Myanmar, is it just too complex for some to understand?

Not everyone likes Muslims or their beliefs. Some express their feeling a bit more robustly than others.

Actually it would seem some Muslims don’t like other Muslims, and then it gets really messy.

China proposed three-phase plan for Rohingya issue
Looks like China is stepping up to the plate with a three phase plan apparently supported by both Bangladesh and Myanmar. Ceasefire, bilateral dialogue and then seek a long term solution:
A ceasefire should be followed by bilateral dialogue to find a workable solution, the ministry website reported late on Sunday. The third and final phase should be to work toward a long-term solution.

Wang said a ceasefire was basically in place already, and the key now was to prevent a flare-up. He hoped the two sides could soon sign and implement an agreement already reached on repatriation.

The international community and the United Nations Security Council should give encouragement and support to both countries “to create the necessary conditions and a good environment”, it quoted Wang as saying at a joint press conference with Aung San Suu Kyi, Myanmar’s de facto leader.

Rohingya rhetoric seems to being ramped up on BBC new bulletins. Thanks to some of the learned members who have contributed to this thread its clearly a two sided story while that's very much missing on the news. Is this some sort of run up to a Christmas single to be release by somebody? The UN is playing the genocide card and a papal visit was supposed to call for peace to all. At least somebody had the sense to tell his Popeness to tone down the language.

It's a sh!thole comparable with e.g. "Democratic" Republic of Congo; Federal Rupublic of Nigeria and a dozen other banana republics.

Rich in natural wealth, screwed over by corruption including a terminally corrupt military.

Close thread.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nah, don't do that.....Burma gets little enough attention over here as it is.

I hope there's a JCB rep in Yangon sometime soon. I expect they cover Burma from somewhere much more friendly, like Bangkok.

We ship shedloads of the damn things to everywhere else in the Far East, why not Burma?

British machinery firm JCB has taken legal action against three unnamed Far Eastern manufacturers for product copying and patent infringements.

The action was taken when the Bauma show began last week and the company successfully applied for court orders in Germany resulting in preliminary injunctions being served against manufacturers who were exhibiting the infringing machines at the show

As a result, the machines had to be either removed from the show and impounded or concealed from view.

Tim Burnhope, JCB's Group Managing Director of Product Development and Commercial Operations, said: "JCB will not tolerate blatant copying of its machines or infringement of internationally-recognised patents and in every instance will act quickly and decisively to stamp out such unfair practices.

And any self-respecting drone survey company could make a healthy living .

It's a sh!thole comparable with e.g. "Democratic" Republic of Congo; Federal Rupublic of Nigeria and a dozen other banana republics.
Banana Republics are a US invention. Initially, Bananas were a cheap food source for local workers south of the border building the railways of US railroad engineer, Henry Meiggs. United Fruit Company took over the plantations and they spread through central America with bribery, regime change, and the USMC to ensure profitable returns for the company, if not the host nation.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Indeed - which is where Bob Dole's family got their money :)

We get a lot of Myanmar citizens here in Chieng Mai where I live.
The have a reputation as good, hard, honest workers and all that I have met come across as decent folk.
Many are 'Refugees' of one sort or another from the Excesses of the Myanmar Government.
I know people who's families where 'Wiped' out by the military and from what I am told, the recruitment system is like that of Guatemala of my Belize days, the recruiters turn up and any likely lads they fancy are conscripted on the spot, no choice and your in until invalided out or killed in combat.
Many are Christian their ancestors having been converted by mainly US missionaries back in the 19 Century.
Rough old country Myanmar, massive corruption everything and one has it's price and Ang San is like her father a Politician, read Bill Slim's comments on him.
Until a proper civilian government is in power it will remain a backwater, dominated by China who invest and take as they want.

john

We get a lot of Myanmar citizens here in Chieng Mai where I live.
The have a reputation as good, hard, honest workers and all that I have met come across as decent folk.
Many are 'Refugees' of one sort or another from the Excesses of the Myanmar Government.
I know people who's families where 'Wiped' out by the military and from what I am told, the recruitment system is like that of Guatemala of my Belize days, the recruiters turn up and any likely lads they fancy are conscripted on the spot, no choice and your in until invalided out or killed in combat.
Many are Christian their ancestors having been converted by mainly US missionaries back in the 19 Century.
Rough old country Myanmar, massive corruption everything and one has it's price and Ang San is like her father a Politician, read Bill Slim's comments on him.
Until a proper civilian government is in power it will remain a backwater, dominated by China who invest and take as they want.

john
The Myanmar folk are common throughout western Thailand I think John. There is a place near us whose official name (Pala U) is not even Thai. A place we eat at regularly has a Myanmarese waiter and waitress who are (I think) Mon. My (Thai) wife openly admits that they are better workers than Thais.

The just released United Nations report on the genocide of the Rohinga in Myanmar doesn’t look good for the sainted Aung San Suu Kyi and her Generals.
I wonder if she will ever be feted by our Parliamentarians again anytime soon?
Time to strip her of the Nobel Peace Prize in my humble opinion.

The NPP isn't worth the sweat off a Thai hooker's balls. It's been devalued time and again due to the right on fuckwittery among the committee deciding who gets it.

Facebook removes pages of top Myanmar military official, others
I was going to do the glib ‘that’ll show ‘em’ piece, but apparently, “Facebook has been a useful instrument for those seeking to spread hate, in a context where for most users Facebook is the Internet,”
Facebook’s action means an essential blackout of the military’s main channel of public communication, with pages followed by millions of people in a country where the social media giant is virtually synonymous with the internet.
20 individuals including Snr Gen Min Aung Hlaing and the military’s Myawady tv network:
“Specifically, we are banning 20 Burmese individuals and organizations from Facebook — including Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, commander-in-chief of the armed forces, and the military’s Myawady television network,” Facebook said in a blog post.

"We're removing a total of 18 Facebook accounts, one Instagram account and 52 Facebook Pages, followed by almost 12 million people," the Menlo Park, California-based company added. bit.ly/2PHwRZy

It is the first time Facebook has imposed such a ban on a country’s military or political leaders, the company later said it response to a query from Reuters.
FaceAche’s statement on the removal:
Removing Myanmar Military Officials From Facebook | Facebook Newsroom

Reuters report on Facebook failing to take action: Why Facebook is losing the war on hate speech in Myanmar

I doubt the ‘war crimes’ report by the UN will go anywhere as the P5 have vetoes

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ah, but it is our fault.

AIUI, from a R4 interview, the Buddhists don't like our Muzzie mates because they supported the British forces fighting against the Japanese in WW2, whereas they sided with the Nips

There's obviously centuries of distrust, but the modern stuff stems from the 40's, ergo it's out fault.

The activists are probably still searching Wiki for a link to get frothy about

They may also be confused that Saint Suu Kyi isn't speaking out over the military she doesn't have control of.
As one commentator said and I paraphrase, "First and foremost she's a politician and whatever she does or says, it's always aimed at getting herself re-elected"

That's sadly a bit too simplistic.

Suu Kyi's Father was Aung San, regarded as the founding father of post imperial Burma. He was anti-British and went to Japan for training, later being re-inserted by submarine.

Aung San - Wikipedia

Whilst Aung San was in Japan, the Blue Print for a Free Burma, which has been widely but mistakenly attributed to him, was drafted.[7] In February 1941, Aung San returned to Burma, with an offer of arms and financial support from the Fumimaro Konoe government of Japan. He returned briefly to Japan to receive more military training, along with the first batch of young revolutionaries who came to be known as the Thirty Comrades.[3] On 26 December 1941, with the help of the Minami Kikan, a secret intelligence unit that was formed to close the Burma Road and to support a national uprising and that was headed by Suzuki Keiji, he founded the Burma Independence Army (BIA) in Bangkok, Thailand.[3] It was aligned with Japan for most of World War II.[3]

The capital of Burma, Rangoon (also known as Yangon), fell to the Japanese in March 1942 (as part of the Burma Campaign). The BIA formed an administration for the country under Thakin Tun Oke that operated in parallel with the Japanese military administration until the Japanese disbanded it. In July, the disbanded BIA was re-formed as the Burma Defense Army (BDA). Aung San was made a colonel and put in charge of the force.[4] He was later invited to Japan, and was presented with the Order of the Rising Sun by Emperor Hirohito.[4]

Recognising that the tide was turning against Japan he threw his lot in with the British and Commonwealth troops who were by then steadily advancing on Rangoon.

As William Slim, 1st Viscount Slim put it:

It was not long before Aung San found that what he meant by independence had little relation to what the Japanese were prepared to give—that he had exchanged an old master for an infinitely more tyrannical new one. As one of his leading followers once said to me, "If the British sucked our blood, the Japanese ground our bones!" He became more and more disillusioned with the Japanese, and early in 1943 we got news from Seagrim, a most gallant officer who had remained in the Karen Hills at the ultimate cost of his life, that Aung San's feelings were changing. On 1 August 1944 he was bold enough to speak publicly with contempt of the Japanese brand of independence, and it was clear that, if they did not soon liquidate him, he might prove useful to us. ... At our first interview, Aung San began to take rather a high hand. ... I pointed out that he was in no position to take the line he had. I did not need his forces; I was destroying the Japanese quite nicely without their help, and could continue to do so. I would accept his help and that of his army only on the clear understanding that it implied no recognition of any provisional government. ... The British Government had announced its intention to grant self-government to Burma within the British Commonwealth, and we had better limit our discussion to the best method of throwing the Japanese out of the country as the next step toward self-government.[8]
Aung San made plans to organize an uprising in Burma and made contact with the British authorities in India, in cooperation with the Communist leaders Thakin Than Tun and Thakin Soe. On 27 March 1945, he led the BNA in a revolt against the Japanese occupiers and helped the Allies defeat the Japanese.[3] 27 March came to be commemorated as Resistance Day, until the military regime renamed it "Tatmadaw (Armed Forces) Day".

After being appointed Burma's first post war President, he was assassinated six months before independence.

During the bitch-fest that followed a number of the ethnic states around the edges of Burma fought wars of independence against the Burmese state,including the Shan, Kachin and Karen peoples. All of these groups had remained loyal to the British during the Japanese occupation. Major Seagrim, mentioned in the extract above, was a stay behind British officer working with the Karen.

Awarded the George Cross for most conspicuous gallantry in carrying out hazardous work in a very brave manner. Major Seagrim was the leader of a party which included two other British and one Karen officer working in the Karen Hills of Burma. By the end of 1943 the Japanese had learned of this party who then commenced a campaign of arrests and torture to determine their whereabouts. In February 1944 the other two British officers were ambushed and killed but Major Seagrim and the Karen officer escaped. The Japanese then arrested 270 Karens and tortured and killed many of them but still they continued to support Major Seagrim. To end further suffering to the Karens, Seagrim surrendered himself to the Japanese on 15th March 1944. He was taken to Rangoon and together with eight others he was sentenced to death. He pleaded that the others were following his orders and as such they should be spared, but they were determined to die with him and were all executed.

— London Gazette

More here

Internal conflict in Myanmar - Wikipedia

Others: Dave Everett was a member of the Australian Special Air Service Regiment before leaving in 1986 and joining the Karen National Liberation Army (KNLA) as a mercenary. Everett fought alongside the KNLA under the alias "Steve" and trained insurgents, helping them improve their marksmanship and teaching them how to use claymore anti-personnel mines. In order to fund his time with the KNLA, Everett perpetrated several robberies in Australia with the help of accomplices and took piloting lessons so he could smuggle weapons into Myanmar. Everett returned to Australia a year later in 1987.[Videos 1]

Former members of the British green berets, French Foreign Legion, and the Russian Spetsnaz were also reportedly fighting alongside insurgents as recently as 2012.[19]

Last edited:
That's sadly a bit too simplistic.

Suu Kyi's Father was Aung San, regarded as the founding father of post imperial Burma. He was anti-British and went to Japan for training, later being re-inserted by submarine.

Aung San - Wikipedia

Whilst Aung San was in Japan, the Blue Print for a Free Burma, which has been widely but mistakenly attributed to him, was drafted.[7] In February 1941, Aung San returned to Burma, with an offer of arms and financial support from the Fumimaro Konoe government of Japan. He returned briefly to Japan to receive more military training, along with the first batch of young revolutionaries who came to be known as the Thirty Comrades.[3] On 26 December 1941, with the help of the Minami Kikan, a secret intelligence unit that was formed to close the Burma Road and to support a national uprising and that was headed by Suzuki Keiji, he founded the Burma Independence Army (BIA) in Bangkok, Thailand.[3] It was aligned with Japan for most of World War II.[3]

The capital of Burma, Rangoon (also known as Yangon), fell to the Japanese in March 1942 (as part of the Burma Campaign). The BIA formed an administration for the country under Thakin Tun Oke that operated in parallel with the Japanese military administration until the Japanese disbanded it. In July, the disbanded BIA was re-formed as the Burma Defense Army (BDA). Aung San was made a colonel and put in charge of the force.[4] He was later invited to Japan, and was presented with the Order of the Rising Sun by Emperor Hirohito.[4]

Recognising that the tide was turning against Japan he threw his lot in with the British and Commonwealth troops who were by then steadily advancing on Rangoon.

As William Slim, 1st Viscount Slim put it:

It was not long before Aung San found that what he meant by independence had little relation to what the Japanese were prepared to give—that he had exchanged an old master for an infinitely more tyrannical new one. As one of his leading followers once said to me, "If the British sucked our blood, the Japanese ground our bones!" He became more and more disillusioned with the Japanese, and early in 1943 we got news from Seagrim, a most gallant officer who had remained in the Karen Hills at the ultimate cost of his life, that Aung San's feelings were changing. On 1 August 1944 he was bold enough to speak publicly with contempt of the Japanese brand of independence, and it was clear that, if they did not soon liquidate him, he might prove useful to us. ... At our first interview, Aung San began to take rather a high hand. ... I pointed out that he was in no position to take the line he had. I did not need his forces; I was destroying the Japanese quite nicely without their help, and could continue to do so. I would accept his help and that of his army only on the clear understanding that it implied no recognition of any provisional government. ... The British Government had announced its intention to grant self-government to Burma within the British Commonwealth, and we had better limit our discussion to the best method of throwing the Japanese out of the country as the next step toward self-government.[8]
Aung San made plans to organize an uprising in Burma and made contact with the British authorities in India, in cooperation with the Communist leaders Thakin Than Tun and Thakin Soe. On 27 March 1945, he led the BNA in a revolt against the Japanese occupiers and helped the Allies defeat the Japanese.[3] 27 March came to be commemorated as Resistance Day, until the military regime renamed it "Tatmadaw (Armed Forces) Day".

After being appointed Burma's first post war President, he was assassinated six months before independence.

During the bitch-fest that followed a number of the ethnic states around the edges of Burma fought wars of independence against the Burmese state,including the Shan, Kachin and Karen peoples. All of these groups had remained loyal to the British during the Japanese occupation. Major Seagrim, mentioned in the extract above, was a stay behind British officer working with the Karen.

More here

Internal conflict in Myanmar - Wikipedia

Others: Dave Everett was a member of the Australian Special Air Service Regiment before leaving in 1986 and joining the Karen National Liberation Army (KNLA) as a mercenary. Everett fought alongside the KNLA under the alias "Steve" and trained insurgents, helping them improve their marksmanship and teaching them how to use claymore anti-personnel mines. In order to fund his time with the KNLA, Everett perpetrated several robberies in Australia with the help of accomplices and took piloting lessons so he could smuggle weapons into Myanmar. Everett returned to Australia a year later in 1987.[Videos 1]

Former members of the British green berets, French Foreign Legion, and the Russian Spetsnaz were also reportedly fighting alongside insurgents as recently as 2012.[19]
Excellent post. An interesting fact: Aung San is often pictured in a British Warm coat and SD cap. When invited to London in 45/46 (possibly for the victory celebrations) the only 'smart' clothes he possessed was his Japanese uniform. Someone said, "well we can't have him turning up in those".

The NPP isn't worth the sweat off a Thai hooker's balls. It's been devalued time and again due to the right on fuckwittery among the committee deciding who gets it.
I think that you need to give some thought to your Thai hooker selection process.