My Sort of Hovis

Oooooh, kitchen......s'pensive.

You putting it in, or have you got a fitter? I like doing the kitchens when I am fixing up a house, always buy from Ikea, robust, adaptable and stylish if you add a few non-Ikea accent components. The Ikea bloke told me in the US that for fitting you basically add on what everything else cost to buy.

I like working bun's, it's relaxing.
Nah. Son in Law fits them for work, plus I got discount. Hi lights another factor of rip off Britain. But tbf the current one looks like it's been in for 30 years. So relatively affordable

Has anyone else found that mass produced bread tastes very salty after home made? I expect its part of the dreaded Chorleywood process :eek:

I am not a huge fan of the supermarket loaf. It is a strange texture, almost foam like when you tear it.

Got to be worth a like (the post that is, not septic bread, which is indeed vile stuff).

I have a Panasonic SD-253. It is brilliant. You do literally just chuck the ingredients in, add water and press the button. Perfect loaf every time with zero effort. I usually go for rustic/crunchy/oaty/malty bread mixes. Excellent.

Sometimes I even get off my ARRSE and use the base ingredients.

My old man had one, but the crusts were always shit - have they come on in recent years?

D

Deleted 20555

Has anyone else found that mass produced bread tastes very salty after home made? I expect its part of the dreaded Chorleywood process :eek:

There is massive amount of salt in factory bread - well tbh in all processed food - to make it taste of something.

My old man had one, but the crusts were always shit - have they come on in recent years?

The crusts on mine tend to be quite soft which I like for sandwiches. The first loaves I made had a much thicker crust but were all wholemeal recipes. I think it all comes down to experimenting really. Tinker with the standard recipes until it makes what you want.

Good question, and one I can't really answer as I have no grounds for comparison having only ever had the Panasonic one.

The crusts on my bread seem pretty good (and I think bread should be 90% browny/black crust with a little white bit in the middle - like those rock hard loaves you can get in French markets). If you can beat someone to death with it then it is a good loaf.

I doubt if machine baked crusts can be better than oven baked ones.

Latest Threads