My "Time to boycott Harrods?" thread - gone - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of us who didn't see it - Why did you want it boycotted?

Mr_Bridger said:
Harrods does not allow entry to people in the uniform of HM Armed Services.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Mr_Bridger said:
On the documentary last night about "Abandoned Soldiers" in which ex-members of our armed forces who have been injured did a mission to raise a plinth and statue to those who have been left to rot by the MOD, some of the men, in uniform, were barred from entering Harrods due to their policy of refusing to allow uniformed soldiers to shop there. This policy is in place in case if 'offends' or 'frightens' their shoppers.

Because of this policy, and the lunacy of their boss, I'm more than happy to boycott them.

As to the reason why the thread was zapped, one might be because you failed to explain your reasoning for the request to boycott.

Bravo_Bravo said:
Mr_Bridger said:
Harrods does not allow entry to people in the uniform of HM Armed Services.
When the Hell did we become a Service instead of a Force???

If they are banning soldiers in uniform then I'll no longer visit. If 6000 vegetarians can turn round a Mars decision, what will 100,000 serving men an women do? :)

Here's the link to their 'contact us' form :

http://www.harrods.com/Cultures/en-GB/Miscellaneous/ContactUs.htm

I would suggest using the Customer Services Dept as the point of contact.
I would suggest you keep it polite but to the point. Perhaps we can get some media coverage?

P.S. Those tempted to try their Angus Steak burgers in store...don't.

Form filled out and sent.

I believe that this thread is worthy of bumping.

---------

Bravo - many thanks for the heads up.

An explanation would be good form, Mods.
Posting a reason why that post suddenly appeared and a reference why would have been good form too.

Bravo_Bravo

Time to boycott Harrods?
Posted: 21 May 2007 21:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No uniforms allowed in, eh?

Inane comments then followed on the thread which, in view of Al-Fayed's fondness of high-priced silks when his reputation is called into question were really not suitable.

Once again as I stated previously, please keep responses or queries to Harrods' store policy both on this thread and to Harrods regarding servicemen in uniform , lucid and polite.

Please also remember , though this uniform policy seems to exist, that Al-Fayed is a supporter of the Armed Forces at large, when many other household names are not. Please do not respond in such a manner as to harm that support , especially for our people in far-flung places.

This is a copy of a letter received on the last occasion this topic was brought up.

Thank you to your e mail concerning the wearing of service dress at Harrods. I presume your question arises from the article in the Mail on Sunday.

First of all I must apologise for the distress these reports may have caused. We are similarly upset at the level of criticism we have received, because many of Harrods employees are ex-service men and women and only the day before we had conducted our own remembrance service at the store’s permanent memorial to the many hundreds of Harrodians who lost their lives in the two world wars.

We do not deny that the incident took place, nor that the situation could have been handled more sensitively, albeit I would like to take the opportunity to explain the background.

Harrods does indeed have an entrance policy relating to various forms of attire. This policy has been altered over the years in line with the cultural climate and also, of course, to meet the specific requirements of our customers.

There is a historical precedent in place which relates specifically to those wearing uniforms - the main reason for which is that certain customers can be alarmed by the sight of uniforms - assuming that there is some sort of incident going on.

In conclusion, whilst we understand from the authorities that uniformed military personnel are discouraged from wearing their uniform other than at their place of work and in transit to and from work – we appreciate that on this occasion the security officer followed the guidelines to the letter rather than using his discretion or seeking advice.

All of that said, the level of interest in this story has led us to take a closer look at the policy and we will certainly remind our security officers to act more sensitively in the future.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your views to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Laurence Williams
Manager
Customer Services

PartTimePongo said:
An explanation would be good form, Mods.
Posting a reason why that post suddenly appeared and a reference why would have been good form too.

Bravo_Bravo

Time to boycott Harrods?
Posted: 21 May 2007 21:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No uniforms allowed in, eh?

Inane comments then followed on the thread which, in view of Al-Fayed's fondness of high-priced silks when his reputation is called into question were really not suitable.

Once again as I stated previously, please keep responses or queries to Harrods' store policy both on this thread and to Harrods regarding servicemen in uniform , lucid and polite.

Please also remember , though this uniform policy seems to exist, that Al-Fayed is a supporter of the Armed Forces at large, when many other household names are not. Please do not respond in such a manner as to harm that support , especially for our people in far-flung places.

This is a copy of a letter received on the last occasion this topic was brought up.

Thank you to your e mail concerning the wearing of service dress at Harrods. I presume your question arises from the article in the Mail on Sunday.

First of all I must apologise for the distress these reports may have caused. We are similarly upset at the level of criticism we have received, because many of Harrods employees are ex-service men and women and only the day before we had conducted our own remembrance service at the store’s permanent memorial to the many hundreds of Harrodians who lost their lives in the two world wars.

We do not deny that the incident took place, nor that the situation could have been handled more sensitively, albeit I would like to take the opportunity to explain the background.

Harrods does indeed have an entrance policy relating to various forms of attire. This policy has been altered over the years in line with the cultural climate and also, of course, to meet the specific requirements of our customers.

There is a historical precedent in place which relates specifically to those wearing uniforms - the main reason for which is that certain customers can be alarmed by the sight of uniforms - assuming that there is some sort of incident going on.

In conclusion, whilst we understand from the authorities that uniformed military personnel are discouraged from wearing their uniform other than at their place of work and in transit to and from work – we appreciate that on this occasion the security officer followed the guidelines to the letter rather than using his discretion or seeking advice.

All of that said, the level of interest in this story has led us to take a closer look at the policy and we will certainly remind our security officers to act more sensitively in the future.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your views to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Laurence Williams
Manager
Customer Services
umm...What, like ask people in uniform more kindly to leave?

cnuts.

It appears that Harrods do cave in when put under enough pressure.

http://israelinsider.com/channels/politics/articles/pol_0103.htm

"London department store Harrods reinstated three Israeli products this week, just days after it caved in to pressure from a pro-Palestinian group to empty shelves of goods manufactured on the Golan Heights or in the West Bank. Selfridges, another leading London store, similarly reinstated the products at the beginning of January."

it goes on to say :

"The change in Harrods' policy came after furious reactions from the Israeli Embassy and the British Jewish community, which threatened to boycott the store in response to the original store decision...."

So, that said... get filling out those forms.

http://www.harrods.com/Cultures/en-GB/Miscellaneous/ContactUs.htm

(and remember PTP's wise words!)

PTP

I am interested in your comment re Al-Fayed and his support for the Armed Forces. Can you give me an example. I am minded to make a fuss re the uniform issue especially after the slightly patronising tone of the letter

In conclusion, whilst we understand from the authorities that uniformed military personnel are discouraged from wearing their uniform other than at their place of work and in transit to and from work

It is not up to them to police our wearing of the uniform.

If our boycott damages Forces Charities then I will not boycott nor will I persuade all my huge bonus earning chums to join us.

Bearing in mind his behaviour- or that of his lawyers- re HM I will however take some persuading. I understand his grief but he is going a little far.

brightidea said:
I was too confused by the list of departments on that list. I might work up the courage to approach it again later.
I fired mine off to customer services. (I've edited the post with the link.)

Status
Not open for further replies.