My Stuff or sitemap

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Legs, Jun 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I click on the 'My Stuff' menu I used to get the site map. now all I get is this message

I am on DII(F) and it's a shit system. Most (actually all) of the dropdown menus don't work, it's the only way I can get to some areas.
  2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Snap. I found that if you go to the main forum page and work from there, then you can get to things liek 'Who's online' etc.
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks - that one is fixed, but there is still a duff link on the front page that I will get later. Meanwhile for the sitemap you can also use the link in the footer.
  4. Thanks GCO
  5. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Same problem on "More ARRSE", "Free ARRSE", "Purple Communities" and "Help"
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Before I change these, with a link in the footer now would it make more sense to get rid of those sitemap links on the main categories in the header. Perhaps the only one we need for DII people would be to have the Search category header pointing to the sitemap - or another sitemap link?

There must be loads of people who click on My Stuff and wonder why they end up on a sitemap - same for the others.
  7. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

right - no need for another sidemap under my stuff

otherwise you get lost with all links ... one link for sidemap should do imho
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Now much less confusing, although will take a short time to adjust for people who are used to the sitemap being called from those header categories - there are links as follows:

In the Help menu
    On the right as a main heading in the menu
    In the footer
    On the front page above the coloured box menu items on the top left.

I hope this will suit all - those who need easy access to the sitemap, and those who have the pull down menu, but don't want to be mysteriously whisked off to the sitemap when innocently clicking on the other links rather than waiting for the options in the pull down.
  9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

The problem is now that for those of us whose drop down menus don't work (DII), you end up with a load of menu headings that don't go anywhere/aren't clickable!

Having thought about it (and I know the Sitemap module doesn't (yet) support this) I think what we should have is:

More ARRSE > cpgn2/Site.html#More ARRSE
    Help > cpgn2/Site.html#Help

........ etc
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

See what you mean - you've got to know that your PC isn't playing to know that you have to click on Sitemap. Your answer is a Very good idea and not difficult I'm sure.

Another option (did we do this once?) id a red box that appears in the header for people without javascript that says "The menu won'twork because - click HERE ->". Probably better and less confusing for the majority.
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Scrap that - that would show for people with modern browsers but javascript disabled even though the menu would work perfectly well. On most people's browsers it just uses CSS.

What about something that recognises a DII client. Any RSigs person can tell me if there is anything that gives it away? DII specific IP address?
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Or a DII specific theme, which might be easier?
  13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Same problem as before - either the user himself has to know that he can't use the normal theme and menu, or the system has to recognize it and do it for him.

I suppose the gold plated solution is

if browser = IE6 or below AND browser doesn't do Javascript
    then show DII menu.