Myanmar, is it just too complex for some to understand?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't you worry, some liberal lefty coloured (different shades of brown are available) feminist anti-fascist vegan LGBTQ disabled mong SJW will be along to explain exactly whose fault it really is.
You mean the British even though you are too polite to say so.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
What makes it a different case is that our fluffier types have spent years telling themselves that Buddhists are religious hippies and can't get their heads around them having their share of utter shits same as any other group of humanity.
Their monks used to go like a bomb on a gallon of petrol.

Surely if a refugees country becomes safe, then they move back, not sit in camps and expect handouts forever
Are you talking about Lao or Myanmar?

If it's Lao, the problem is that during the 3-sided Lao war of the 1960s-1970s, the Hmong backed the wrong horse (i.e. the Americans). Many of them were taken to the US (Minnesota in particular) but many fled to NE Thailand (which actually used to be Lao before). Since then the communist government have been waging quite a nasty counter-insurgency programme against the Hmong in particular, but are also trying to apply cultural homogeneity across ALL of the hill tribes. Schools only in Lao language, medical support only down in the lowlands, etc. Not a particularly friendly (or indeed peaceful) place for the Hmong to return to. What's more, the local population in Issan (the bit of Thailand they live in) are quite sympathetic as many of them also had to feck off from Lao by swimming the Mekong. There's quite a cultural divide between the rural populations of Thailand and the bourgeoisie of Bangkok, but that's a thread drift off a thread drift.

Lao people are wonderful and it was/is a great place to work. Apart from the government. Many of whom are the last doddery survivors of the Pathet Lao communist guerrilla movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ugly

LE

ugly

LE
Gives the ragheads something to get steamed up about.
Good luck with that, they used full auto on striking miners from their own tribes. Hmm, count down has it started yet?

If it's Lao, the problem is that during the 3-sided Lao war of the 1960s-1970s, the Hmong backed the wrong horse (i.e. the Americans). Many of them were taken to the US (Minnesota in particular) but many fled to NE Thailand (which actually used to be Lao before). Since then the communist government have been waging quite a nasty counter-insurgency programme against the Hmong in particular, but are also trying to apply cultural homogeneity across ALL of the hill tribes. Schools only in Lao language, medical support only down in the lowlands, etc. Not a particularly friendly (or indeed peaceful) place for the Hmong to return to. What's more, the local population in Issan (the bit of Thailand they live in) are quite sympathetic as many of them also had to feck off from Lao by swimming the Mekong. There's quite a cultural divide between the rural populations of Thailand and the bourgeoisie of Bangkok, but that's a thread drift off a thread drift.

Lao people are wonderful and it was/is a great place to work. Apart from the government. Many of whom are the last doddery survivors of the Pathet Lao communist guerrilla movement.

Dead right on all counts. In fact the ISAN region (where you and I met up a few years ago along with some sandy coloured people) is actually classified as a "not very safe area", even now. And apropos of nothing I shagged a Hmong bird when I lived in Laos - she was a cook in a restaurant - and very nice she was too.

Living in a remote area of central Laos was interesting. Very occasionally I'd pass a burned out car along the road from Lak Sao to Vientiane, usually in the mountains. The Hmong had been at it again. The next day would see PDR Laos military helicopters scouring the mountains for the culprits. Still, unlike the Royal Air Force the PDR Laos helicopters actually used to be employed for something other than jollies.

Gives the ragheads something to get steamed up about.

True dat.
Most of the sad ******* couldn't find Myanmar on a map, but, they go batshit anyways.
Go batshit? They seem to be permanently set at batshit. Worked in the middle east of and on in the 80s. And a common trait I noticed in all sects was to be arrogant and cruel when in the ascendancy. But the moment they were on the back foot this pathetic fawning and special pleading would start.

Go batshit? They seem to be permanently set at batshit. Worked in the middle east of and on in the 80s. And a common trait I noticed in all sects was to be arrogant and cruel when in the ascendancy. But the moment they were on the back foot this pathetic fawning and special pleading would start.
We're recently back from 13 years in the Middle East. Still the same. Nasty people with a religion that perpetuates ignorance and cruelty.

We're recently back from 13 years in the Middle East. Still the same. Nasty people with a religion that perpetuates ignorance and cruelty.
Really? But surely the perpetuators are just isolated individuals?

I found this book ($5.39 from Kobo) gave a good account of Laos during the Vietnam War period and the subsequent Hmong diaspora:

the-ravens-the-true-story-of-a-secret-war-in-laos-vietnam.jpg

Back on the original topic (vaguely) Burma's 1947 constitution guaranteed the Federated Shan States (later Shan and Kayah states), Kachin State, and Karen State, the right to secede after a period of ten years after independence. This was based on the Panglong Agreement (Panglong Agreement - Wikipedia) of Feb 1947. I'm still searching for a reference to what might have been intended for the people of the Arakan (as it was then known) at that time. Obviously the 1947 constitution wasn't worth the paper it was written on, not lasting beyond Aung San's assassination.

My 'research' so far has led me to start a search for this book:

9780143010654.jpg

Finger inside the trigger guard, nice.