My Shame

I'm beginning to hate you. Your Dad joined in 1967? Same bloody year as me.
Now what was it I was going to say? Is that you, son?
If you are an ex-REME VM, you are off the hook.
If your assets go over a million, then I’m getting my paternity claim in now.

NSP

LE
There were four very similar boys papers, all published by DC Thomson’s.
Adventure
Rover
Wizard
Hotspur

They used to be magazines rather than comics, with properly written stories and very few illustrations. Then sometime in the 60s they bowed to the gradual deterioration of literacy and started to have picture strip stories.
The little Commando "War Stories In Pictures" booklets were all the rage with boys when I were a lad.

The little Commando "War Stories In Pictures" booklets were all the rage with boys when I were a lad.
War Picture Library was the first in the small format. That was followed by the almost identical Battle Picture Library, and the Commando comics came along three or four years later. I had grown out of the genre before Commando came along, and never bought any.

NSP

LE
War Picture Library was the first in the small format. That was followed by the almost identical Battle Picture Library, and the Commando comics came along three or four years later. I had grown out of the genre before Commando came along, and never bought any.
I'm not that old. I just look it... :grin:

I remember WPL but Battle was a weekly comic for me; later with the toy tie-in Battle Action Force. I thought Commando the superior product. Seemed to have better, clearer illustrations and frame format.

Last edited:

I remember WBL but Battle was a weekly comic for me; later with the toy tie-in Battle Action Force. I thought Commando the superior product. Seemed to have better, clearer illustrations and frame format.
My recollection too.

I remember WBL but Battle was a weekly comic for me; later with the toy tie-in Battle Action Force. I thought Commando the superior product. Seemed to have better, clearer illustrations and frame format.
I’m the same, always thought the artists work inside was better quality. Saying that every now and then even Commando had a set of drawings inside that were dubious.

I'm getting curious now. I know there's a collector's market for early Commando editions and that there's even been a couple of hardback collections published in recent years - anyone know what the first edition was?

I can settle my nostalgia with an old Airfix catalogue and photostat of the Tommy Gunn range. I'll highly recommend 'Achtung Schweinhund' by Harry Pearson btw but I reckoned n the history of Commando is being overlooked somewhat.

syrup

LE
I'm getting curious now. I know there's a collector's market for early Commando editions and that there's even been a couple of hardback collections published in recent years - anyone know what the first edition was?

I can settle my nostalgia with an old Airfix catalogue and photostat of the Tommy Gunn range. I'll highly recommend 'Achtung Schweinhund' by Harry Pearson btw but I reckoned n the history of Commando is being overlooked somewhat.

Very good piece in last month Britain at War Magazine celebrating 60 years of Commando

1638146476240.png

1638146564334.png

My dad joined the army in 1967 and was issued a foot locker. I was gifted this in my teens, and thanks to a market stall, was able to get lots of Commando books, which I stashed in said foot locker. I even got one from the 1960s!
Dad used to work very long hours, including Saturday am. He would always set Saturday tea-time for a soak in the bath, and raid MY locker for Commando books. Or “Training Pamphlets” as he used to call them.
He wasn’t impressed when I put a padlock on the locker one day.
We used to get comics sent monthly to SA by my granny - big bundle of 'em.
Warlord (my brother), Beano, Dandy (for my sisters) and Action (me).
Then 2000AD came out ... my Brother decided he'd rather had that, and wrote to Granny.
All good.
Until the old man asked 'Where's the Warlord, then?'
He had a right huff because WE had decided we didn't want it any more...
Another letter to granny... problem solved

I used to bloody love these comics as a kid!

My Mam would drag me around random jumble sales buying me pairs of shorts and shit like that.

I’d have my eyes peeled for a stack of comics that might have had a few of these tucked away inside.

I always wanted to be that soldier with the netted lid chasing the enemy around with a Tommy gun.

That’s me in my avatar, apart from the Tommy gun I got what I wanted :thumleft:
Thats a really ally avatar. Do you smoke in real life or was that to go with the thousand yard stare look? Also wondering what cam you put in your netted lid in the Desert?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Also wondering what cam you put in your netted lid in the Desert?
Sand.

On the other hand think, "shape, shine, shadow, shade, surface, silhouette, sound, speed. "
You may have heard something similar before...

Alternatively, "Allyness saves lives."

Is my memory playing me false or did the comedian Dick Emery not have something to do with editorial comments in one of the war comics, maybe Battle or Warlord? I recall feature pieces in the comics about real life weapons and equipment, one which I recall was the super Sherman and I’m sure Emery commented on it.

Is my memory playing me false or did the comedian Dick Emery not have something to do with editorial comments in one of the war comics, maybe Battle or Warlord? I recall feature pieces in the comics about real life weapons and equipment, one which I recall was the super Sherman and I’m sure Emery commented on it.
He was honcho of the Airfix modellers club, and had a weekly column/'how to..' in one of them.
1638178535265.jpeg

Valiant, and later Battle, apparently

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Thats a really ally avatar. Do you smoke in real life or was that to go with the thousand yard stare look? Also wondering what cam you put in your netted lid in the Desert?

Oh mate, I smoked on every tour I did. Apart from a webbo UN tour.

I think the main reason was it killed my hunger, as the rat packs just never filled me. Was also sociable sitting and having a smoke with the boys and I suppose it calmed the nerves a bit sometimes too. A good ice breaker too when interacting with locals or working with lads from other units.

Some of the lads had pipes, and they were mega! Sitting around at night, in the total darkness, passing a pipe round full of strong baccy with your mukkas while you chat shit about back home or recount tales from the days activities is a memory I sometimes reminisce about.

Thousand yard stare? Lol not me mate, this was me getting caught in my natural mong state. Not aware I was going to be snapped.

As for the helmet cam, all the blokes in my troop on that tour had their own thing going on. Individualism was the way ahead I think, seemed par for the course in an airborne sqn. No body gripped us for it. The troop from 59 Cdo, that came out to relieve us, couldn’t have looked more different to us. We looked like a bunch of scarecrows actually.

I kept it simple. Scrim net with a larger net over it. Some lads spray painted their lids and then netted it. That was a lot of effort. Some also looked for foreign cam for a helmet cover. Then scrimmed over it too.

By the end of the tour mine was totally sun bleached.

Also at the end of the smoking tours I just knocked smoking on the head. Felt no real addiction to it, used it purely on tour due to boredom and hunger etc. I never feel the urge to smoke now.

Anyway, thread drift sorry about that. Hope you’re well mukka :thumleft:

Latest Threads