My recent trip to Dublin, a few thoughts

Right Stacker! I promise to comply but only where your 'logistic corps' stuff is sprouted! Why did.n't you get yourself into a fighting unit Like The Black Watch or the Royal Welsh?
I could spell my name and so I was over qualified.

Dredd

LE
Not quite how it went down, it wasn't part of an EU package...........cheeky wee fecker.
Plus a fair amount of UK contributed cash will have been in the additional EU package so it was more than £3.2 Bn in reality.

Er ... are any of the old boys of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers still alive? I would think the youngest would be about 106.
"Our reason for existence is to promote a wider awareness of the forgotten Irish men and women who served, fought and died in the Great War 1914-1918. Most people do not know about the large numbers from all parts of Ireland who took part in that dreadful conflict nor of the impact of their involvement at personal and national levels."

Pretty similar to what the 36th Ulster Division Memorial Association is entrusted to do up here in NI and over at Thiepval Wood.

To be honest I thought it was Red on both sides of the border.

What happens if your caught with Green Diesel in NI or vis a versa?
There used to be a loophole where it wasn't illegal to use Green diesel in the UK, only Red. They changed the law to ban Green too a few years ago. Up until then pretty much every diesel car in Tyrone and Fermanagh was running on Green.

Does HMS Belfast, for example, say how many people they killed on D Day or in Korea? Just saying

Specifically in Kilmainham:
Between 1796 and 1910 - 180
1916 - 14
Irish Civil War - 4

There was a lot of unofficial executions in both the War of Independence and Civil War (elsewhere in the country).
The late Martin Corry TD spoke of 'offing' around 60 when he was the chief executioner for the Cork IRA during the war of Independence. But the did the deed locally rather than at Kilmainham.

That said, love Dublin - beautiful city on so many levels. Must visit Cork.

JCC

War Hero
The late Martin Corry TD spoke of 'offing' around 60 when he was the chief executioner for the Cork IRA during the war of Independence. But the did the deed locally rather than at Kilmainham.

That said, love Dublin - beautiful city on so many levels. Must visit Cork.
@Kinch Martin Corry TD - there's not many know about him - but wrong thread. I do want to hear any gen you have about the old monster but better keep it for the WoI & CW threads.

Last edited:
There are many regional Irish accents. Most of us can identify which county a person is from by their accent. There isn't even one Dublin accent, or one Cork accent for that matter. @irlsgt can probably identify which area of Dublin city or county an individual comes from by accent.

As an added bonus we can identify Travellers by accent as well.
I spent a bit of time in hospital last year and one eveneing a youngish 25 yr old was brought in who had a distinct 'traveller' accent - an 'Irishesque' put on so distinctive of 'English' wannabee pikeys. Nevertheless, I decided to humour him - "what part of Ireland are you from" I asked................Hartlepool came the reply............'have you by any chance got a spare sandwich'?

@Kinch Martin Corry TD - there's not many know about him - but wrong thread
Correct on both counts, though the justification was my response to the quoted remark about many more IRA killings having taken place in 'other parts of the country'. I will raise the issue and the man in a more appropriate thread should an opportunity arise.

JCC

War Hero
Correct on both counts, though the justification was my response to the quoted remark about many more IRA killings having taken place in 'other parts of the country'. I will raise the issue and the man in a more appropriate thread should an opportunity arise.
@Kinch

Please do as I do want to hear any gen you have about the old monster but better keep it for the WoI & CW threads.

I've been doing some research on him for a project and he was extraordinary and rather special but maybe not untypical for his type and time.

@Kinch

Please do as I do want to hear any gen you have about the old monster but better keep it for the WoI & CW threads.

I've been doing some research on him for a project and he was extraordinary and rather special but maybe not untypical for his type and time.
Take a look at the Irish Examiner or the link to it on Maloney's 'Broken Elbow blog'.

Dredd

LE
And our biggest trading partner is.... the U.K..... so a lot of what we borrowed was spent in the UK
Which no doubt was one of the main considerations when considering if and how much.

It was certainly not a handout or for purely altruistic reasons. And if the situation was reversed I would expect the same principles to apply.

As I am fond of saying - somebody somewhere is trying to sell you something.

par avion

War Hero
Thanks for all the advice on looking on google maps for the GPO guys.

I have looked at google maps and google images - The GPO is really big isn't it.

Apparently it had to be.

With everyone in the Republic having a grandad/great grandad, Great uncle who was there in 1916 with the Irish Volunteers and the IRB, it would have been standing room only.

Thanks for all the advice on looking on google maps for the GPO guys.

I have looked at google maps and google images - The GPO is really big isn't it.

Apparently it had to be.

With everyone in the Republic having a grandad/great grandad, Great uncle who was there in 1916 with the Irish Volunteers and the IRB, it would have been standing room only.
No exactly there was about 200'000 who couldn't make the GPO get together as they were prior engaged in Northern France/Southern Belgium and the Mediterranean.

Last edited:

Latest Threads