My Top Tips for AOSB briefing and MB

Calcc.

Crow
Hi guys, not sure who this will reach. But hopefully I can help a few of you with any questions on passing AOSB briefing / main board. Both are extremely fresh in my mind and I for one know how daunting and nerve racking the whole process can be - especially with all the unknowns ahead of you. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have, so I can best help you prepare for whats to come. (I know how much I needed the advice.)

Calcc

D_Gun2019

Swinger
Congratulations!

How long did it take you between briefing and main board in that time what did you think you needed to work on most to get the pass?

Also, did anything on your main board not go quite right? Or were you consistent all they way through?

Calcc.

Crow
I was lucky enough to get a CAT 1 at briefing so between the two I only had 5 weeks. Personally for me I went away just kept on top of phys, MAP tests and focused mostly on getting as much practice as I could on Plan Ex, familiarising myself with the correct process.

In terms of 'did anything not go quite right?' Its so hard to tell. For sure I probably had a few weak points, but stay focused, determined and eager to complete every task they throw at you. Not one individual task will make you fail and just be yourself.

Calcc

TBCROW

Crow
Hey @Calcc.

I've got Main Board on 8th April 2019 so just fine tuning the last few bits of preparation.

A few questions...
  1. Can you shed some light on the difficulty of the Plan-Ex itself. I've practised Penguin Island, Problemania etc. is it to a similar level to those?
  2. Any tips for the questioning section of the plan-ex presentation?
  3. What were the interviews like in terms of questions, and can you remember the Maths questions they asked?
Thanks,

TBCROW

Calcc.

Crow
Hi,

I can't give too much away, as you get told pretty strictly when you finish not to share too much. However Plan Ex, be prepared for 2 sided narrative with a lot of information - I used AOSBadvicetips.co.uk to practice. My best advice is nail the process and be confident you can get at least 2 COA's down and a final plan, plus its definitely a step up from examples. Don't panic too much, they aren't looking for you to be a genius!

For the 'grilling' just remain calm. Remember this is a time for you to work wth your group, if you have completely ballsed your plan ex you can rectify it here - DON'T UMMMM and AHHHH and give good eye contact, say what you mean. Also make sure you know the narrative!

The interviews were for me the nicest bit, they were relaxed (not informal) and gave a good opportunity to show who you really are to the examining board. Have a basic understanding of the Reg you want to join, know your CV and just be yourself in them. Educational Interview, again I'm probably not aloud to say much on them but all I'll say is don't worry about it! ;)

If you have any more questions or worries, I'm more than happy to help. If not i wish you the best of luck, remain calm and just get there and enjoy it! The whole experience is exhausting but worth it - think of it as an insight into sandhurst and the training you have to come!

Calcc

TNT

Crow
Hi,

I can't give too much away, as you get told pretty strictly when you finish not to share too much. However Plan Ex, be prepared for 2 sided narrative with a lot of information - I used AOSBadvicetips.co.uk to practice. My best advice is nail the process and be confident you can get at least 2 COA's down and a final plan, plus its definitely a step up from examples. Don't panic too much, they aren't looking for you to be a genius!

For the 'grilling' just remain calm. Remember this is a time for you to work wth your group, if you have completely ballsed your plan ex you can rectify it here - DON'T UMMMM and AHHHH and give good eye contact, say what you mean. Also make sure you know the narrative!

The interviews were for me the nicest bit, they were relaxed (not informal) and gave a good opportunity to show who you really are to the examining board. Have a basic understanding of the Reg you want to join, know your CV and just be yourself in them. Educational Interview, again I'm probably not aloud to say much on them but all I'll say is don't worry about it! ;)

If you have any more questions or worries, I'm more than happy to help. If not i wish you the best of luck, remain calm and just get there and enjoy it! The whole experience is exhausting but worth it - think of it as an insight into sandhurst and the training you have to come!

Calcc
Well Said. I am also fairly fresh from main board. One very useful tip is reading the Plan Ex back to yourself on the way to the Plan EX debrief room after the actually writing is done ( this walk is done in silence- an extra 5 mins reading of the scenario is helpful.) This will stand you in very good stead when you are questioned by the staff immediately after. It's amazing the amount of people that lose focus after doing the Plan Ex. The real test is in the interrogation after- they want to see how well you handle yourself under pressure and more importantly if you can remember the main characters name etc ;)

TBCROW

Crow
Well Said. I am also fairly fresh from main board. One very useful tip is reading the Plan Ex back to yourself on the way to the Plan EX debrief room after the actually writing is done ( this walk is done in silence- an extra 5 mins reading of the scenario is helpful.) This will stand you in very good stead when you are questioned by the staff immediately after. It's amazing the amount of people that lose focus after doing the Plan Ex. The real test is in the interrogation after- they want to see how well you handle yourself under pressure and more importantly if you can remember the main characters name etc ;)
Cheers both! Main board a week Monday. Obviously you can't be crap at it all, but I get the impression a lot of MB is about being a genuinely good bloke, being yourself, not flapping and showing some passion for it. I've done a lot of prep, but I'm now thinking, just be yourself, what will be will be

In regards to the obstacle course, what exactly do you have to do with the cage? Like whats the method to do it? Based on the video online you have to put the box in then climb through.

And the rope climb to platform, how high do we have to go? Im going on practice ropes next week in anticipation for it.

Im not too worried about the fitness of it all and the agility etc, my obstacle course was one of my favourite bits of briefing, but to shed a bit of light on it would be extremely helpful.

Im aware the fitness test has just changed as well, but you would of done the original test am I correct?

TNT

Crow
The rope involves no actual rope climbing. You jump up, grab the rope then pull your legs up to the platform. They will show you this technique when you do the obstacle course.
For the cage, using your upper body strength you lift yourself up in to the cage then crawl down.
For the course you have to do one full lap. For your second lap I recommend leaving the cage till last as it’s the hardest and most time consuming in my opinion.
Good luck.

In the Main Board MAP tests for abstract reasoning, is it only type 1 questions that comes up? ie you are given set A and set B with different test shapes to match to 'A' 'B' or 'Neither'.

TBCROW

Crow
In the Main Board MAP tests for abstract reasoning, is it only type 1 questions that comes up? ie you are given set A and set B with different test shapes to match to 'A' 'B' or 'Neither'.
@roby123 it's just type 1 only, as listed here - UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips - Type #1 Questions - Psychometric Test & Interview Advice - BlogTestPrep

I passed Main Board in April 2019, i pretty much guessed every abstract reasoning question and EVERYONE said how nails it was. Don't much too much pressure on yourself, but don't slack either. I highly recommend the following site for prep:
Job Test Prep, Assessment Test, Assessment Test Practice - JobTestPrep

In all honestly, Main Board is a great character test of your WHOLE character. So don't get bogged down on one thing. The best advice I can give you is to focus on the task, complete it, then move on - regardless of whether you ballsed up or not.

Be confident, not cocky and you'll do well. They genuinely want you to succeed, even if it doesn't' feel like that. Don't let self-doubt set in and crack on and enjoy it - genuinely one of the most enjoyable few days I've had in a while!

chimera

LE
As someone who has been on the other side of the table for officer selection, my Top Tips:

1. Be yourself. If you try to be someone you are not you will be seen through.

2. Do not self assess as you go along.

3. Get fit.

4. There is a difference between good preparation and cheating. If you think that the only way you are going to pass is by knowing the questions in advance, then you are going into the wrong job.

Last edited:
Thanks, for the help..

A couple more things that would be very helpful to know, if you have the time to reply that would be great!

The MAP tests do they consist of the same (Abstract, Verbal and Numerical) as briefing, or is there another 'judgement' section thrown in? I have read on another thread that this is the case but i cant seem to find anything else on this..

Also, with regards to the general knowledge test and the military knowledge tests, what is the best way to get up to speed with these, what kind of stuff comes up?

And finally, the Plan Ex would you have any tips and advice for this/ where to find some good examples..

I might be getting myself a little worried and worked up, just want to do well!... Appreciate any help that is given..

Hohenidoom

Clanker
Thanks, for the help..

A couple more things that would be very helpful to know, if you have the time to reply that would be great!

The MAP tests do they consist of the same (Abstract, Verbal and Numerical) as briefing, or is there another 'judgement' section thrown in? I have read on another thread that this is the case but i cant seem to find anything else on this..

Also, with regards to the general knowledge test and the military knowledge tests, what is the best way to get up to speed with these, what kind of stuff comes up?

And finally, the Plan Ex would you have any tips and advice for this/ where to find some good examples..

I might be getting myself a little worried and worked up, just want to do well!... Appreciate any help that is given..
Testing at main board (to my memory) has the same abstract, verbal and numerical reasoning as briefing. but also adds a Military knowledge section and general knowledge section. The latter is quite wide ranging and on mine I was asked everything from who lived in a certain famous house to clouds.

PM sent regarding plan exs.

During briefing, do you get to have a go at the planning exercise yourself or is it just a lecture-style tutorial for main board?

oppoStu

War Hero
During briefing, do you get to have a go at the planning exercise yourself or is it just a lecture-style tutorial for main board?
You have a lecture on it, do an individual one and a group one. Exactly the same as Main Board.

Latest Threads