My Shame

I came across this very unusual group online recently. Major (QM) AP “Bobby” Joyce, Welsh Guards.
1637957024389.jpeg

The Spinks lot included several other ephemeral items, including a copy of this comic.

1637958649171.jpeg

1637961399289.jpeg

I had a little smile to myself, because 57 years ago Bobby Joyce bollocked me for reading a similar comic. “How old are you son ? That’s for kids. Grow up.”
Done in front of several people, it was quite humiliating.

I came across this very unusual group online recently. Major (QM) AP “Bobby” Joyce, Welsh Guards.
View attachment 618403

The Spinks lot included several other ephemeral items, including a copy of this comic.

View attachment 618406
View attachment 618425

I had a little smile to myself, because 57 years ago Bobby Joyce bollocked me for reading a similar comic. “How old are you son ? That’s for kids. Grow up.”

View attachment 618403

View attachment 618406
View attachment 618425

I’m sure I had that copy in 72, I had it every week delivered by paperboy. That and the Hotspur, Commando and the War Picture Library.

I’m sure I had that copy in 72, I had it every week delivered by paperboy. That and the Hotspur, Commando and the War Picture Library.
There were four very similar boys papers, all published by DC Thomson’s.
Adventure
Rover
Wizard
Hotspur

They used to be magazines rather than comics, with properly written stories and very few illustrations. Then sometime in the 60s they bowed to the gradual deterioration of literacy and started to have picture strip stories.

There were four very similar boys papers, all published by DC Thomson’s.
Adventure
Rover
Wizard
Hotspur

They used to be magazines rather than comics, with properly written stories and very few illustrations. Then sometime in the 60s they bowed to the gradual deterioration of literacy and started to have picture strip stories.
The Commando and War Picture still did the rounds when I was serving , we called them Combat or Training manuals.

View attachment 618403

View attachment 618406
View attachment 618425

It's almost amazing that what we regard as 'nostalgia' would be inconceivable today.
And yet, just watching some TV prog on walking Britain's Roman roads and there's a guy dressed up as a Roman - I'll bet be was Airfix and Victor generation.
A paradox that some of the excellent 'Living history/re-enactors' could probably trace their origins to your attachments and link a boys comic to their historic legacy better than such as Sealed Knot etc ever did back in the day!
Particularly interesting that such things as the recent IWM Remebrance event and crap Museum presentations (which, by rights, should be the custodians of accurate historical presentation) get called out.

I see a golden thread from Victor etc, through other childhood nostalgia, to a very real interest and understanding of history which is in spite of rather than because of Museum presentations.
Wonder if, or when, there may be a better understanding and evaluation?

It's almost amazing that what we regard as 'nostalgia' would be inconceivable today.
And yet, just watching some TV prog on walking Britain's Roman roads and there's a guy dressed up as a Roman - I'll bet be was Airfix and Victor generation.
A paradox that some of the excellent 'Living history/re-enactors' could probably trace their origins to your attachments and link a boys comic to their historic legacy better than such as Sealed Knot etc ever did back in the day!
Particularly interesting that such things as the recent IWM Remebrance event and crap Museum presentations (which, by rights, should be the custodians of accurate historical presentation) get called out.

I see a golden thread from Victor etc, through other childhood nostalgia, to a very real interest and understanding of history which is in spite of rather than because of Museum presentations.
Wonder if, or when, there may be a better understanding and evaluation?

The luvvies are waiting for that generation to die so nothing stands in the way of their manipulation of history. The (mass) book burnings are not far off now. Individual authors and titles are already under attack.

I couldn't identify all of the group, but Rolf Harris singing "I've been everywhere, man." sprang to mind.

English version found

Commando still going strong. One of the current issues (bought yesterday and I am 50 but they are a good read. Bloke at the local market does a good trade in second hand copies too).

IMG_20211127_071722_1~2.jpg

Four issues of Commando are published each two weeks - two new stories and two re-prints.

Victor was excellent. I think it stopped publishing at some point in the late 80s - it focused on football stories for a while but the market just wasn't there anymore. Thinking about it, it is pretty impressive that Commando is still in print.

Last edited:
Bloody hell! 2.25 squids is just under ZAR50-00. Won't even get you a six pack these days but around the time I klaared out of the army it would get you a crate of beer and a bottle of Red Heart rum.

Was a time the exchange rate was two USD to the ZAR and two ZAR to the GBP. Just over 21 to the GBP now and around 17 to the USD. We've come a long way.

170224150234_15429a%20%282%29.jpg

I loved comics as a kid and regularly bought and read Battle, later battle action, warlord and 2000AD, not to mention the ubiquitous Commando and war picture library, this carried on well into my teens, including into army basic training as a junior.
One day, the emperor persuaded me it’ll be a great idea to buy a comic from the Naafi shop, so I do as I’m bid, casually read it and then stashed it under my mattress for safe keeping, no doubt with his purpleness assuring me that it would be safely hidden away there. The following day, room inspection by the company commander. The usual ensued with several hapless individuals having articles launched from lockers which didn’t pass muster, including mine. Then, as I’m stood at attention, rooted to the spot, the CO must have had a divine revelation, as the only mattress lifted in the 12 man room was yours truly, with 2000AD revealed in all its technicoloured splendour. Threats of whispered murder from an irate NCO swiftly followed as the CO continued on his hunt for further victims.

Last edited:
I used to bloody love these comics as a kid!

My Mam would drag me around random jumble sales buying me pairs of shorts and shit like that.

I’d have my eyes peeled for a stack of comics that might have had a few of these tucked away inside.

I always wanted to be that soldier with the netted lid chasing the enemy around with a Tommy gun.

That’s me in my avatar, apart from the Tommy gun I got what I wanted :thumleft:

Bloody hell! 2.25 squids is just under ZAR50-00. Won't even get you a six pack these days but around the time I klaared out of the army it would get you a crate of beer and a bottle of Red Heart rum.

Was a time the exchange rate was two USD to the ZAR and two ZAR to the GBP. Just over 21 to the GBP now and around 17 to the USD. We've come a long way.

170224150234_15429a%20%282%29.jpg
I'm surprised about the last banknote. Seems to have a pretty basic cartoon drawing on it? Not the usual national landmark, etc.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Eish !
Is progress ANC style.

Remember when the zero Rand note came out and the ANC were so incensed by their mismanagement theft being shown up they tried to have the ouen who printed them busted for forgery ?

Bordon/hants

War Hero
AArrrrgh..........It's war is a great collection of some of the best artwork / cover art;

Amazon product
Got a copy somewhere, Unfortunately no bespectacled Nips going "Aieeeeee!!!" though as I recall all seemed to do in my distant youth when the original mags were one Queen's shilling to buy, and if you had thruppence left you could buy a Jamboree bag or some edible rolling tobbaco.......happy days!

Yup. Weekly shop for me was a comic or two, Battler Britton/Battle/Commando/whatever was available and a small bag of zouties, what the Cloggies call drops.

I think the prices on the comics back then were in the order of 3d or something like that. Bit of a shocker seeing 2.25 squids on the one posted earlier. Not much of a business type but I figured my weekly pocket money was enough to get me into the local swimming pool where I'd snorkel along picking up what had been dropped from pockets. Usually managed to at least quadruple it, giving me enough for a go again on sunday, saving enough for my comics and zouties the next saturday. Winter was slim pickings but I made a killing in summer.

I suggest you get your arse in gear and head off to the bottle shop pronto.
I suspect the Minister of Hats will be bringing in a new booze ban 'with immediate effect' tonight.
PS: stop at the pub on the way home.

Latest Threads