My sister: The war lady in the all-female Tornado crew

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Skynet, Dec 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    December 27, 2009
    My sister: The war lady in the all-female Tornado crew
    Nikki Thomas, a fast jet-navigator serving in Afghanistan, on fighting the Taliban and 'helmet hair'
    Janine Thomas

I’m on the phone to Nikki, my little sister, and we’re gossiping away about the usual stuff, boys, shoes, bombs. Yes, bombs. Squadron Leader Nikki Thomas is a fast-jet navigator serving in Afghanistan. She and her pilot, Juliette “Jules” Fleming, are the RAF’s first all-female Tornado crew in the country. They have clocked up more than 35 missions in the war zone in the past three months.
  2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I knew an all male crew once

I suppose they were as good as these two

Mind they never got splashed all over the papers

Never mind
  3. Could you imagine the grief when it came to their time of the month...

"Bombs away!"

"You don't have to say it like that"

"Like what?"

"There you go again, it's not my fault the plane wobbled, why don't I crash this bloody plane and kill us both will that make you happy"

FAC cuts in... "Mongoose, Victor Charlie 2 7, good spla..."

4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Speaking as an ex-Crab in the Hallowed Halls of ARRSE, we have always treated our women as equals [OK, the Meeja don't and like to hype things up for a bit of 'news'].

Frankly, the RAF don't care about the shape of the bumps under the jumper - we just accept fellow professionals regardless of gender.

I've worked with cr@p blokes and cr@p women, and good ones on both sides too - and a very professionally-competent lezzer.

I just wish the bloody Meeja would get off the fukcing case - we've all been working with women for decades. No big deal. Copied, Journos?

[/rant] ... 'cos it's Christmas.
  5. Couldn't give a toss about her being a Doris.

On the other hand - she's just a nav. Talking baggage.

No stick, no vote.
  6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Me too,Some of the WRAF's I worked with were very good,they had to be because it was'nt long before I joined that women were'nt allowed on Aircraft trades although I've worked with a few useless,lazy bint's too!
  7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Unlike the old days of WW1, when the 'driver' was an NCO and the Rupert directed proceedings from the back seat.

They should never have allowed commissioned drivers.
    Think where the RCT could have ended up.
  8. Shouldn't that be lack of bombs? Trying to get a bomb dropped in Helmand now is like trying to get a free pint off a jock.
  9. So they're both aircrew? So what is the point of the story?

Are we not all equal?
  10. Could be worse a newspaper could set up an award show with categories such as:

Best limbless soldier

Best attrited unit

Most media friendly MC

Best token non Afghanistan award

And we could all purr about how grateful we are that the media are taking notice of us

Sleep with the devil................
  11. I always thought the most dangerous thing known to mankind was an officer with a map,how times change,now we've go two off them,(f/male), in a highly expensive,complicated piece of machinery, God help us at the wrong time of the month, I just hope all the blurb vis-a-ais guidance systems are true.
  12. You been nudging the turps bottle again you geriatric oil lamp?

This thread has highlighted only the fifth Tornado crew pair who I have fancied shagging but sadly 5Alpha was hanging out of the oldest navigator's back eye but then again he was very old, smelt of Brut33 and had done a tour on Banana bombers with The Skates so he was used to being reamed by a stoker of African extraction.
  13. No. Journos are beneath contempt.
  14. Quite. Also this is a journo making mileage out of a family connection to the forces, which seems to have become a theme recently. Any means of finding an angle, however spurious, to sell copies of their rag.
  15. So, as a female Navigator, she fails on 2 counts then :)