Head ? ) was only ever going to get dignified silence in response to his faux "question"
    << Miss Suu Kyi have you given up taking an interest in human rights? >>

Dildo.

The view from Saw Nia Kyat in downtown Rangoon:

Also BBC...World Service rep...
    Speak to those on the street about what is happening in Rakhine state and you will not hear the word "Rohingya".

The minority is described as "Bengalis", reflecting a mainstream perception that members of the Rohingya group are foreigners - immigrants from Bangladesh, with different culture and language.

What is seen by many internationally as a human rights issue is viewed in Myanmar as one of national sovereignty, and there is widespread support for military operations in northern Rakhine.

Newspapers carry the government's account, which is that the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (Arsa) attacked Burmese security forces on 25 August.

In response, the army, also known as Tatmadaw, launched military operations in the conflict-torn Maungdaw region in Rakhine.

'Long-held animosity'
    Most Burmese view international media coverage as one-sided, putting too much emphasis on the Rohingya, and failing to adequately cover the plight of others in Rakhine who have fled violence in their villages.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Quite. Similar to the journo pack shouting out snarky "When did you stop beating your wife?" - style questions to politicians in Downing Street; only done for the self aggrandisement of the shouter as far as I can see, as no sane person would stop to answer their claptrap.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I was going to post some witty reply but realised that I don't have enough wax crayons, so here is my contribution to this post;

In my opinion and experience all muslims are untrustworthy in their dealings with non muslims.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2