My recent trip to Dublin, a few thoughts

Let's see, UK bailed them out to the tune of £3.85 billion as part of the EU €85 billion EU/IMF bailout package and "we" bailed them out?
Cheeky wee fecker.
The UK did make out a nice little earner of half a billion £s in the end by lending them money...

Just like the U.S gov't made over $75B USD in profit by bailing banks out.

I am not saying it's good or bad, just that they managed to turn a profit with lending money......call it Wonga or something?

Interesting observations.

Last year I did 4 business trips over there. I encountered quite a few Poles in service jobs, gym PT/ managers, food service. More so than in the UK.

one for my Irish chums ?
maybe most of you wont be old enough but anyway in 71 on my honeymoon I stayed in the Montrose over in Dun laoghr....arr feck ...southside and also the siver springs Cork, anyway we went out on the piss one night to Biddy mulligans now for the life of me I cant remember where it was , anyone know?

Interesting observations.

Last year I did 4 business trips over there. I encountered quite a few Poles in service jobs, gym PT/ managers, food service. More so than in the UK.
You will also find a ton of IT customer operations over there....primarily from American companies,

no I don't think I strayed that far from the hotel that night.
an amusing incident that night when this drunk barged in and said "I'll fight anyman in this place for a pound" it was at that point i'd realised I'd dropped my lighter under the table and it took me a while to find it, well untill the mad ****** left anyway. ...happy days.

Your rational facts are really de-railing my anti Free State rant...
Just to get your rant back on track, the Irish haven't paid the UK back yet and won't be until March next year. Feel better now?

(Mind you, the UK put so many early payment clauses into the loan that it would cost the Irish far more to pay it off then letting it run its course).

It's the actual Dubliners I struggle with. The accent is so thick I generally just hope for the best and say 'yes', 'no' and 'Guinness' at what I hope are appropriate points in the conversation.
My wife's Geordie cousins were surprised to learn that people brought up on the border of South Tipperary/West Waterford (me) struggled to understand the West Cork accent. Even when sober they sound like Woody Woodpecker played at 78rpm.

My wife's Geordie cousins were surprised to learn that people brought up on the border of South Tipperary/West Waterford (me) struggled to understand the West Cork accent. Even when sober they sound like Woody Woodpecker played at 78rpm.
IfindtheKerrymenarethemostdifficulttounderstand.

The public transport is top class! which means people will naturally use it! However

During The March 1916 uprising, a Pl of British infantry set themself up in what was the cavalry Club, it is facing Phoenix Park. They engaged the I R A with Lewis Guns, most of the 'Bullet strikes are on the old park buildings especially the Park Gate towers. The battle went on for most of the day. The bullet strikes on the Cavalry club have been completely removed, while all the bullet effects in the park are left to stand out, they are pointed out in detail to the American and other tourists by the guides.
There's supposed to still be trenches in Phoenix park dug by British soldiers. I'm not sure if they were dug by those training for WW1 or by British soldiers during the Easter Rising.

Breaking news here now
A massive cross border money laundering racket has been busted £215 million so far been mentioned. FFs you have to love em the scamps :)
You could hardly expect the South Armagh boys to sign on the dole now... how else are they gonna feed themselves.

Having just returned from a week in Dublin there are a few things that stick in my mind.
I imagine that The South is to a Northerner what the US is to Canada, everything looks familiar but different enough to give thought.
The current election, Irish TV (RT) is fairly busy with this yet unlike in GB there are no political posters on private property, they all seem to be on lamp posts.
Its almost as if honest folk are to embarrassed/ashamed to be seen to support any of them. The PR is obvious when you see Votail #1 and then in small print continue to support me by selecting the following (3 or 4 names would appear).
The hotel I stayed in was a business one, it had selections of the weekly business journals all puffing Bust to Boom, no mention of the fact that they needed to be bailed out by the UK and others last time around and that with the drop in Eu revenue coming there will soon be another looming crisis.
Foreigners, yup I mean those that don't speak either Gaelic or English, why move to a country that has employment issues and not speak passable lingua franca?
The Irish could solve their employment issues by banning English.
Beautiful women almost everywhere apart from the grotty public housing areas around St James Gate where skanky seems to be a prevailing look!
I was particularly amused to see RTE's morning news magazine show titled "Good Morning Europe!"
Really kissing arse there and lets face it you need to pick a side and stick with it!
It's interesting how you've noticed differences from the UK. I find it similar, visiting the UK. Some things just stand out because they're different from what it was like when I lived there. "Save a life this Ramadan" on the back of a bus really surprised me, never seen anything like that before. Normal looking Shell filling station had blinds over its food section during daylight hours, it being Ramadan at the time. This was in the Northern Leicester 'burbs.

The money has changed. Words like "woke" entering the vocabulary. Still don't really know what it means, so wouldn't use it myself. Being charged for pretty much everything. Plastic bags in a shop, parking, even dropping someone off at the airport costs money. The look on people's faces when presented with a payment card and the machine spits out a signature slip. Pen? Erm... The kids hanging round bus stops with hoodies on. Policemen wearing uniforms that I don't recognise. The prevalence of neon-coloured tabards. Seems to mean "I think I'm in charge". Just small things, but they stand out.

Latest Threads