My Sort of Hovis

3163wc8.jpg

Sorry but the first three slices were nicked and eaten before I could get the iPhone to take the pic.

Recipe - variants of which are knocking around on't'web:

7 - 8g dried yeast
1 dessert spoon honey
500g plain white flour
1 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup malted milk powder (ovaltine)
teaspoon salt
1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons [dark] molasses
325 ml tepid water

Put about 25ml water into a small bowl, add honey, mix till honey dissolves, add yeast, stir in, not mix, and let rise.

Put all dry ingredients into a bowl and dry mix.

Make a hole in the dry mix and add half the yeast mix and half the water. Mix.

Make another hole, add the rest of the yeast mix and wash the yeast bowl dregs into the mix with the other half of the water. Mix a little then add the molasses. Keep mixing till it looks evenly distributed.

The mix will not have a dark Hovis like color, it will look a little sort of like a light coffee color.

Put the dough into a clean bowl to rise for around an hour, I cover with a damp tea towel and pIace in an oven which has been previously pre-heated to about 120 and switched off. Tip: Put butter onto a piece of kitchen towel and then very lightly smear a bowl to prevent the mix sticking - lightly smear, too much will result in the butter frying the dough later during baking.

After the hour the dough should have risen to about 2 times size. Drop it onto a floured surface, bang all the air out, then fold and knead for 5 minutes....not three, five ..... the more you work the dough the better result you get.

After five minutes form the dough into a loaf shape using both hands and tucking the edges under, turning the dough as you go for around 30 seconds - till it looks good, commonsense. When it is a nice loaf shape put it into a loaf tin which has had some butter [lightly] smeared around to prevent sticking.

I then put it into the oven which has again been pre-heated to 100 'ish and turned off - (edit: some ovens have a proofing setting, if yours has then use that). When the dough has proved - after about 35 minutes - I turn the oven on and set to baking temp of 380 and leave for 30 - 35 minutes. The gradual rise to baking temp will finish proving the dough and then it will bake nicely.

I've made about 6 of these now and they seem to work quite nicely - I know they taste nice as the kids scoff them as soon as they can.

Enjoy.

Notes:

1. Hovis was never a true brown loaf - it was colored, that is what the molasses does. I have read of people using cold tea, cocoa and other things to get the color.
2. The wheat goodness is added with the wheat bran - I can't get wheat germ or I would try that too.
3. The malted milk powder gives the malty part of a malted loaf.

Last edited:

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Soda bread is the way to go, folks!

MsG

Why not save all the kneading and stuff by chucking all the ingredients into a breadmaker and pressing a button.

That took longer to read than make.

Might try it one day, if the local backstube runs out that is.

Why not save all the kneading and stuff by chucking all the ingredients into a breadmaker and pressing a button.

Have you got one? Are they any good?

You've never tried American bread then! Its like a fine sponge mattress foam.

Got to be worth a like (the post that is, not septic bread, which is indeed vile stuff).

Have you got one? Are they any good?

I have a Panasonic SD-253. It is brilliant. You do literally just chuck the ingredients in, add water and press the button. Perfect loaf every time with zero effort. I usually go for rustic/crunchy/oaty/malty bread mixes. Excellent.

Sometimes I even get off my ARRSE and use the base ingredients.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Got to be worth a like (the post that is, not septic bread, which is indeed vile stuff).

I have a Panasonic SD-253. It is brilliant. You do literally just chuck the ingredients in, add water and press the button. Perfect loaf every time with zero effort. I usually go for rustic/crunchy/oaty/malty bread mixes. Excellent.

I've got the Panasonic one too, very good.

I trust you were listening to some Dvorjak when you baked it?

Possibly one of the greatest pieces of music ever written and a sodding bread advert knicks it - bloody heathen plebs.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I get the molasses for colour but what's the honey for? (apart from to add sweetness, obviously).

I get the molasses for colour but what's the honey for? (apart from to add sweetness, obviously).
Feed the yeast, healthier option than using refined sugar.

Having held out for the breadmaker I do have to admit that your hand made loaf does look very good indeed. I feel hungry now.

Just to add, i also use my bread machine for making pizza dough, nan breads, walnut and banana loaves ect.

As Mr Kitmonkey said; it feeds the yeast makes it rise better. Technically it doesn't need the honey, but I personally find I get better results with honey and all the top bods seem to use honey for their yeast - I compared using honey to sugar and the honey was better than sugar.

Alright, just Amazoned a YD250 - they don't appear to sell the 253 here.

Alright, just Amazoned a YD250 - they don't appear to sell the 253 here.

It's probably an old model, now discontinued. I have had mine for about 7-8 years.

Enjoy.

Edit. You bastard. I googled it and now I want one. Got five stars in every single rating category but oddly enough got an overall rating of 4.8/5 - so either I wasted my time doing A Level statistics or they are mongs. A bit like the article in the paper yesterday that said the average spend in Poundland was £4.72. WTF. (And yes, I know!).

Last edited:
It's probably an old model, now discontinued. I have had mine for about 7-8 years.

Enjoy.

Edit. You bastard. I googled it and now I want one. Got five stars in every single rating category but oddly enough got an overall rating of 4.8/5 - so either I wasted my time doing A Level statistics or they are mongs. A bit like the article in the paper yesterday that said the average spend in Poundland was £4.72. WTF. (And yes, I know!).

You peeked at my birth certificate, or spoke with my long suffering former Cpl.

To make you feel better I saw Panasonic have the 250 on special offer at the moment so they are probably running down stocks for an even newer model.