ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Myanmar, is it just too complex for some to understand?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Slime, Sep 13, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Oh, I didn't realise you had a sock account.

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Must try harder (somewhere else)!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ooh let's see..
    • First through third Anglo Burmese wars.
    • British Colonisation
    • Importation of Indians during British rule
    • Retreat from and abandonment to the Japs.
    • Return in '45, followed by "unseemly swift exit" of British in '48.
    That should be enough for the lentil crunching social justice warriors to get their guilt incisors latched onto.

I predict a play on Radio 4 decrying our guilt in Burma / Myanmar before Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AIUI this has been going on a long time and no-one in Burma ( and that includes the Sainted Nobel laureate) likes the muslim minority - if she's quiet about it it's because er....
    She agrees with it.
    It seems that hating the muslims is one of the few things that everyone in Myanmar whatever their other differences can agree on.

Needless to say there are other sides to the story - the muslims have been doing their fair share of ethnic cleansing - as always there are the fit young blokes of military age who are off doing their own thing away from the tragic pictures of refugees.

They were wanting their own state run by muslim rules back before Indian independence.
    The Burmese claim the existence of this community is only because of migration during the British empire.
    The muslims were armed to resist the Japanese in WW2 but rather than that, promptly chose to do some ethnic cleansing against their Bhuddist Burmese neighbours.

Yes the pictures are tragic but the Muslim minority are far from blameless victims.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 9
  5. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

But surely even the most ardent social justice warrior must have only a very Slim chance of blaming us. The Bill for this one is not ours.

I'll get me coat...

• Funny Funny x 8
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

IIRC Trump was blaming both sides in Charlottesville but was shouted down because he did not concentrate on the FRW. Unfortunately he backed down in this instance and took the easy way out.

Both sides were out for trouble in Charlottesville and it mattered little what was on the flag/banner they stood behind, a rammy was what each side wanted.

• Like Like x 10
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If this thread cant be kept on the subject without shouting and name calling it will soon disappear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I've worked in Myanmar on and off for several years.

Yes it's a complex problem and, a bit like Bosnia, not simple to just label people as 'good' and 'bad' guys.

Here's a simplified explanation.

Aung San was the independence leader. He led the creation of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar. Key point was his vision that Burma would, after independence, include the (mainly Buddhist) Burmah majority AND all the minority communities which, by and large, ring Myanmar's borders, but particularly to the east. The idea was 'independence first, political settlement second'. He was assassinated with the job half-done. Burma becomes a military dictatorship. His daughter becomes an academic, marries a Brit, moves to UK, raises two British-borne children.

At some point in the 80's she is sucked into and then takes leadership of the 'pro-democracy' movement. This leads to her house arrest and her becoming a prisoner of conscience. She's offered the chance to feck off back to UK to join her husband who is by now dying of cancer. She declines as she knows she'll be permanently exiled if she does. It is this decision that particularly makes her 'saintly' reputation in the West.

Concurrently, the military have failed to see through Aung San's vision of a great settlement, and their heavy-handed repression of the (mainly Christian) minorities leads to arm conflict with numerous different armed groups (at least 17 at one point recently), some of them for 60 years or so.

But this issue with the ethnic minorities on the eastern borders is NOT the issue that's been top of 'The Lady's' agenda. Her focus has always been the pro-democracy movement within the Burmah polity. The last elections saw her eventual victory, but the Army (the 'Tatmadaw') did not go gently into that good night. The constitution has been amended to guarantee the armed forces a considerable bloc of seats in the parliament, and they retain executive control of all of the security agencies, including the MoD and the Border Security Ministry. So she won but she's there on sufferance. And there are few votes in the Burmah majority for supporting the ethnic minorities.

And if that weren't sensitive enough, there's the Rohingya situation. Essentially ethnic Bengali (and Moslem), the inclusion of Burma into British India, made it easier for these people to settle in the west of Burma (not that any borders in pre-colonial SE Asia were hermetically sealed). Ironically, the reduction of the Junta's repression over the last few years in an attempt by the military to improve their electability, releases pent-up anti immigration hatred (sound familiar?) amongst the Burmah majority. Aung Sang Sui Kyi's constituency.

And this anti-Moslem hatred is pretty viscous. There is a particularly nasty form of radical Buddhism in Myanmar. I was there in 2013 when one senior monk issued an edict that said no Buddhist was allowed to have relations with a Moslem, marry a Moslem or do business with a Moslem. Almost word for word the same as the 1936 Nuremberg Race Laws. Nasty.

So she's in a cleft stick. She's a Burmah politician, in government under sufferance from the military. It's only the support of the Burmah majority that keeps the Army from taking control again. If she moves too far to support either the minorities or the Rohingya, she could lose this support.

Most foreigners don't understand that there are these three overlapping problems in Myanmar, let alone her weak position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 30
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The people currently being ethnically-cleansed overwhelmingly are, though. The sins of the father aren't to be visited on the son, as somebody once said.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Trouble is folk don't forgive and forget, even generations later

• Like Like x 3
  11. As I understand it Rohingya militants thought they would join in a bit of the old global jihad.And its come back to bite them royally on the arrse. Tragic to see innocents caught up in it. But from My observation,it seems to be the only language our islamic militant chums understand.

• Like Like x 4
  12. So basically what you're saying is that everyone's a naughty so and so in third world dungheaps?

(Edited as I just noticed this was CA)

Fair point old bean.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. Seriously, seek help. You are obsessed to the degree I am genuinely worried you are going to hurt someone in the hope Nazis will get the blame for it.

14. It's ok - it's the 13th today - you'll be forgotten by the 14th...

• Funny Funny x 3