My recent trip to Dublin, a few thoughts

You seen forget Ireland since we joined has had a very strong positive outlook towards the EU
now there's a surprise:rolleyes:, mind credit where it's due- I do watch Euronews- it's better than Channel 4 or BBC. That said I haven't really watched the BBC for years now. Did I mention me Grandma and Dad lived in Dublin in Oxmanton Road with her parents- him ( great Grandad) being in the South Irish Horse. in '16. Strange thing about Ireland at that particular point-it was British and the institutions were British therefore up until 1921/22 any executions lawfully carried out were British. The killing of any British soldier by rebel forces was therefore a crime.

ugly

LE
@ugly
loans... repaid with interest and early!

Unemployment is at 4.8%
the record low I think was 3.6% around 2001

You sure you weren’t watching Euronews on RTE?
An European news programme that RTE rebroadcast.

You seen forget Ireland since we joined has had a very strong positive outlook towards the EU
Maybe on the first bit as it was all trump bashing basically
Regarding the other, ever since you eventually voted the right way the Eu has been increasing its presence and influence eventually if offered the chance to leave many will worry that the money will run out
Eta I missed the loan comment, still needed it though didn’t you!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Firstly my commiserations on your affliction.

Secondly could you keep your worthless opinions to yourself? Your English overlords are talking on this thread and we don't need dirty, sheep-worrying, phlegm spraying, gibberish talking troglodytes distracting us.
Right Stacker! I promise to comply but only where your 'logistic corps' stuff is sprouted! Why did.n't you get yourself into a fighting unit Like The Black Watch or the Royal Welsh?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Greta is Grateful
The public transport is top class! which means people will naturally use it! However
There's a few with bullitt strikes in the walls
During The March 1916 uprising, a Pl of British infantry set themself up in what was the cavalry Club, it is facing Phoenix Park. They engaged the I R A with Lewis Guns, most of the 'Bullet strikes are on the old park buildings especially the Park Gate towers. The battle went on for most of the day. The bullet strikes on the Cavalry club have been completely removed, while all the bullet effects in the park are left to stand out, they are pointed out in detail to the American and other tourists by the guides.

Ourselves alone!*

*apart from the EU, the Bank of England, and HMG.
Like every other country in the world, Ireland borrows from several sources. But I do like the "ourselves alone" bit the shinners wet dream of a marxist utopia is still alive and kicking

Firstly my commiserations on your affliction.

Secondly could you keep your worthless opinions to yourself? Your English overlords are talking on this thread and we don't need dirty, sheep-worrying, phlegm spraying, gibberish talking troglodytes distracting us.
DwewMpHg.png

Foreigners, yup I mean those that don't speak either Gaelic or English, why move to a country that has employment issues and not speak passable lingua franca?
The Irish could solve their employment issues by banning English.
What employment issues? Unemployment is currently at 4.4% which is just about full employment. Banning English would be impossible, counter productive and mean that the majority of Irish people would be unemployable.

I was particularly amused to see RTE's morning news magazine show titled "Good Morning Europe!"
Really kissing arse there and lets face it you need to pick a side and stick with it!
Good Morning Europe is a Euronews show.

ugly

LE
What employment issues? Unemployment is currently at 4.4% which is just about full employment. Banning English would be impossible, counter productive and mean that the majority of Irish people would be unemployable.

Good Morning Europe is a Euronews show.
I didn’t say it was some form of gospel merely my impressions

ugly

LE
Dublin seems to be full of generous folk there were so many beggars I didn’t dare do my shoes up in case I was covered in change!
Oddly enough didn’t see many away from the tourist areas

ugly

LE
I did get to enjoy the spectacle of a procession of tractors, either St James green needed attention or Irish farmers have gone full on frog

Indeed - they even speak with a distinct accent from the Irish.

Bloody Jackeens
There are many regional Irish accents. Most of us can identify which county a person is from by their accent. There isn't even one Dublin accent, or one Cork accent for that matter. @irlsgt can probably identify which area of Dublin city or county an individual comes from by accent.

As an added bonus we can identify Travellers by accent as well.

ugly

LE
There are many regional Irish accents. Most of us can identify which county a person is from by their accent. There isn't even one Dublin accent, or one Cork accent for that matter. @irlsgt can probably identify which area of Dublin city or county an individual comes from by accent.

As an added bonus we can identify Travellers by accent as well.
I can or at least used to be good at accents but as time goes by the true regional or county ones have started to blur
I mistook a Cork lass for a midlander from Offaly

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Having just returned from a week in Dublin there are a few things that stick in my mind.
I imagine that The South is to a Northerner what the US is to Canada, everything looks familiar but different enough to give thought.
The current election, Irish TV (RT) is fairly busy with this yet unlike in GB there are no political posters on private property, they all seem to be on lamp posts.
Its almost as if honest folk are to embarrassed/ashamed to be seen to support any of them. The PR is obvious when you see Votail #1 and then in small print continue to support me by selecting the following (3 or 4 names would appear).
The hotel I stayed in was a business one, it had selections of the weekly business journals all puffing Bust to Boom, no mention of the fact that they needed to be bailed out by the UK and others last time around and that with the drop in Eu revenue coming there will soon be another looming crisis.
Foreigners, yup I mean those that don't speak either Gaelic or English, why move to a country that has employment issues and not speak passable lingua franca?
The Irish could solve their employment issues by banning English.
Beautiful women almost everywhere apart from the grotty public housing areas around St James Gate where skanky seems to be a prevailing look!
I was particularly amused to see RTE's morning news magazine show titled "Good Morning Europe!"
Really kissing arse there and lets face it you need to pick a side and stick with it!
Love Dublin. I don't even find Temple Bar that bad when compared to George Street in Edinburgh or that London. Probably because I normally stay in the Liberties (south of the Liffey and quite grimy) and pop in for a pint now and again. The people in the pubs are all pretty good with the craic.

Taxi drivers are incomprehensible mind but that's a small price to pay.

ugly

LE
Taxi drivers are incomprehensible mind but that's a small price to pay.
Seemed to be Albanians last week from the attitude, accent and demeanor

Dublin Port Tunnel. Used it once to listen to the reverb from the Tiger's exhaust. Not cheap and they now clock your speed through it, so as well as the toll you could have points to go with it!
I used it when I was over about 5 years ago, unknown to me the duff battery on the VFR had reset the speedo to MPH from foreign. I did think 80 was a bit salty for that tunnel.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Seemed to be Albanians last week from the attitude, accent and demeanor
It's the actual Dubliners I struggle with. The accent is so thick I generally just hope for the best and say 'yes', 'no' and 'Guinness' at what I hope are appropriate points in the conversation.